Waterproof large 18650 light - for crabbing

Im thinking of getting a relatively high output light for use underwater to a depth of 1-2m, in salt water, for several hours at a time. I would like to ask for some help from the BLF community with what options are out there.

Criteria that are important to me, roughly in order of importance

• Completely waterproof, immersion to a depth of several meters as a minimum, (active)
  • No where for water to accumulate and when evaporated leave residues in places that matter (i.e. magnetic rings are not really that great) (or think of dropping the light in an area with fine sand/dust and the washing it down with water…)
  • Short and wide form factor (so 3 or 4 18650s side by side) - 4 seems to give more capacity with minimal size increase.
  • Compact form factor
  • Multi Modes - GOOD UI is important, but hard to describe what I like/dont like - will assess on an individual basis.
  • Neutral White option - almost very important
  • Throwy is preferable but I understand this is a multi XM-L light is being considered here.
  • 18650 battery format, but AA will be considered.

This list will be updated as I think about what is/isnt available.

Currently I’ve seen a couple options

Multi emitters

• DRY - UI is so so… but decent price and simple mechanical design? I like that.
  • SkyrayKing - is that switch waterproof? - UI is annoying having to cycle through
  • TN31 - haven’t looked too hard yet, magnetic ring?
  • TM11 - waterproofing the button? - nice size though.
  • SP6 (is that the right number?) a throwy 4+1 XM-L design (VERY $$$ OMG)
  • APEX 5t6 - TIRed 5 emitter torch

What other options do I have?, and what else should I be adding to the list of preferred features.

Thanks BLF!

List of torches to be considered….

• DRY – UI is so so… but decent price and simple mechanical design? I like that.
  • SkyrayKing – is that switch waterproof? – UI is annoying having to cycle through
  • TN31 – haven’t looked too hard yet, magnetic ring?
  • TM11 – waterproofing the button? – nice size though.
  • SP6 (is that the right number?) a throwy 4+1 XM-L design (VERY $$$ OMG)
  • APEX 5t6 – TIRed 5 emitter torch

Something like that, maybe.. they might do an emitter swap if asked?

I mean, its 2*26650 but it doesnt seem to be that huge..

Dry is not waterproof…it’s only rated for heavy spray…not underwater submersion…

King…the switch has an O ring under it but I still wouldn’t want to dunk it too much…

tn30 is waterproof and the magnetic ring is on the outside of the body from what I gather…it uses magnets to change settings on a sensor inside the body…I think it uses a heavy greas to move so I don’t know how that would hold up in salt water …

tm11…still with the switch I would be weary…

IMO…you’d be better off with an actual dive light over a flashlight…

Oh wow, thanks for the fast reply.

Thats one big torch! real waterproofing with 4 o-rings! Very much overkill for wading depths

Probably too big for carrying by hand or on the end of a stick. Ill add that to my list of preferences.

At least it gets me thinking about whats out there.

Pounder, thanks for the overview. I do agree that theres not too much that really seems to jump out as being totally dunk proof. I haven’t had any experience with these lights, so its a little limited.

Currently I have single emitter short form factor lights,
*V60C - single XM-L throwy beam - magnetic ring, Functionally VERY waterproof, but the idea of mixing grease and salt water and then mixing it around by moving the ring seems to be a little worrying when there is no means to re-grease the ring
*M60R - same issue
*Legion - Deep reflector SST-50 light. Not waterproof. I have taken this one on my crabbing walks, and the throw and output is much appreciated, but these lights do Far better if they are submerged (reduces the amount of reflections)

And what I’m using now is the armytek predator, dunk proof, but I’m after a bit more output/runtime.

APEX is not TIR, it uses classic reflectors.

I stand corrected, the APEX is reflectored!

The photo on CNQG looked suspiciously TIR like :wink:

Sleepy time, 2AM, and work at 8! Thanks in advance

This is probably great advice.

I would also look into a single-emitter setup over multi-LEDs to minimize reflections and scatter, and favor a thrower over a flooder for the same reason.

A dive light would be more waterproof. Its just that most are of the longer form factor.
I understand that throwy lights are far more favourable for range as the light gets scattered quickly, but maybe my use is far more tolerant of floody lights :wink:

What I’m have been using is a 12V halogen 20/35/50 watt downlight, glued to the end of a PVC pipe so that it sits just above ankle height and points forwards.
I think I have the 40* beam, so it has no real hotspot, very much like a small XM-L OP reflectored torch. I guess a bright spill is also useful for spotting those crabs in the peripherals when scanning left to right.

Thanks for the advice, the search continues :bigsmile:

get dive flashlight or stick ur king in a waterproof clear plastic container :slight_smile: (what i would do is get a nice peice of rope and tide it to ur belt buckle as well so u dont have to hold it.

I will withdraw if this is stupid and/or because I have never owned an actual dive light, but . . . .

If you were to invite me along on a crab adventure, I wouldn't hesitate for a second strapping any number of my lights on a stick for use under water at wading depths. An UF equipped L2P would give maybe an hour (spare batteries brought along) . . . . but, again admiting I know little of the conditions to expect, my first choice for taped-to-a-stick-held-under-3 to 4 feet-of-water duty would be my Shadow TC6.

C8 size reflector (I changed mine to SMO, light comes with OP) 1:40 run time, double o-rings at each end and they are real thick, requiring significant effort to screw on cap and head and it's rated IPX-6, although I doubt they actually had it formally tested. With the SMO, it throws as well as a C88. The only thing I would do before the trip is confirm the bezel-to-head seal and the lens-to-bezel seal.

At up to waist depth, I might also try a JM07 or even a JM05. As long as you flush them with fresh water after you're done . . . .

noingressFoy

This will work. I use it diving.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/diving-cree-mc-e-k-wc-3-mode-640-lumen-led-flashlight-kit-2-18650-4-cr123a-4-16340-26498

Reverse clickies don’t work by the way…water pressure keep then from turning on.

GOod point about the reverse clickies!

I think its coming to a case of just strapping my usual torches onto a stick and having fun. I guess its actually probably not that bad an idea since most of the ones I have should be submersion safe.

The excuse to buy a big multi-emitter xm-l is not looking that strong yet.

Cnqg sell a waterproof light. How hard would it be to make a light waterproof? Silastic the lens, head and extra o ring at the tail cap, silicon grease etc. Should work ok for a couple of meters down without issue.

Try this…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-1200-Lum-Waterproof-Diver-Diving-Flashlight-Torch-S1-100m-SET-/320933028705?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4ab9196361

Mod a Dolphin ! Modding Eveready Dolphin
$15 in Bunnings.

Maxtoch in China also make dive lights and their products are well made. Often cloned by other ‘fire’ brands. Great company to deal with. If you find something you like just email them and they will post:

http://maxtoch.com/news/68-di6x-2.html

You might be better off with a specifically designed XML dive light rather than a hopefully waterproofed ordinary torch. :slight_smile:

Here is the light as advertised by Maxtoch on Aliexpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-T6-1000LM-Diving-18650-26650-Aluminum-LED-Flashlight-Torch-DI6X-2-Waterproof-Dive-Bright-Free/314381_501902776.html

and here’s a single battery XML model with smooth reflector for longer range, and appears to have a 0 - 100% power adjustment ring which could be very handy. Nice light:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-T6-800LM-Diving-18650-Aluminum-LED-Flashlight-Torch-DI6X-3-Waterproof-Dive-Bright-Christmas-Promotion/314381_492080861.html

are you in adelaide ? i willing to donate one of my dolphins for a project :slight_smile: i got a few dolphins