Want suggestions about a different flashlight...

I have an UltraFire WF-502B flashlight I’ve been using for a couple of years. I’ve put a lot of hours on it and overall it has done a pretty good job, but it’s getting more and more glitchy as time goes on. It doesn’t want to come on a lot and when I give it a tap it often starts strobing and it takes a few clicks to get it to a regular full on mode. I’ve never had any use for the strobe mode or any of the others besides full on, and now would like to get a different type of light that only has the one mode, full on, without all the other stuff to screw up. Can anyone suggest a good light that’s as bright or brighter than the UltraFire I’m using, that only has on and off without all the other modes to wade through, and that will take the same rechargable batteries BRC 18650 3000mAh 3.7V li-ion?

Thanks for any help!
David

I am sure there are going to be a great number of suggestions for you here.

On your light though, you might want to make sure your drop in is sitting right and springs aren’t too compressed. I had the same issue with mine and jumping around modes was caused by a couple of loose connections. Easily fixed.

I don’t know what the drop in is. In the past I’ve stretched the spring a little bit to make better contact and that has helped, but haven’t done it in a while. I use it quite a lot, sometimes for 40 minutes or an hour at a time in a NiteIze strap on my head. I wore out the switch about six months ago and the little button in it fell out and I never found it. I replaced it with a cutoff part of a dowel rod and covered it with gaff tape. That has been working fine and I don’t think that’s part of the problem. Maybe it’s just getting worn out.

Now I’m considering an UltraFire 501B. I’ve seen them that say they are 1 mode which is what I want, and I believe they use the same type battery, but some say they’re 1000 lumen and others around 700 lumen. The ones that say they’re 1000 seem to be 5 mode which I’m trying to get away from, and the ones that say 1 mode are the ones that are around 700 lumen. I don’t get…

1. welcome to BLF
2. please, don’t get me wrong but your question is mission impossible: There are, literally, thousands and thousands of different flashlight and every one of us has some favorites, you can get 10 pages of replies and hundreds recomendations. It would be best if you pay a visit to DX website, list all flashlights and pick couple that you like most and then visit Wallbuy and Banggood and Tmart, Fasttech and few more stores, and then when you have 20 that you like most you compare them, reduce selection to 10 and then to 5 and THEN ask here which one of these 5 would we choose :slight_smile: In most cases it is possible to convert driver to 1 mode only…

cheers

If you liked the 502, I’d suggest you try something from solarforce. The L2 series are P60 lights, so they take the same sort of drop-in assembly your Ultrafire does (you could even use the same on if it isn’t bad). Take a look at the L2M.
If you want something a bit different take a look at the Convoy S series.

Believe it or not they are very good GP flashlights

There is a few things you can do to make it better

If you are having to jostle it to get it to come on the springs might be a bit weak
You can change the driver on the P60 dropin
Wrap the P60 dropin in tinfoil to help get rid of the heat

I happen to like the Convoy C8 and S2 or S5 very good “budget” rigs

I happened to start with a Sipik SK68 and SK98 clone…I have since modified them and started other projects and stuff…but still like using my GP UF 502b’s, I leave one in the wifes van and one by the garage door

You will get a different answer from every person here…

I assume the output is not very high on your current light, right? Since you use high mode continuously for long time.

You probably just need a new drop in. Go to fasttech.com or dx.com and search for drop ins. There are a few 1-mode ones. For example this one But this is using the older XML instead of the current XML2 emitter. And the current is low at 1.8A, meaning it will not be too bright (maybe 400-500 lumens)

If you need a new P60 host, you can also find them on those two sites. For example this one

Hope this helps!