WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

200kcd (unverified?) in a flashlight a little bit shorter and a little bit fatter than a C8.

That and a very nicely machined and finished exterior with the beam versatility of a zoomy is pretty dang awesome in my book.

Kinda sucks about the design flaws, but it’s nothing a few minutes worth of simple tinkering can’t remedy.

My modded JAX Z1 does 216 kcd (de-domed XM-L2 U4 1C, ~4.7A to the LED), and love the beam pattern and tint. Probably could crank up the amps further and bump that up, but it's great as it is now. Look'n fwd to getting my Cometa - it's in NY now, so hopefully another day or two. I'll take all the precautions as noted here before turning it on for the first time.

Not sure I understand. I get seven different brightness levels from low to turbo by soft tapping the tail switch. Are you saying that the 6 levels shown in group 6 is the most one gets with the tweaked Bistro?

6 plus moonlight, with moonlight turned off in the settings it would be 6 modes.

OK. Yes, that is the grouping I have on the Cometa.

nice find Cavesprings! Not sure I would have ever noticed, but you are correct. Thank you kindly for your observation,and the links. I have printed out the sheet that shows the difference, that is all I really need… sort of.

i did it before i knew about the problem. i put the 26650 battery in, it didnt work. i took battery out, driver spring was hot. i put 18650 in, light worked ok …. did i melt anything i have only read to pg 46 and im not sure where to put the plastic spacer. thx

Got mine moments ago. Glass lens broken on the edge, o-ring damaged, no outer signs of violence. Neither on the package nor on the box. Everything else is fine luckily.

Do I have to get into the customer care game with Banggood now or is there an easier way to get the parts replaced?

Cheers
Wolf

Finally got mine earlier and already check both body,lens,driver and led no problem and luckily it works without any mod at all :smiley:

My Cometa just Left NY and I should have the package by the end of the week, I Hope :)?
Anyway, I read to page #46 and got side tracked. So when I receive the package, I will check the Driver and make Sure it is Securely in place, and if Not I was going to try a “O” Ring approximately 18mm OD & 16mm ID to get the proper spacing between the Driver and ring to keep the wires from shorting out by getting pinched or pressed against the Body, adjusting Ring or Battery. Does that sound correct, or have I missed something else?

I am So Excited to get these 2 Light’s, I feel like a 6 year old kid and my birthday is just a few Days away! I Hope that there is Nothing wrong with the lights, but I’m wanting to learn how to Modify, Design and Build Flashlights with the specs that I want, so this may Very well be the Birthday Present that I Really Need to get me Going?

Thanks to everyone that’s keeping us All updated on the Cometa…

Please make an insulating disc out of milk jug plastic, kapton tape, or another method for the underside of the pill. Shorting your 18650/26650 cell is not something you want to risk doing. So far people have been getting off fairly lucky with melted springs, fried drivers, blown LEDs, or a combination of the above…

*_You did insulate the bottom of the pill didn’t you_* :?:

Please tell me you did?? :slight_smile:

Otherwise you are playing with a potential BOMB……………. :frowning:

Banggood should be sending emails to all of those who’ve purchased the light to warn them that the battery could short out.

They do have a note on their website but that’s isn’t sufficient and it’s not clear at all.

Consolidating a few of the various fix posts so people don’t have to trudge back ~15 pages.

‘tarver’,

1. Cut a 1 inch plastic circle [washer] from a milk jug [or something plastic].
  2. Put a 1/4 inch hole in the middle of the washer.
  3. Put this over the spring in the body of the light [where you install the battery]
  4. The washer should fit over the spring, help it if you need to.
  5. This will insulate the bottom of the pill & keep the battery from potentially/probably shorting against it.

The above will take care of the battery shorting against the pill problem.

There are other “potential” problems that could happen, they have been addressed in this long thread.

If you need anything else fell free to ask. Better safe than sorry……… :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, as far as what you asked about “melting anything”, probably not if it still works with an 18650. BUT, without looking I have no way to know for sure.

Hey guys i got mine it came okay i don’t need any mods from what i can see but the throw isn’t any thing special mine is only getting 3ish amp at the tail cap with the same batteries i use to get a lot higher amp even my c8 gets around 4 amps with the same battery…

WARNING ……… PLEASE READ!!

I don’t know, or really even care; if anyone else feels this way or not…… but we are just beginning to see the tip of the iceberg with this situation concerning the COMETA.

This is a potentially VERY DANGEROUS situation………….

Just notice some of the posts that are beginning to come in from people who either are unaware of the problem, have not been keeping up with this thread, refuse to read the whole thing, do not really understand the “fixes” described, do the “fixes” incorrectly, or just happy go lucky think it does not apply to them because their light “works’.

Many do not have a clue that they are playing with a Potential BOMB…….

This BOMB could potentially hurt or kill them, as well as those around them; if it “goes off”.

This IS NOT an exaggeration, and I challenge anyone to say what I write is not true……

This IS a potentially VERY DANGEROUS situation concerning this light!!!
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Disclaimer: I DO NOT represent myself as an “expert”, either self proclaimed or otherwise.

But this is a potentially very dangerous situation!

And I defy anyone to openly disagree with what I have said.

If anyone takes me up on this, please list your rational.
~
Also, the problem lies with the sell/maker for ignoring agreed upon specs.

’Cyberescudo’ IS NOT at fault.

The pictures below show what “can” happen when a flashlight running on Lithium Ion batteries explodes.
It is pretty much just a Pipe BOMB.
The pictures below as well as the link to the story that go with them are just one example…….
I realize this is a cross forum link but the story as well as the pictures below can be seen at this link:

[ I realize this was another light, running on multiple batteries; BUT… an explosion is still an explosion. ]

I already test my cometa and never got any problem so far.
1.check black disc to see if there is any possible shortage - none since the solder blob is flat enough and not touch the black disc,
2.check the driver and inner guts to see possible shortage - none since the driver and cable seat neatly.

But for safety i will tear it open again just to make sure.
Fyi i already turn it on for several minutes after my first inspection.
Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

Teacher, that new topic about Cometa POS proves your point, that BLFer just put a cell in and got a short.

It also proves that adding posts here about it does not work
Cyberscudo should edit topic title so the danger is more clear this topic just starts to get too long to keep up.