WAVIEN collars are BACK! Are you interested? [group buy over]

So the gist is with the space the collar uses up that to a certain degree the deeper the head housing the potentially better off adjustment range/buying options-wise you are in selecting an optimum aspheric compatible host. At least the way I see it. The old school Trustfire X8’s, Jacob A60’s, have unusually deep narrow heads relative to their reasonable EDC compact nature for example.

The X8 inherently has a great pill structure for heat dissapation too IMO. But’s it’s a bit top heavy as a result. The A60 hardly anyone wants to mess with since AFAIK they’re no longer being made and more money valuable left as is.

What about spray painting emitter domes with mirror in a can or any other mirror finish paint and slightly slicing the dome from above? :-)

Damn, I'm good! :-D

Cheers ^:)

In for one collar

Thanks Enderman

It will focus in a cometa? Does that mean it would also focus in a 1405? It doesn’t seem that you would be able to get it close enough to the LED to focus it properly?

If so I might be in for one for a project light I am working on now.

I like the way you think, Barkuti.

Out of the box and sometimes maybe even with a six-pack or a bota bag. :laughing: :beer:

Tried something like that 4 years ago, it worked but not as good as simply dedoming the led:

Yes, the opening is exactly 12.5mm, confirmed by my contact.
The height of the collar might actually be taller because I think they have gone away from the slice method of having the hole.

“While you are right that the aperture hole is based on the ”sliced” height, this is one thing we changed in the improved design. The vendor originally based the hole size on a depth of the slice, but because they couldn’t control the concentricity of the inner and outer radii (or more specifically the relationship between them) they rarely got a consistent hole size. We asked them to change the whole process solve that issue, and my recollection is that they went away from the slice method. ”

Ah, true.

I remember someone trying that, maybe it was easyb? Can’t remember. EDIT- it was djozz :stuck_out_tongue:
It made a very slight improvement only.

I might buy one as well, not sure yet

How about an hemispherical recycling reflector with the height of the emitter dome? Radiussphere = heightdome / sin(60)

Cheers :-)

Small optics can get a lot more expensive than large optics, since the smaller you go the harder it is to machine or use tooling.
If a normal custom collar is $2000 from an optics company then something that small might be like 5-10k.

Saabluster tried that a few years ago. I think he got about half of the improvement that de-doming gets you, not sure though. It was the first upgrade for his DEFT EDC I think.

He actually put the reflective coating onto the dome of a LED.

Forget about this “light recycling” bullsh*t. Remote phosphor illuminated by lasers is the future. Seriously.

You can buy it today from BMW.

And, it seems, Acebeam.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwKdQQ5WOXA

I’m not joking, this really is the way to go, but a bit beyond all but the most clued-up modders.

Since there is talk already about lenses I hope you don’t mind my question. Is there a way to figure the focal length of a lens? I have some that are about 21mm and some that are maybe 12.5mm.

I too want an EDC light that uses a Wavien collar but I’ll likely look at trying something like a Convoy host. I don’t have one to take measurements with so I don’t know if any will work or not. I’d be looking at the M1,M2,or C8. Though a C8 probably doesn’t fit in a pocket very well, and ideally I think I’d want an M2. I have carried one in a pocket and while big it wasn’t terrible.

I guess I should say I am interested in these, not sure how many I’d buy but I might be interested in a lens as well.

Also I think the math you all talk about is interesting but I don’t have a clue what most of it means.

1. This thread is about collars, please keep the discussion of laser phosphor to the other laser phosphor threads on this forum of which we have several.
  2. The flashlight from acebeam is not available for purchase yet, it was only announced.
  3. The flashlight costs $200, a lot more than most people are willing to spend.
  4. If you want to build your own, a nubm44 costs about $200 and a single crystal phosphor is about $500, so feel free to do that if you like.
  5. Laser phosphor combinations have extremely low CRI, less than 50, so only people who want pure throw will care to use it (aka me)
  6. The laser needs a laser sink on the other side of the phosphor to not blind someone, so it is a lot more dangerous than any LED flashlight.
  7. Wavien collars can also be used with laser excited phosphor since it emits in the same polar distribution as a flat LED.

Other than testing it with a light source, not really.
You can get a pretty good estimate by using the sun to make the smallest point possible (on concrete obviously) and just measuring the distance to the lens.

I would like to buy one wavien collar and maybe also a lens.

[/quote]
Other than testing it with a light source, not really. You can get a pretty good estimate by using the sun to make the smallest point possible (on concrete obviously) and just measuring the distance to the lens.
[/quote]

I’ll probably try the sun thing just because. I had a feeling I’d have to get one into a light and play with the focus. I sanded down the edges of one of the bigger ones to fit in an S2 to play with.

The small lens doesn’t have a lip around the outside so I’m guessing that will affect the beam pattern somehow. I haven’t a clue how but I figured it would lessen intensity or something. They will be in either AAA or AA sized lights anyway so they may not be set to all throw anyway.

I think it would be good to reach out to people like Vinh / saabluster / STO / Mitko.
They may be interested….

Technically you’re not allowed to sell products that use it, but I would guess that rule also applied back when wavien was selling them and they were used in the deft X with no problem.

How is the lumen loss in the collar? Is it efficient or is there light shining through it?

It is a cold mirror, usually 99% reflective in the visible range.
near-UV and infrared light goes through it.