Wanted: Fake eneloops

Nobody has some?

never had fake eneloops, but there are few threads on cpf, about it, also does not help that manufacturing process changes, and 2 real eneloops may have small differences. also they may not be all made at 1 factory, so you can only tell 100% if you cycle them few times.

If you didn’t want any they’d be everywhere.

lol.

Now when I`m actually searching for them, they are hard to find.
I have no luck at CPF either.

Even 1st or 2nd gen fakes are welcome. Anybody?

Hey, I might be able to help you.
I recently bought four new eneloop pro AAA batteries on ebay, from a highly rated vendor (48995 transactions with 99.6% positive feedback).
I have today tested them (brand new) using a SKYRC MC3000 and the results are suspicious.
The batteries came out of the blister pack at around 1.3V; I topped them up at .4A to a full-charge (1.45V) and then discharged them at .2A down to 0.95V . I noticed during this process that they exhibited non-uniform characteristics that I wouldn’t expect from a quality brand – Their internal resistances ranged from 58 - 83mOhms and their eventual capacities varied around an average of about 600mAh (vs expected capacity of 900mAh).
It’s only after these results that I found this thread and your website.
The blister pack has a hologram seal which appears authentic. I haven’t got an original package to compare, but now that I’m suspicious I’ve minutely examined all the packaging and the only thing that appears questionable to me is the date stamp on the batteries – this appears to have been stamped rather than embossed. The packaging is VERY impressive.

Interesting. I will send you a PM!

Also, if you want, please take some pictures and show them here. That could help!

ChibiM,

I have some pictures but I don't know how to post them. I need advice on this.

I am taking the liberty to post some of your PM to me because it is a very nice PM and it has some specific questions which may be interesting to other readers.

You said “ 600mAh is kinda strange. Do you remember at what voltage them came out of the package.. you said 1.3V, but was that the same for all 4? And what is the resting voltage for all 4? And were they all at 600mAh after the discharge? You could possibly check it out 1 more time.”

Now I will carefully answer your questions:

1. Were the readings the same for all 4? No. The 600mAh and the 1.3V were my pretty loose approximations because at the time I was not expecting, nor looking for, problems. Reflecting on it some more, I think three may have started around 1.2V and one was REALLY low (say 1.1V) but within seconds of starting the charge they all came up to around 1.3V, so I used that figure. In hindsight I realise I should have taken more notice of the resting voltage. They surprised me by being so variable in voltage and internal resistance. They further surprised me when they came up with significantly less capacity than expected.
  2. What is the resting voltage for all 4? Resting voltage today is 1.4V. This was after resting them overnight from one full cycle (yesterday) that ended with a full manual charge to 1.45V. Today I again discharged them using the MC3000. Readings after 2hrs [discharge 400mAh] were 1.23V, 1.25V, 1.25V, 1.26V - these were much more uniform readings than yesterday and I was beginning to think it may all have been just a refresh issue, but shortly after this things went pear-shaped (see 3. below)
  3. And were they all at 600mAh after the discharge? No. There was significant variance (I didn’t record the numbers yesterday but I estimated an average of 600mAh each). Today, after 2.5 hours of discharge (500mAh), one of the batteries terminated at 0.95V. The others continued for approx. another 50mins averaging about 670mAh each. Unfortunately the final numbers were again an estimate because I tried to reseat one of the batteries and in doing so I dislodged the others, thereby resetting the readings.

In Summary, all four batteries still appear to be poor performers, and one seems especially inferior. Following today's discharge I recharged them to 1.47V - which is the minimum setting on the MC3000. They respectively took 761mAh, 743mAh, 734mAh, 688mAh.

I will again let them rest overnight and repeat the cycle tomorrow to see if things improve.

I will be happy to post pictures if someone gives me instructions.

I think the original capacity was 1000 sheets/roll now depleted to Zero.

Well it`s really great news that fake Eneloops are virtually impossible to find for buyers, Unless you need some fake to test i suppose.

John.

Just a very short answer about adding pics.

some pictures:

So at this point, despite the horrible results in my first couple of tests, I am really doubting these batteries are fake. The pics (above) seem just too authentic. Look at the third pic which shows the holographic, tamper proof seal.

The last pic shows the only “suspicious” thing I could find. The date - 14 11 UN - appears to be stamped rather than embossed. Also , in reality, it is extremely lightly stamped and practically unreadable - this particular battery was the clearest of the four and I had to take it into bright sunlight and hold it just at the right angle to get this image.

What I haven’t focussed on until now is the age of these batteries and my own lack of expertise in “conditioning” them. If the batteries are authentic they’ve been “on the shelf” for nearly three years. Until now I’ve only put these batteries through two standard cycles. The MC3000 gives me the ability to do much more rigorous conditoning before I can truly conclude these batteries are sub-standard.

So today, for the third day, I have again fully charged the batteries. But this time I took the gloves off.

The first two cycles I charged to 1.45V and then to 1.47V - stopping when they APPEARED to be fully charged. Today however, I force-fed them at 400mAh until they peaked at 1.52V. This resulted in noticeable warming of the batteries (33degC) but allowed me to pump in significantly more mAh. As I write, the batteries are again discharging at 200mAh and have already each pumped out 650mAh (including the battery that completely flunked the first two discharges). If nothing else, this saga is going to validate the merits of using refresh or break-in cycles.

o

The packaging doesnt seem to be fake. It has a date stamp, and clear markings symbols etc.

Stopping at 1.45v or 1.47 volts is pretty low. It also depends on the ambient temperature!

Check out this pic from HKJ

panasonic branded in 2014?
i thought the renaming was more recent.

I think the first Panasonic brands were released in the first half of 2013

I have some Panasonic from ChibiM that are dated 2014-03

I didnt noticed this thread

I have 4x old fake eneloops purchased at dinodirect about 2011 or 2012.

None of them is alive today.

All died in about 2 years

I have a fake eneloop charger. Probably the batteries that came along with it might have been fakes but unfortunately the re-seller took them and sold them separately.

@fox: I suppose you don`t have these anymore?

@doubleA: pity! I would have liked to get them.

@Budsy: Thanks for the pics and such! If you check the pic I posted a few posts back you can follow the red line until it comes to 1.45V then go down vertically and check the blue line right below the place where the red line crosses the 1.45V line. If you then look to the right where you can see the Capacity, you can see that the battery was not fully charged yet.
The end Voltage depends on the condition of the battery and ambient temperature.
This is taken from the Eneloop Pro AAA product sheet. Charged at 1000mA=1A with 3 different room temperatures.
Check out the 1.45V mark on all 3lines. That changes a lot depending on the ambient temperature.

@ChibiM,
thanks for your pics and tips.
After another full cycle of my batteries they are now reading 900mAh+ . I’m sorry about raising your hopes.
To find these phantom fakes, if they are out there, smart operators will need good tools. I started with good tools but I wasn’t so smart. Thanks for the lessons.
I’m wondering if $50USD might bring in a new candidate. If batteries are found, I’m willing to pay the prize and donate the batteries to you for all the great work you’ve done on your site.
The only conditions are:

1. That you be the sole judge and final arbiter.
  2. That the batteries are something you want for your collection.

All the best… Budsy

Blush...

No need to do that. I'd like to help people out .There is a lot of wrong advice on the web when it comes to eneloops or even NiMH batteries in general. So hopefully I can educate a bit here and there.

But if you ever come across some "real" fake eneloops by all means get in touch!

Just got myself a package of fake AAA (with only 1 cell, but I`m happy with fake eneloops... who would have thought that!

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/6287/562