What are some "Hidden Gems"?

As only you can do RBD. :beer:

There is actually some sort of silicone boot over the switch. Should be reasonably water-resistant.

OK, thanks. Haven’t had the TS07 apart yet. Found a flat silicone spacer seal in my Ti tool. Had to take the tool apart cause the tail switch did not work new out of the box, but does work now… Ironically, the $10 TS07 works Very well and it is not an electronic switch. :+1:

Hmm. Okay, you got me genuinely curious. (Again, just asking, not trying to start an argument. :smiley: )

How’s the feel of the ’501 better than the ’502? To me, the ’501 “bites” me more than the ’502. Too many corners and points and squared-off surfaces, just kinda bite me by my pinky and index-finger. And even by my thumb, the squared-off lip around the button kinda bites my thumb right in the joint. (I hold my lights “eye index” style.)

The ’502 is rounder, more of a uniform cylinder, and honestly, the rounded surfaces aren’t as pinchy to me as the ’501. Even the clip makes a sort of “hook” for my middle/ring fingers to grip on to.

I’ve got both, and comparing them both right now, and, well, those are my observations.

And I carry both. My ’502 is my holstered EDC, and my ’501 is in my bag as a backup. On more’n one occasion, I’ve had people like the looks of the ’501 better (more Star Tracky), but the feel of the ’502 better.

What do you like better about the ’501?

But yeah, agree about P60s/P90s/D26es/whatevers. They’re “casual contact” drop-ins. Typically need foil, etc., to get decent thermal contact with the case.

For actual feel, though, I gotta go with a MiniM*g style light. I could go for a tube-light like a S2/S5/etc., but I like an actual well-defined reflector/head to let me know by feel which end the light comes out of. Ie, you don’t wanna grab it in the dark and go pressing on the front glass to turn it on. :smiley:

What the…

mind == blown

Does anyone own this light? I’m just curious. I was kind of blown away by the output…

Klarus Mi7

Yes, I have a “red” one (which is more like pink… so better get it in black) and the output is stunning with a 14500 battery. I wish they´d offer a NW variant, though… don´t like the cold white …

K.

Stated lumens are over rated. Compare reviews with Manker E11. I like the klarus for its styling but the Manker is probably the better light overall.

Forgot to add that the colored ones scratch very easily. Not sure if black is more robust.

Ha! :smiley: Touché sir.

Though to be fair you’re not exactly playing fair there…

That is a work of art. I bet it doesn’t even remember that it was once a lowly 502B. :wink:

I have a black Mi7. I have very mixed feelings about it to be honest. The output is very good for an easily pocketable light but the UI is very awkward and takes a lot of getting used to. I like the styling quite a lot visually and the build quality is very good, but it’s just missing the mark in a few places IMO. Cool white is just poo. The corners on the tail are too sharp for comfortable pocket carry. I have a hard time finding the switch in the dark without rolling it around for a minute as it blends right in with the body and for crying out loud why on earth did they not include a pocket clip? It screams for a pocket clip and even has the groove for it. It’s like they got near production and just forgot to finish a few things. The Manker clip might fit but Manker still can’t seem to figure out how to make a deep carry clip. They’re almost all smashed flat and won’t even fit over a pocket half the time. :person_facepalming:

It was turning on in my pocket all the time the first day I carried it. Then of course I broke down and read the manual and found out you can lock it out with a very long press… :person_facepalming: My bad there.
Overall it’s still pretty cool but those shortcomings keep it out of my pocket rotation unless I cant find anything else. Probably destined for shelf duty.

My latest hidden gem: Skywolfeye 6508 (Aliexpress). (Not my Youtube review).

Cons: Always starts on high, then low, strobe, off. Tint is on the cold side. No pill at all, just a small sheet of alu. The emitter board is sitting on the sheet with no connection.
Neutral: More throw than flood. Single 14500 only, will not work on AA.
Pro: Glass lens, side switch only, $2.54.

Do not look inside. Just use it. External quality is impressive for the money.

Hmm, odd choice to not allow AA. Decent looking design for an incredible price. Might make a reasonable host. Is the side switch an e-switch? And it’s not mentioned on the listing, but do I see a cover for a USB charging port? If so and it’s not a separate board, that might also limit modding capabilities.

Cheap, that way they don’t need a driver to boost 1.2/1.5v up to where it will light up a LED, they can just use a resistor.
Be careful, use a protected cell so they don’t overdrain the li-ion.

Fasttech still have them in stock for 8.43$ or less https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10003894/1278200-c3-1-led-248lm-3-mode-white-led-flashlight
I did pencil mod and now always starts on high after few seconds. Its bright on 14500 and has good throw. I saw models with ss switch but I can’t remember where… Nice little light for gift…

I do not think so.
Yes, it should be. Same action cycles on/off and modes.
No, it is a 3mm plug. Not mentioned anywhere. There is only one tiny chip on the driver board so I will definitely not try to charge a battery in it. Maybe it can be used for an external power source.

Here is an oldie but a goody.
Some of the veterans here will remember this flashlight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-SUN-ZY-T619-2500lumen-XM-L-T6-LED-Rechargeable-Flashlight-BATT-Charger-/261821124639?hash=item3cf5c1501f:g:ldEAAOSw7aBVDt~T

Wish they sold it cheaper without the crappy battery and charger though.
Anyway this thing flat out throws and has the nicest clean reflector.
Larger than a C8 but even stock it is impressive.
It is a clone of the Trustfire X9

If you shop Ali, here is the Trustfire with an XM-L2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TrustFire-X9-Cree-XM-L2-1000-Lumens-5-Mode-LED-Flashlight-Grey-1x18650/32674678662.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.12.EFX816

Good thread,
Later,
Keith

Cheap Securitylng 16340

The last couple of these lights I bought would not take long batteries. Saying that I modded one to take an MTG-2 and was happy with the result.

That one looks interesting…cheap enough, so I’ve ordered. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Anyone interested in a hidden gem knife?

I bought this one used for $2 because I thought it would go well with something I inherited. I couldn’t believe how sturdy this thing is. The handle and opener stud are oddly shaped (at least for my hand) so I find that I never use the stud but the holes in the blade make it easy to open without the stud. The knife is all metal and the liner lock is part of the handle this makes it lock up very tightly when open. It’s so solid I find that it takes me both hands to release the liner lock.

This guy is selling them for about $10 so I went ahead and ordered 2 more. If they are as good as the other one it will be the best $20 I’ve spent in a long long time. I see them selling in the mid 20-30 dollar range and can say I’ve spent more and gotten less. This is easily a $50 knife so at $10 it’s practically stealing and I feel a little guilty about paying what I did for the first one. If you wait until I get the two new ones I’ll edit this post and confirm/refute the quality for the record.

Here’s the link ==> http://www.ebay.com/itm/172310413422?\_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT