What a great week for me, my Tank turned up today!

Conan I have both lights. You have a ‘perception’ that it is brighter because it has a rather defined hotspot as opposed to the S2. I assure you, the S2 is definetely brighter. The beam is just so smooth and dispersed that you get tricked into thinking it is less.

It’s really tough to compare lumen output between lights of differing size with your eyes. Even in the same light with different mods a couple hundred lumens can be difficult to tell the difference.

Oh I am sure the S2+ is brighter in reality, its just the tank is very impressive, especially for its size. It’s on my keyring now, so I guess that makes it my ‘EDC’ :).

But, the S2+ has a much larger battery,and can draw much more power from that battery to power the LED (Are they called ‘bins’? Or is that a different part?) and is also an amazing torch for the price.

I had a ÂŁ30 budget just for one torch, with that I got a 18650 torch that to me, is the brightest I have seen, and a great Keyring torch that is also handy, plus batteries, with a few pounds change. I am impressed to say the very least.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I will test the tank in the pitch black tonight, see how it does with the streetlights off and in a field lol

“…the LED (Are they called ‘bins’? Or is that a different part?)”

No - “Bin” refers to the brightness Rating ( luminous flux) of the LED. - Not all LEDs are created equal, so when testing they (figuratively) ‘toss’ them into “Bins” as a means of grading.

Thus a XM-L2 U3 “Bin” will be brighter than a XM-L2 U2 Bin.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXMBL.pdf

Hopes this helps,
-Chuck

Ahh, I get it. Mine is the U2 bin, the fact there is a brighter one astounds me? What are brighter torches for? Blinding demons lol?

Conan,

There is only a 7% brightness difference between adjacent bins.

Thanks,
-Chuck

lol this kind of comment makes it clear you are new on this forum. At 2.1amps you are probably seeing 600-750lumens out the front of your S2+. Many of us here have been horribly jaded and now that is just weak sauce to us. My brightest light is around 5000 lumens, but a few members here have lights that will do well over 10,000 or even 20,000 lumens. Is it necessary? Of course not. But it sure is fun 8)

:smiley:
I love it. Reminding us all how spoiled and jaded we are.

If your interested at all in a second small sized 18650 light, I would recommend the BLF Eagle Eye A6 Group Buy. It pushes this XM-L led and form factor to the max. A “Demon blinder” but it has a bunch of lower modes, even a super low “moon light” mode.

The BLF Eagle Eye A6 is an effort by BLF member to majorly improve an already great light. Custom driver (designed by a BLF member), fabulous firmware / driver software (designed by a BLF member Toykeeper) plus mods to be sure it can handle the high power.

Right you guys are:-)

Now it seems like everybody needs At Least 100 lumens just to do anything…

Being an older “gentleman”, I well remember how life was back in the Stone Age, and then along comes this:

27 Lumens!!!

This became my Standard for what a really Good flashlight should be.

I still take my 4D Incan Mag out just for kicks about every week… Maybe these new fangled LED lights are making us go blind?

:slight_smile:

Thanks,
-Chuck

Say it ain’t so Chuck! The LEDs can’t be the problem, they’re the solution!

Seriously though, if we are growing more light insensitive lately, I would probably attribute it more to lack of good nutrition in our youth, and the amount of LCD/LED/AMOLED screens we are constantly staring at.

Sorry, Pilotdog68… I know that you said something, but I can’t seem to get my monitor brightness turned up enough to see what it was:-(

What ever it was - Have a Great Day! :slight_smile:
-Chuck

I had the same problem!
Time to mod your monitor. Switch out that old weak backlight with a few dozen XM-L2s. :bigsmile:
Now I can almost read BLF with my eyes closed.

Conan great to read that your entry in the exciting world of LED flashlights has been so enjoyable and successful.

Now just be caresul that it may become an obsession as it has for many. I’ve lost count of how many flashlights I’ve bought over the years. Reading the threads on this forum only encourage me to buy more.

I am currrently finding out how long the battery lasts on half mode before I get the low battery blinking warning. I am up to 2 hours and 10 minutes so far on half power, 2500MAH Samsung 25R’s.(the convoy, not the tank lol, I will test the tanks runtime tomorrow).

Good job Conan! You couldn’t spend better those 30£ and now you are geared with some seriously good lighting tools.

Next you will come to appreciate neutral and warm white tints, the usefulness of moonlight mode, the convenience of hands-free lighting that headlamps provide, eventually you will discover hi-cri, then again you will want to get a dedicated super thrower, one day you will wonder about modding… You just embarked on an endless quest of knowledge, preparedness and fetishism. Have fun!!

My answer to that is just WOW. If mine is pushing like 600 lumens, and you can get something with twenty thousand, that is insane. Is it brighter than the sun lol?

That’s why we do it, for the “Wow”.

And you can’t really get something that bright, but certain people can make something that bright. That’s what makes modding fun: Making something that does what you want better than anyhting you could buy in any store. It’s not just about making things crazy bright, but changing the driver and setting up your own preferred modes can make a big impact on how much you like a particular light.

This sounds quite interesting to me. I vape as I enjoy the flavour and the technical side, so this type of thing may be right up my street. Do you recommend anything for beginners to read on modding/mods to begin with?

Not so great, I just tested the battery life of my convoy S2+. It was 3 and a half hours. The have sent me the 1050mah instead of the 2100MAH. The extra battery life is great, but I want the torch I ordered/payed for.

I may have to order another to get the correct one.

Conan,

Are you sure you were on high?

I would Never run one at 2.1 amps continuous. The light is too small to handle the heat!

Even on my bike with the air-flow I run in medium.

Thanks,
-Chuck

EDIT - Never Mind… I see you were on Medium.

What’s wrong with your runtime? - Your draw should be 840mAh, and that’s only an approximation.