What did you mod today?

The last flashlight I baked I had to bake the body longer than the head and tail. It took several iterations before they all looked similar.

3 Thanks

Quick emitter swap. Wurkkos WK02 2xAAA light. Use a small nail and pliers to remove the tiny pill. Replace stock SST20 4000k with dedomed 519A 5000k. Much better tint. I didn’t check “before” (recently) but now medium and high modes look very similar. I don’t think I messed anything up with the emitter swap - just differences between SST20 and 519A with this driver? Lithium primaries basically brand new.

Imgur

2 Thanks

Just checked WK02 with fresh NiMH and 5700k 519A:
Low: 1 lumen, Med: 30, High: 170

2nd WK02 with NiMH and 5000k 519A:
Low: 1, Med: 25, High: 170

Could the higher voltage of Lithium primaries be causing your issue?
I don’t have AAA lithium primaries to try, but with fresh alkalines:
Low: 1, Med: 65, High: 175

So it looks like medium might be very voltage sensitive.
And Yes, the 519A does look good in this host.
I have WK02 hosts with 519As from 3000k to 5700k and WK01 hosts from 2700k to 6500k.

FB

Thanks for doing that! I’ll check with nimh sometime soon.

You’re right! I tried nimh and the mode spacing looks much better. Great little light now.

Good. Nice little AAA lights.
I bought a bunch of the WK01 and WK02 lights as hosts to test all the different 519A CCTs.
That is when I discovered how the CCT and duv changes with slicing thickness and dedoming.
Data in this thread was taken with WK01 hosts: 519A, Try Slicing!

FB

1 Thank

Oh I’ve had that thread bookmarked for a while now. That’s a priceless resource for tint snobs like myself - thank you.

In case this helps: This 35mm TIR (similar to TS11) is a bit taller:

35mm x 20.2mm (21.6mm w legs) - 3 degree TIR LZR-3503, 10mm opening

It may be tall enough that a double stack of MCPCBs or a big O-ring could make it fit.
However it is likely not suitable for emitters larger than XHP50

1 Thank

This new TIR might be a perfect fit for S16 hosts? #TBH-30 High quality Led Optical Lens, Lens Size 30X19.6mm, 8 degree Clean surface, PMMA materials - AliExpress

30x19.6 with integrated spacer. If it fits S16 with a SFT40 it would be a nice upgrade.

It would also fit M1, a bit smaller in diameter but it shouldn’t matter since the stock reflector has a thick wall and the usable diameter is smaller than 31mm anyway.

The integrated spacer might limit the led footprint to 5050 or so, need measurement to confirm.

2 Thanks

Great find. I might snag one of those (or 10 I guess). I see they are 35x21.6. I’m actually thinking about it in my D1 XHP 50.3. Stock reflector is 30.5x20.3. I had trouble finding TIRs tall enough. I think it would be cool to piggyback off the switch LEDs and put some aux lights behind a TIR.

Edit: @FunkyRider86 that one looks very promising for the D1.

Those seem like they could work in the M1 but I think I’m set on using the Ledil TIR I have and modding the bezel.

My new idea is to keep the base of the bezel (so lose the “top” with the crenulations). I would then need to attach a thin ring of material to “cap” the bezel so it actually holds in the optic. I’m thinking of epoxying some copper or stainless to the bezel slice I’d make. The TIR has an oring groove on the edge of the face that I think will work Ok.

1 Thank

Great find!

Might that spacer ring be designed for a recessed groove? The part of the TIR that has optical functionality starts a good bit higher up. This may mean that one would need to sand it down significantly to have optimal light extraction. I hope I am wrong though…

I placed and order for the ones @FunkyRider86 linked to. I’ll report back here after they arrive and I test them out.

2 Thanks

Great find indeed but I wonder what makes them so expensive?
Compared to Yianmei they are like 10x more expensive.

The price is for 20 pieces. So less than a dollar each.

2 Thanks

Looking forward to your report!
I have the 2903 version and some more from the same store on order. I will also share my results when they get here.

1 Thank

If anyone knows of a TIR that fits the Convoy M21A (SFT40 or XHP70.3 HI), please share!

1 Thank

I’m not sure if it’ll fit, but I plan on getting a Ledil Iris and the corresponding holder and trying it in my M21A. It’s only 38mm x 28.5mm, but I think ~6mm spacer under the mcpcb will work.

2 Thanks

That sounds promising. Is this the one you were looking at?

I was looking at this one. It’s supposed to work with 7070 emitters, and I plan on using it with an XHP70.3.

2 Thanks

Olight Ti SMini w DeDomed 4500K 519a and 30 degree pebbled Tir (Opple 3 cct and duv data):

Im quite pleased w this one,
the DD 4500K 519a is my personal favorite warm LED option,
and the Pebbled Tir produces a nice even floody beam.

We can see there is a significant cct and duv change
between the 40 lumens and 300 lumens outputs.

8 Thanks