what are good personal marker lights?

I’ll probably try this and the AAA glo-toob and see what’s best.

I’ll laugh even when being eaten.

i’m using gobers everywhere : on my backpacks to be seen by cars at night, on my hand bag as a front light, on the baby stroller (one at the front, one at the back) as front/back markers and make it seen by cars.

works perfectly on MOLLE/PALS too.

1 Thank

Going for that Dynamo look, eh? :joy::rofl::joy:

1 Thank

Never owned one but redditors rave over Krill lights

The AA is ~$25, AAA is oddly more at ~$30

When you order you pick a color, pick flashing or solid. Operation is on or off

1 Thank

the most minimalist UI :grin:

1 Thank

No lightning- or candle mode? Pfft. I’m out.

1 Thank

It’s definitely focused on a purpose lol. The normal on/off one says over 5 days of operation, the strobe/off one says 95% more life, so over 100 days…

Edit: bad math, seemed really cool when my math worked out to ~a year lol

1 Thank

actually, I did try to find a single aaa flashing light - not much around that is a known quality. Looking at the glo-toobs (I hadn’t heard of these before) I just found the orcatorch version. This looks good for me, just on and off, tough, aaa, waterproof. The nextorch one looks too convoluted and no memory - it would piss me off having to cycle through all the time (and wear out the switch)

Update: I just ordered the orcatorch in white. I’ll use a small lanyard to attach it, but then secure it tight with a rubber band so that it doesn’t dangle. I’ll test this with the gober and report back - I like the idea of the aaa glo-toob more though. Also, it was the best price on amazon here in aus - Au$21 that included a 10% discount.

1 Thank

For a basic light, what about a krill light? Can run on AA or NiMH, is rated for something like 12 hours for the extreme model and 24 hours for the standard, but lasts much, much longer, and can be connected via a carabiner or S-biner. They come in either solid/steady on or blinky, but has to be selected at purchase.

2 Thanks

Good find! Aborting glo-toobs, orcatorch SD01 and SD03 are available locally in specialty dive shops for manageable price.

1 Thank

Does an international seller carry them? US shipping is always a nightmare with customs declarations and fees…

Also check out the NEXTORCH UT41… and I see the Olight Oclip has already be mentioned

1 Thank

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any major companies that stock them, even within the States. Their primary focus is government. Bit of a shame, because they’re quite fun, but they do tend to be somewhat expensive for the amount of light they put out.

1 Thank

Nice find, hopefully the orcatorch lights have a reasonable blink frequency (not annoying strobe!)

Edit to add: Spotted on an Amazon US review of the SD03:

“Flashing pulse speed is not controllable. It is faster than I would prefer. -Im concerned the plastic attachment point will break. Metal would be more appropriate -There should be a white flashing option on the body like the other colors -The light is significantly brighter with a 14500 battery. AA output is dull in comparison.”

Interesting this thing can take 14500’s

Myself I prefer them pretty fast, subjectively that commands more attention.

Yep, and I have none, and a large collective order of cells from Nkon on the way, also with none.

supposedly 3 blinks every 2 secs. I saw it in a video, and it does look like it is. It may not be that bright though; it’s either 1 lumen or 1/2 lumen. It may not suit the op’s needs.

Update: it has arrived. It does look about 3 blinks every 2 secs, which is actually still quite fast, but not too fast. It is also fairly bright; fine for walking. For traffic I’d go for something else. It will do for us - the only time I have to worry about cars with my dog is when we’re crossing roads.

For myself on the euc I resurrected this ancient led 2 x aaa powered bicycle tail light. It actually has a clip, as well as the mounting bracket for the bike. I use the clip to attach it to the back of my pack. I polished the red lense with mag cleaner so that it is bright like new. Shopping on line today it looks as though they are still selling, albeit under various names. They have a simple cycle - flashing or solid, and a memory. They are supposedly 25 lumens - they are really brightest from directly behind.
This one looks as though it has the same sort of clip, it’s 2 x aaa, and supposedly 400 lumens (who knows). 2 leds, it can run one or two flashing or solid. You can see the clip clearly in some of the reviewers photos.

I’ve just found this style on aliexpress, I do like the form factor but they only seem to come in police flasher configuration which is a hard pass for me. Anyone see a single colour version anywhere?

I’m tempted to order a 4-pack of ali drone strobes, attach a red-white strobe to my left arm, green-white to the right, white strobe on the backpack, slow red flasher on the bottom of the backpack and just be an airplane for once.

No idea what the battery life is like but what about some bicycle indicator lights? Example

Edit: I see that has already been proposed lol

1 Thank

So…

Extremely bright, type-C charging, no steady red mode and no mode memory. I’ve designed a MOLLE compatible case for it, available for printing here. I’ll be using these for lightweight kits.

Next up:

ali helmet strobes

Also very good! They work well with a Keeppower USB rechargeable 16340. I’ve gotten a red and a green version for

obvious reasons

bearplane.

(also red for traffic, green for forest use)
I’m surprised the sellers don’t brag about the magnetic slide switches ensuring very good waterproofing though mine came with missing inner gaskets on the battery doors. The strobes can be switched either operate in visible mode (steady colour; steady colour plus white strobe) or in IR mode (slow blinking; steady). Since I have no use for the IR, I’ll probably swap the LEDs for some deep reds.

lastly, for now at least:

random ali bike flasher that fit the criteria

Has mode memory, is plenty bright, endurance testing pending.