Want to upgrade from the cheapest Cree light... what are my options?

@Macka17, I get it now
Thanks for the clarification.

Have a good day.

Seller’s description mentioned AA or 14500 can be used on the ultrafire.
Whether it has proper heat sink or not, no idea.
Looks like with 14500, it is almost 3 times brighter.

As for F3WA, way over the budget.

What does “Bad UI” mean?
Cycling through modes?

Is this good deal or scam?
It’s $10 for XHP50 bulb flashlight.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XHP-50-LED-Micro-USB-Charging-Rechargeable-Flashlight-for-Outdoor-Sports-Camping-Exploration-linterna-Torch-18650/33018973422.html

As a general guideline, if people in the flashlight enthusiast communities haven’t done a review on a particular light, it’s probably not very good.

i would get a BLF A6 which would for u be a huge upgrade from those sk68 lights, u can probably find them for 20$ or so with a coupon here really good light and bright on high drain batteries.

or a convoy s2+ would do the job just as good.

I’m okay with the brightness of sk68.
Problem is, it’s not wide enough.
I want wider path so I can see 180 degree in front.
Sk68 is very narrow even at it’s widest.
Do you think blf a6 or s2+ is wider?

Bangood have. on coupon

a C8+ With HPL-Hi for $19.95 Really does leave those 2 for dead.
Try one b4 you reject it, side by side with others.
They fit in my shirt and shorts pockets fine.
Also can get a belt pouch for them for a coupla bucks too.
I just rec’d 3 for $2.45?ish each last week. ALL 18650 cells.

The BLF A6 is awesome. The BLF A6 with the 18350 tube is also amazing, so much power in a stubby package. I found mine on Banggood and I think you can still get it right now for $15.99 the link is below. This does not include the 18350 batteries, which are not the most mainstream. The buy in will take you over your $20 number, but you’re upgraded experience is worth the extra research, new batteries and a charger. Worth looking at if you want to stay small.

https://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-S1-XPL-1600LM-74modes-3D-Mini-LED-Flashlight-18350-p-1033074.html?akmClientCountry=America&utm_design=41&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Shipoutinform171129&utm_campaign=trigger-emarsys&utm_content=Winna&sc_src=email_2671705&sc_eh=5c4581ef17b005141&sc_llid=9733353&sc_lid=104858042&sc_uid=RUNcNsnszV

Are those flashlights good for walking at night?
I don’t need a long throw spotlight.
I want wider/flooded light so it lights up peripheral.
The ones I have only light up around a square meter when pointing down from the waist height.
Coverage increases when pointing far out but not very useful if I have to point the light on my left foot to see left foot and right to see right foot.

They have huge throw and are also floody. I love them for walking.

The problem with your current light is low output. To effectively light up a wide area, you’ll need more output.

I think something like BLF A6/Astrolux S1 or Convoy S2+ with XM-L2 LED and orange peel reflector would do the job. You can always add diffuser film on top of the lens to make it even more floody if needed.

For up to 20 American dollars, I’ve gotten a Lumintop Tool AA v2.0 for myself. Love it to pieces, exceptional little light.

And since you’re considering the 18650 format, I use a lot of those but often come back to a Convoy S2+ with a Nichia 219C and a smooth reflector. It puts in way more work than you’d expect from a small tube light.

Pop off the zoomie part of the ’68 and make it a mule. You’ll get 180° of coverage.

You can probably unscrew the bezel and remove the lens (works on a ’98, dunno about the ’68), or just twist-while-pulling to remove the whole zoomie part.

That’s an idea.
I’ll try it out.
I have two of them so one can be a permanent flood light. :slight_smile:

Removing the zoom piece and the glass does make a very wide flooded light.
From 1m diameter circle, now it’s 4m diameter without the zoom piece and glass.
This coverage is perfect but there are two issues:

1. It’s too dim as the area is 4x bigger.
    High setting now feels like low setting with the zoom glass.
    Low feels like 1 lumen now, not useful outside.
    I’m using AA battery so it probably would be bright enough with 14500 battery.

2. Led is exposed.
I have to salvage a round flat glass or plastic and glue on top so it’s protected.
Can’t use the glass it came with as it zooms in even without the zoom section.

Wellp, ya wanted flood…

Usually people go for a more traditional reflector or optic, which makes the beam brighter at the center. Even when a wide beam is desired, it usually still works better. The reason is because, while shining a light forward, it is helpful to have the entire path illuminated to the same visual brightness level. But the ground nearby does not need as much light as the ground in the distance, so the distance part of the beam should be brighter than the up-close part of the beam.

You might like the beam from a common 18650 tube light, with frosted glass or DC-Fix on the lens. Or the beam from a triple or quad with a frosted optic.

For budget choices between 10 to 20$ I can second some suggestion already made here and add some other ones…

BLF A6 with 30q battery bundled…20$

Convoy s2+ with sst20 or nichia219c ca 15$

For AA compatible. Sofirn SF14 with 14500 and charger bundle… 15 to 20$ … this is like the sp10 but starts low. Sp10 starts high. Good way to get a basic li-ion charger for 14500/18650/26650 batteries and a 14500 battery for 5$ extra

Astrolux s43… very floody light with lot of output and usb charging built in

Convoy m1, m2 or c8 for more throw, but a s2+ with sst20 is quite throwy already.

Zanflare f1 is pretty big and not my favourite but is solid and has usb charging… I bought one around 12 to 14$ once

Wowtac a1 or a2 (headlamp, handheld possible) come with usb rechargeable battery at 20$

There is a usb charging 18650 in the sofirn lineup as well that usually goes around 15 bucks with battery. Forgot the model number, but it was probably already posted here.

If you can stretch to 30$ the sofirn c8f is a bright floody and throwy beast and comes with a 21700 battery and charger.

In the $30 range, there is also Skilhunt H03 headlamp that’s very floody due to the honeycomb lens.