What 18650 light will out throw the Jacob A60?

Here's pics of the M12 and Yezl Y3 in holsters:

MaxToch holster for $6 on their AliExpress store (aliexpress.com-Holster):

or $4 holster from FastTech (fasttech-holster):

Showing the Yezl Y3, similar size light to the M12:

The two compared:

The "Sky Lumen" referenced above is totally modded and custom at high amps and 2.5x the cost of an M12, and very little information on it in that initial sale post, specially the quality of the finish. The MaxToch's are field proven, being used my military and law enforcement agencies. If you want to get into buying a modded light, that's a whole different realm of possibilities.

Nice! Thanks for the pics. Both look like they are a usable size. I’m OK with a larger hotspot as long as it doesn’t just totally disappear like other xml lights. I guess what I like about the A60 is the fact that the hotspot IS more concentrated at long distances. It seems to me that my eyes can’t even see as far as the A60 throws (on a moonless night with zero light pollution) so it gives the impression that no matter where I point it, that little spotlight is always landing on something…

-sounds like it’s coming down to the 2X, M12, M24 and the Yesl. So now to do some research on what the difference between these is. Also planning to pick up a couple more A60’s and send one out for modding thanks to some members with great offers along those lines.

The A60 can do over 200 kcd if properly done with a de-domed XP-E2, everything tweaked/maxed. A de-domed beam reduces the beam width even further.

The M12 has ANSI/FFL rated output #'s now posted (aliexpress-MAXTOCH-Mission-M12-Holster). They claim 615 meters which is equal to 95 kcd. Convert kcd to meters:

SqrRoot (95000 / 0.25) -> SqrRoot (380000) -> 616 meters

0.25 is used for 1/4 lux which is moonlight.

Typical stock A60's vary, but range around 50 kcd to 80 kcd or so. My modded A60 with an XP-E2 with dome does about 130 kcd I believe.

My modified M12 without the de-doming does 130 kcd. De-doming can double the kcd (at best) and reduce lumens by 10-20%.

have you ever tested the throw difference between XP-E and XP-G?

Yezl Y3 is so pretty.

Bort - In an A60? I tried an XP-G2 - could not get it focused so gave up. Others say they did it. Classic story though of the limited XP-E2 amps. XP-E2's throw better but are amp limited, so depends on your build and what you want.

Ohhh - stupid me. The Niwalker holster is back-ordered, can't find it anywhere else.

Badger - if the finish/anodizing is an issue, the M12 has a really good finish - called Military grade on their site, but it's a high qual HA III. Of course it's the trade-off of cost difference and quality, A60 vs. M12. The Y3 is still available for $25 from GearBest with the discount code of GBYEZL. Great deal on a quality light, but the finish won't hold up like the M12. Stock Y3 though is probably a little under the throw of your A60.

In general i guess but i didn’t realize there was a focus problem, if i put an XP-G2 into a C8 will that focus

Yes - I've done some de-domed XP-G2's in a Convoy C8 for example. Best C8 reflector for throw, as comfy says, is the XRE version.

I have the parts for an XP-G (and sinkpad) and a Keygos M10 so when i get a soldering iron i will put it together but its good to know to use XP-E if i buy an A60

XP-E2's in an A60 are a PITA to get focused well also. I stacked two centering pieces to get the LED further out of the reflector - that resulted in the best #'s. Think I detailed it in the A60 threads at the time. There's lots of mod info on the light. I never de-domed an XP-E2 in an A60, but one guy has done maybe dozen's that way - sells them in his local country, and gets over 200 kcd. He spent a lot of time perfecting the focusing though.

I have no focusing changing ability, will i need to do it in a C8 with XP-G2?

Well..... I wouldn't say yes or no. I don't really recall what I went thru, but I think just getting the de-domed LED as far into the reflector as you can will probably work out. That's the general rule for de-doming that works most of the time - pretty sure C8 reflectors work like that.