What are some random tools, parts, and bits that you use to help mod/solder or to improve a light?

It could be anything that you have used to help in anyway. It’d be great to learn from everyone.

As a simple example, I use a convoy clip to hold down the wire to the pad on a mcpcb. I find it helps me solder easier, and works better for me than a flat head screwdriver. Especially in lights like the new C8 with the deep shelf.

Scotch.

Just the usual: helping hands jig, magnification however you like it, easy-to-use soldering pen holder, and lots of light from several directions. Make it as easy on yourself as you can.

Phil

I cut the end off a Qtip (paper body ones) to hold the wires down as I solder them to the MCPCB. Using the cut end on the wire, the iron tip on the solder, melts and pushes down into the solder blob on the board. Works well for me, and leaves room to get the soldering iron down into a deep head.

RBD really meant Scotch Brite. :stuck_out_tongue:
What is everyone using as small clamps?

I have a solder iron tip that I have ground flat on the tip. It’s now about a 3mm diameter flat circle that works perfect for soldering emitter wires to mcpcbs. A good pair of tweezers are worworth their weight in gold, too!

A few basics

Hmmm. Yesterday I used a cigarette lighter to reflow an LED.

I’ve also used a sledge hammer on more than one occasion to make a “pressed fit” heat sink. :student:

I use a popsicle stick to push down on the wire that I’m soldering to the led mcpcb. Before I was using a wooden coffee stirrer but the popsicle stick works better since I get to eat it before I start soldering :slight_smile:

Cheap emery boards:

I use these a lot for fine-tuning driver fit into a pill, and filing down emitter centering rings so they don’t block any portion of the emitter/reflector.

Fine-Point needle nose pliers. Assorted dental picks. Good set of wire strippers. Toothpicks.

I call mine “Stampy” :smiley:

Wooden clothespin, wooden stick from corn-dog, file on toenail clippers, Break Away knife, small long needle nose pliers, & emery board to name a few…… :wink:

Whisk(e)y…

Silicone-rubber anti slip mat intended for holding cellphones on a dashboard and a heat gun to open bezel rings.

Old bicycle inner tube as wrap around if I have to clamp a flashlight in a vice.

SS arterial clamps from medical surplus to clamp small items like 10mm mcpcbs.