What brand of cordless power tools do you use

Was thinking… maybe my sawzall wasn’t Ryobi, but that neon-green is Ryobi, right? So then they all “apply” for the 1+ doodad.

I still receive one builders magazine since it is free now. There are articles by contractors reviewing tools that say they have completely changed over to cordless and that the newer tools can handle tough all day work, even framing. OfCourse they have batteries ready to go but they claim they would rather change batteries than run cords and generators. I left the business before this happened so I can’t say I saw it.

I agree, this is why ai question the people using 20 year old tools. The technology changed so much. Forget about framing, you can drill holes in concrete all day with cordless hammer drill. Its truly amazing how far we have come from that original 7.2v Makita from the 80s.

7.2 volt makita - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sca_esv=566929587&sxsrf=AM9HkKlPi1NQGxJgGoexv3uIwtYLDz1ESg:1695214720414&q=7.2+volt+makita&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1tOn5nrmBAxUarYkEHXMuCzAQ0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=412&bih=753&dpr=2.63#imgrc=sv-113258379-386044922359

I mean, like, all that’s all very well and good, but only if you’re really just starting out in The Trade. When you figure just how many tools you got (base tools, proprietary accessories and battery-packs, etc.) do you really want to rebuy every tool you got, every so many years?

When I was looking for an oscillating tool just to have and be able to use on odd jobs, I had a choice. I could buy a good-rated corded tool for 35bux, or a cordless one for 70-80.

And even if I liked cordless enough to pay extra, if I wouldn’t be using it, like, on any regular basis, they the batteries would be sitting around, going stale, just doing nothing. The BMS itself would be a slow but constant drain, so if you don’t touch it for a year… then what?

I could keep around the corded one for a decade, untouched, and it’ll work as well then as it did the day I got it. Assuming I didn’t soak it in saltwater or anything, of course.

I am using Makita for ~10 years: hammer drill, impact driver and a drill.
I use the hammer dril for bolting caves (dast+mud+water) and very impressed.

Makita, but I’m not going to claim they’re way better than any other - ultimately, most of the brands at the same price point are broadly similar. Just pick a system you like and stick with it; I considered Milwaukee at the same time but Makita had better value for some of the specific tools I wanted.

1 Thank

The problem is most of these companies, Makita, Milwaukee are American companies with a great history. Their cordless tools however are made in China. Look at a corded Milwaukee and a cordless Milwaukee, seems like two different manufacturers. Both red color (on purpose or by accident?)

Ryobi here, probably a dozen tools and just over half a dozen batteries.

A couple of the small packs now will cut out under heavy load, but those were the super cheap free ones. Still work for light hand drill use. Any failures on the big ones were my fault (wet).

The big reason i sue them is they seem to respect the user by sticking with the same battery form factor. I also like the diversity of available tools. Not the best quality tools but more than enough for my light usage. Only ruined three tools, two of the SUPER CHEAP lights and one reciprocating saw which is the super cheap model (like $15 factory blemished at tools direct)

Speaking of which, i need to get one of their clamp fans and their clamp bt speaker for the lawn mower

Well, firstly, Makita are Japanese, not American…

That said, I’m not some kind of jingoist who judges products based on where they’re made, I go by design, quality, and performance. Quite honestly, I couldn’t care less where something is made as long as it’s good. I’ve bought stuff made in the US that was amazing quality, that was terrible, and every point in between. Same for China, Taiwan, the UK, etc…

I am not sure whose question you are answering but you are not answering mine.

I said the American and Chinese tools from the same manufacturer differ in quality.

I never said American tools were better.

I also dont care where things are made but that was not the point of my question or statement.

Not sure if you got confused and were answering someone’s else post. I know its late.

Maybe I just misunderstood your point about stating that the cordless tools are made in china, then, if that wasn’t supposed to specifically be considered a negative. Or did you mean that they are inconsistent across different examples of the same model? If that’s the case then I guess I can’t comment because I’ve never owned multiple of the same model.

I refuse to be part of any forced brand loyalty ecosystem but that said I have been liking Lidl’s black (pro) Parkside line tools. Some of the drills even come with Röhm chucks. Big downside is that afaik they’ve phased out battery packs without bluetooth and associated potential anti-functionality.

1 Thank

DRM and subscriptions for power tools are something that manufacturers are tinkering with and I’m quite leery of the prospect.

1 Thank

Dystopian.

2 Thanks

Yup. The Unauthorized Bread rent-seeking scenario.

2 Thanks

Yeah, that’s a massive nope for me too. Both in terms of extracting money from users, and because, as the old proverb goes, “the S in IOT stands for ‘Security’” :rofl:

2 Thanks

Had a few Bosch’s in the past years, drills only and when I decided to finally get the “real” tools, I was actually balancing between DeWalt and Milwaukee.
But since here in Finland DeWalt is sold really everywhere and liked the RED, finally went for Milwaukee. Only M18’s so far… 8 of them.

Usage has been quite small so far, but I’m really happy. They will probably last forever, as long as batteries can be rebuilt…

As far as I know the only Milwaukee power tools made in the USA are some of the corded sawzalls and some of the drill presses. It’s not all china though, there’s lots of power tools made in Vietnam and Mexico. Some in Europe. They’ve got factories all over the place.

A lot of hand tools are made in the USA, alot of little bits and blades and stuff are too. Not many power tools though. Corded or cordless, from any brand. As far as I know

Brand loyalty aside: has anyone ever wished they could run their cordless tools off AC power?
I know I have. The ergonomics, features, and performance of many of the cordless tools I’ve had were often far superior to the corded versions. (old corded Sawzall excluded, of course). Shame we can’t just plug in a corded adapter. Probably not enough space and heat dissipation could be an issue. I can dream though. Of course the manufacturers would never pursue such an item!

Gave up on a nice NiMh tool set when I saw that 3 decent batteries were nearly as much as a whole new li-ion set. Tried some aftermarket batteries and regretted the purchase within a month. Considered re-celling but that’s a lot of batteries and, back then, no easy way to judge quality before buying. One of these days when the 18650s in my current tools die I’ll buy that spot welder that’s still in my cart and check out HJK reviews for appropriate replacements.

I had the Makita 6070 which was amazing (for me) at the time. Wish I had saved mine to convert to Li-ion, sometimes I just need a spinning thing with a drill bit for small jobs.

I’ve got milwaukee M12 for drills, oscillating tool, small saw, and rotary tool. I’m trying to do less so this set is fine.
Got a Dewalt chainsaw with 20/60V battery. Had a lot of trimming and felled a couple of trees with it. Wasn’t comfortable with the thought of starting the gas saw up in these trees, I’m old and fat but somehow can still climb trees, so I spent the money.
Had to eat a little crow because I’ve had my doubts about battery powered chainsaws. This was impressive and got the job done quickly. Emboldened, I’ve been cutting as much as I can with it.
Since I can’t cut constantly but I know the battery is sitting there getting old I got a leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and pole saw that work off the battery. They all work fine. Hedge trimmer whacks through anything that will fit in the teeth. Leaf blower doesn’t compare to the Stihl I use at work but fine for homeowner stuff.
(OT: if you have a heavy duty gas trimmer these are the bomb)

In the end I don’t think the brand will matter much if the tool does what you want it to.

In the off-chance anyone in this thread is unaware: you can buy neato adapters that clip on your old batteries and offer whatever voltage they’re putting out via a red and black wire. Also plenty of USB adapters. We had a multi-day power outage recently and they came in handy.

afaik the Milwaukee brand is owned by Techtronic industries inc. of Hong Kong