Wanting an S70 - any competitors worth considering?

I’m tempted by this big thrower, especially after the current coupon… But I want to be sure I’m not missing anything, as this will be my biggest single light purchase to date. Are there any other big-throw lights in this price range that are similar, or offer any advantages over the S70? Anything with slightly warmer tint, or a more comfortable form factor? FWIW: I’d probably use it primarily with 18650’s (at least initially), as I have plenty of those and maximizing runtime isn’t crucial for me. I’m willing to do some minor modding if necessary, to save money and/or boost brightness… But I have quite a list of projects I’d like to do, and not much time to do them, so something that performs well stock would be nice.
TIA!

As far as I know, the Thorfire S70 is the only light in the class for this useful range. The only other one I know of will be the convoy L6, but it isn’t for sale yet.

Well there is the 18650 accepting S50 that is cheaper a little smaller, has no side switch so easier to mod (one solder blob raises the lumens a lot)
Equally well build and a hoot to operate.

Thanks Miller! I thought briefly about the S50, but decided against it because the S70 seemed like a significant brightness upgrade for only $10. But I hadn’t thought about ease of modding the S50 - might be a good compromise. Appreciate your advice!
Andy

The same solder blob does the same thing to the S70 too.

I also wouldn’t consider the S70 really a “thrower”. But for lots of lumens at medium-long range it’s great. Upcoming Convoy L6 will be the closest competition.

Thanks for that note! I hadn’t been following that development closely enough… Assuming output is similar, I like the looks of the L6 better, and I suppose I can be patient. (For a light I don’t really need in the first place? Yes, patience. :slight_smile: )

Both S70 and JAX have much better proportion in my opinion. If you are looking for a thrower, there is a new XHP35 multi-cell flashlight on the way.

Credit: KawiBoy1428

Nice… Is the middle one a (pre-release) L6? The comparison is helpful! :cool:

Oh
I really like the ~$30 Colrui
Up to 3 cells 18650 cells in the nice safe parallel configuration
And a nice thrower.
Ordered it in grey on AliExpress and like that color a lot

And that steel bezel in thorfire S70

Thanks for the suggestion! But I can’t find this light online… Would you have a link or item number or anything? TIA!
Andy

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_85126.html

But neither minimally comparable to Thorfire S70.

Nope, just the L2.
The L6 is supposed to have a bigger head.

If my memory serves me well, that stainless bezel is from a JAX X6. And yes, some parts from the Convoy L2, Thorfire S70 and the JAX X6 are interchangeable.

Center one is L2. L6 should retain the look with an additional of side button (correct me if I am wrong because I no longer follow their thread).

KawiBoy1428 was playing LEGO with JAX.

@freeme, too slow. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiling_imp:
Based on the dimensions that was given, the L6 has an 21% bigger reflector (in diameter) than the L2.
(Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast! - #204 by thijsco19)

I see AliExpress no longer has it
Yes the S70 put out more
But at the cost of more $$ and series cells
Were I to go on a trip I’d take it rather then the S50 or S70 simply because that nice cell arrangement and it still throws a lot of lumens :wink:
Ah check link provided it is for sale.

To confuse you guy’s some more…… My favorite, combining all 3? Hahaa!