What are XB-D's like?

They look tiny. But are they any good for a cheap emitter? How hard can they be driven?

I added one of these to my recent IOS order. Looking forward to try it out and see 80+ CRI in close to 5000K.

I hope its good for small compact lights due to size.

Its rated for 1A (3W) max. Normally not much point in exceeding that by much..

Strange that no one talks about these..

I seem to recall that XB-D’s are used in some VERY high powered aspherics. If that’s the case then they can take perhaps a lot more current than advertised.

They’re used in the Defiant 3xAA lights (HD) also. O-L mentioned it in this thread:

and I just checked/confirmed in one of mine…

They look like a smaller version of the CREE XT-E emitter.
I have modded a couple small EDC low-cost lights with a XT-E emitter upgrade, and its a vast improvement over any generic emitters originally in them. the output and tint is good for its size. i have a couple of the XB-Ds on 16mm stars on order ( for around $ 1.60 each from ebay) to try in some other cheapo lights i have, to see how they perform in small single AA & AAA pocket lights that came originally with horrible blue-tinted generic emitters.

They taste like chicken!

I was seriously considering installing one in an HD2010 at 1.4A to see what it would do. I may just yet…

one of the most interesting applications of xb-d’s i have seen so far is in this custom mcpcb

edit: here’s what it looks like

http://www.imperialroyalarms.com/thread/1914?page=1
http://www.ebay.com/sch/lucien_kane/m.html?item=251274932588&ViewItem=&rt=nc&\_trksid=p2047675.l2562

4 xb-d’s flowed impossibly tightly together, fully/partially addressable lanes… i don’t know what the history is behind that board’s production, but seeing it seems to be run by a single guy, i sure would like to…

the reports in the above thread are that it under a single TIR it will provide a more intense beam than a quad rebel setup, in turn meant to be brighter than an ledengin lz4. what isn’t discussed though is how ranks next to the elephant in the room, cree’s own colour xm-l… hopefully, time will tell