What are some "Hidden Gems"?

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll order some S5.

I’m not sure if the quality has changed since I purchased mine a couple of years ago, but for $6.82, this C20 host:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1198400-18650-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host-with-switch
…is a nice option. I’ve built one that rotates into my EDC choice occasionally with a pocket clip, XM-L2, 25-degree optic (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007055/1574901-21-2-12-6mm-pmma-optical-lens-for-cree-xm-l-t5-t6), and a generic regulated 2.8A 7135 driver, and I like that build very much.

The UltraFire S5 style light makes a decent host for light-weight builds, but mine have all had:

1. Hollow Pills
2. Drop-in (non-threaded) pills
3. Plastic Reflector/Lens combination.

I’ve used them for my gently-driven UV lights, but the cost of a decent reflector and lens replacement add up quickly enough, that I would just get a host like linked above for a serious build.

I don’t have a link handy at the moment, but I really liked the ultrafire wf-606a. It’s a slick 2 AA light that (oddly) can also convert into a CR2 light. It had the styling of a mini mag, which is why I got one in the first place. That one was lost. I have another that I recently purchased, but we’ll see if it actually ships. :slight_smile:

That sounds interesting, if you find the link, let me know! I found a couple on eBay as a FandyFire brand. Those might make a good mod host to make lights for non-LiIon users…
…But at $22, it’s a bit pricy for a host…

A 501/502c works well for a 2xAA host if you can still find one cheaply. My go-to for these bodies (Kaidomain) has apparently discontinued them. This body with a low-voltage P60 drop-in fits 2x AA cells very well. I found an appropriately-sized length of poly tubing at Lowe’s that was a press-fit into the body with the correct ID for the AA-sized cells. I’ve built a couple, one for a friend (who I did NOT trust with Lithium tech) and a second for my dad, using a high-CRI Nichia emitter. He needed the color rendering to correctly ID network cabling and got the AA-cells free via his workplace.

According to the website, ultrafire.com has some of the silver wf-606a’s here: WF-606a

Matorch is one of my favourite. I found that it is one of the best flashlight for factory workers’ use (cheap, solid, reliable switch like Convoy, small, decent throw and brightness, acme/square threads). Up to date I already bought 15 pieces but left only one in my hand.

It is slightly shorter & lighter than the Convoy S2+ (114 vs 118mm, 72 vs 76g).
Price wise it is sold in TaoBao at promotional price of $4.50 /pc (XP-G2 R53C model), whereby Convoy S2+ is sold at$6.50/pc for shell/host only.

After swapping the LED to Nichia 219B from Aliexpress Jaxman @ $2.20 / pc, it is even better:)

Unluckily it is sold only in TaoBao, I can’t find any other seller selling it.

My “hidden gem” is the new Eagle Eye X2R. It’s from a well-known brand, but if there’s a light that deserves to be as popular as a Convoy, it’s this one. Huge value for $15

My hidden gem is the Jaxman M8 XP-L HI. Not very common probably because people are tired of the C8 design or think they’re cheaply made lights.

Out of the box it makes 31kcd with just 2.2A current draw. Pair with a FET driver and it jumps to 65kcd without any other modification. In the other thread people were arguing over a vinh-made compact light that was making ~80kcd, I guess this M8 can surpass that number if paired with a dedomed XM-L2 or XP-G and meticulous reflector tuning.

It comes with AR+ AF coated glass, DTP board and a reflector specifically designed for XP-L HI, the beam is simply flawless. For $23 I don’t think there is a better compact thrower out there, I’m surprised that just a few people in this forum owns this light.

Agreed, the X2R is a strong competitor to the S2+ and even better choice when it comes to stock lights. In my opinion the quality of the internal components (spring, pcb and driver) are superior to convoy.

How does the size of the Jaxman M8 compare to a Convoy M1? Looks like they’re all sold out of the models with XPL-Hi.

I think there’s something wrong with their site. They’re missing a bunch of models, like the X1, Z1, X6, and their Nichia flashlights.

The M8 has a slightly larger head and a more pronounced tailcap, I would say the difference is minimal when it comes to pocket carry.

It seems like not longer available… https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-M8-long-range-Cree-xpl-hi-18650-LED-flashlight-torch-camping-cycling-outdoor-Lamp-CE/1812094_32654281226.html

I want to add the UltraFire WF 501b to the party. Got this compact single 18650 flashlight used for a few bucks and love it! It´s actually a P60 dropin compatible Host and you can easily change the LED module.
For just 10 bucks it comes ready with a real Cree XP-L V5 neutral white module and you can choose from a wide variety of different configurations.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1649/10000911/2346404

Light output is stunning, the 800 lumens in high are absolutely realistic. Can´t go wrong at that price.

K.

Supfire A8 zoomie with usb charging.

Haven’t tried it but this looks nice https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CREE-XM-L2-Double-switch-5-mode-with-Memory-Beam-Long-distance-flashlight-Ultrabright-torch-by/32323872616.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.47.uiGsnl

Luckysun they make good light and are easy enough to mod.

Agree on Luckysun lights, I just bought an F3X 3 on aliexpress for 29 dollar, in my case as a mod host but it sounds good stock too, even though the leds are old gen. XM-L (I hope not LB). I will post some numbers when they are here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LuckySun-F3X-3-Cree-U2-LEDs-2500lm-26-watt-6-modes-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Hard-Anodized/2300006_32692112577.html?spm=2114.8147860.0.81.C5FIkI

The F3X has always been interesting to me. Is it similar in size to the JM30?

Hey djozz what are going to mod it with? I am thinking of building a triple XHP50 light i am looking for host. I was looking at this light its a good price. If you use the Aliexpress app they give you a bit of a discount. Just a few months ago i bought a USB headlamp/bike light from them its awesome quality. Cost like 10 USD.

No, it looks like the head of the F3X is narrower.

With XHP50’s it is going to be be one hot flashlight! :open_mouth:
I may even change my mind and go for XHP50’s, but my current idea is: I have a batch of 5 Epileds 3A 400nm leds, a triple with them on one 26650 will hopefully draw 7 to 8 amps with a FET-driver, lots of 400nm light in a small package.