What are the Best Chargers in both 4 and 8 Slot Selections ?

It’s about the same noise level as anything else with a medium-speed fan that size. (25mm? It’s a very small fan.) Definitely loud by general consumer product standards, but not loud by mid-to-large power battery charger standards.

It’s probably about the same volume level as my hobby charger, ignoring the noises the Opus makes when the fan first starts (the not-enough-oil-in-here noises). Once it gets going and the rattle goes away it’s probably in the 40-50db range I suppose?

Note that AFAIK v2.1 does not change the fan but does add ramping instead of the simple off/on behavior from older models. I don’t know if it adds any hysteresis or PID or anything to keep the fan from ramping up and down all the time. One of the reviews probably covers that. The on/off definitely makes the fan more noticeable, but with the fan spun up there’s no two ways about it: it is loud.

Doing anything to reduce the noise is probably going to be a drastic change in some way. Adding a decent fan will make the charger much larger, and it’s already big.

You’ve used the Opus 2.0 quite a lot. It seems like the

2.0 is doing ok for you. You say the fan noise is not a

real big problem to you. In your opinion , if it gets to

loud , what would it take to quiet it down ? Thanks for

the answers you have given. :wink:

I’m not sure. :~

Maybe replace it with a ‘smoother’ fan? But even if the fan is ‘smoother’ it still causes some vibration/ rattle. So maybe place the charger on a ‘softer’ surface while charging to minimize the rattle? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, that might be a somewhat possible solution to

the fan noise problem with the Opus 2.0. I just need

someone with extensive use of a Opus BT-C3100 2.1

version , to tell if there’s a fan noise problem with it.

The Opus 2.1 fan does kick on and off quite a bit; however, mine isn't loud anymore when it's starting up and shutting off. I took it when new and packed it full of synthetic grease that won't separate and then removed the outer plastic case piece, which was distorting the fan housing on my sample. It is much quieter now, but still far from silent. Even after clearing the calibration jumper it still only charges to about 4.15v, but I'm OK with that for cells I use every day, since they'll last a bit longer. It still bothers me a little bit that it is the most expensive charger I own and yet isn't one that I would want to sell at my store, because out of the box it just isn't quite right--I wouldn't want to deal with all of the noisy and failing fans. It is an ambitious charger and I think that a lot of us would pay an extra $10 if the overall quality and accuracy was better. With a better fan and better accuracy and I think it would be a winner.

The fan on my Opus 2.1 is very quite with no vibrations or rattles. I put a PC fan underneath it and it rarely even comes on now. It sits directly on top of the fan and both are powered from an old pc psu so automatically power up at the same time.

!!

!!

wight ; In post #20 you asked me how I could charge

10 to 50 batteries You were assuming that I was going

thru those batteries. The #10—50 batteries answer was

in response to your statement to me—“you really need

to be more clear about hard everyday use” when I was

asking for info related to the “hard use” of the battery

chargers.

RMM ; I got ??’s for some of the comments in your post.

1—Location of “outer plastic case piece” you removed
to stop the distorting & to help quieting the 2.1 fan ?

2—Synthetic grease: What type is it and where did you
place it in the Opus 2.1 ?

3—Calibration Jumper-Where is it & How did you clear ?

4—Has the fan on your 2.1 ever failed at any time ?

5—How long have you owned the 2.1 and the # of
batteries charged in it ?

6—Any major problems ?

If noise is an issue, or accuracy, I’d get a different one for certain, in fact I wish I hadn’t bought mine. The fan and smell are too annoying for me, I always use my other chargers…plus not charging to 4.2V is not ideal. The plastic or something they used on it kind of reeks, and when the fan goes on it spreads the smell too, just a bunch of little unpleasant things add up, and its ridiculous having a noisy stinky charger…

That seems like a “real cool” solution ! How long have

you owned your 2.1 ?—-Any problems with it ?

So , you are no longer using the Opus BT-C3100 2.1

because of the fan noise and a smell ? How long have

you owned the 2.1 ? What’s the “bunch” of little un-

pleasant things ?

I really don’t get what’s going on here based on your responses. Are you trying to choose a charger for yourself?

I’ve had it for a month and haven’t had any issues with it. I’ve probably discharged over 150 18650’s during that time and charged around 25 and it’s been rock solid. With the pc fan I have to look closely to see if the Opus fan is even running.

The only issue I have is that it slightly undercharges (4.16 - 4.17 depending on battery) but that’s within specs so it doesn’t bother me.

I want to know the purposes the chargers are capable

of. Meaning how they stand up to whatever degree of

use they are subjected to ! Once enough of that info

is assimilated by me , I can determine if the chargers

are what I want or need. Do you have some of your

personal , everyday, long term use information about

the Opus BT-C3100 2.1 that you can tell ? Now, what

is the part of my responses you don’t get ?

SIGShooter : You’ve given me some of the answers

about the Opus 2.1 that I have been searching for !

Like your answers to the # of batteries that you have

charged and discharged in a specific time frame. That

has helped me tremendously , in my trying to decide

which charger fits my needs. :wink:

xd Like this response… It’s so honest. Hopefully I’ll have a better experience when mine gets here.

Going to take it apart and make sure everything is good

B42: I don’t want to miss anything , so are the

problems you’re posting, with the Opus 2.0 (or) 2.1 ?

Your approach, I think. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful to you.

@202bigmike

The v2.0 was officially released about the third week of April, 2014, and about 4 months later the v2.1 came out.

Your long-term use requirement should be based from these dates.

Opus BT-C3100 V2.0 "Dreamcharger" GROUP BUY Now @ $ 36. New coupon code - tatasal -(to close July 15) NOW CLOSED - introduction date of the v2.0

$37.99 for Opus BT-C3100 V2.1 with OP3100 ( clearance) & $38.99 for Opus2.2 without using the coupon @GearBest - introduction date of the v2.1

As I said I don’t use it because: 1) its noisy, 2) its stinky, 3) it under charged to 4.16-14 as I recall and 4) I have other chargers. Take away 1-2 of those and I’d probably use it, but for now, I don’t have to, so I don’t use it. I like the LUC chargers I got, they have a 2A charge option and I use 26650s frequently, but they also have a problem of over charging a little. However, for my 4.3V batteries, thats a bonus… I actually think I received a 2.0 instead of a 2.1 but… I still wouldn’t prefer a smelly noisy charger over a non smelly quiet charger :slight_smile: