What did you mod today?

Brighter than the stock emitter, and throws more too. UI also greatly improved.

1 Thank

A pair of swaps to 219b sw45k (emitters from Convoy), one on a Tool AA 2.0 and the other on a Jetbeam Jet-u

Tool AA 2.0 works great with the 219b, even gained a bit of throw at 4kcd intensity.

For some reason the stock emitter was soldered slightly off-center

Also the inside of the Jet-u, everything was incredibly small. The MCPCB was so light that I had to hold it to the hotplate when taking the emitter off, or surface tension would just lift it off. It was sold as XP-G2 but it looks more like it came with an XP-G3, was very cool white and low CRI.

Unfortunately no other pics as I forgot to take more, though I can report it resulted in 1.6kcd, 4372k, CRI of 95 and a DUV of -0.0109, when using the high mode with a Vapcell 10440. Beam profile was similar to the Emisar KC1 with dedomed 519a sm573

If it wasn’t so fiddly to reassemble, I would post more pics, but it isn’t anything notable other than extremely small.

Did these mods a couple weeks ago and intended to post, but never got around to it.

4 Thanks

Nice. I had a brownish center area on hotspot when I used 219B in my Tool AA 2.0. I swapped in OP reflector and that fixed the problem.

Same for Convoy T3 - OP reflector also avoids the 219b brownspot.

Cant get rid of it though in my D4K without using frosted optics.

I’m not too surprised by that since I’ve seen it many times over the years. Usually a good reflector gasket will resolve any issues.

Just seems like sloppy manufacturing to me.

1 Thank

Continuing my obsession with the FW3A, this is my second FW3A Lume1 + AUX upgrade.

My favourite EDC hanklight is an aluminium KR4 with 4500K dedomed 519As and a boost driver. With this FW3A mod, I wanted to upgrade an aluminium FW3A to equal these features and give me a modern FW3A for EDC. Therefore, this one also had to have 4500K dedomed 519As. The Lume1 driver was sourced from an FW3X and upgraded to Anduril 2. Only thing missing, from my point of view, is a stainless steel bezel. As soon as I get my hands on one, I’ll be adding it.

I love the size and weight of the FW3A and having one with my favourite 519As, AUX and an efficient driver puts it solidly back in my pocket for EDC.

I chose a grey FW3A host to match the grey 1+7+FET Anduril 1 light I already have. The photos show both - oldskool and newskool together.

The only way to tell these two apart when they’re off is by looking closely and noticing that one has a glow gasket and the other has an AUX board behind the optic:

When the AUX are on, it’s easy to tell the difference. In this photo, the AUX lights are a green+blue mix, although with the default resistors on the AUX board, it’s closer to being green than being cyan:

Changing colours shows off the RGB AUX, which shows we have a Lume1 driver in:

Oldskool with 1+7+FET and Anduril 1, newskool with lume1-fw3x 3A buck/boost and Anduril 2:

Red is nice:

Green is too bright, really…

…and blue is a bit too dim, (causing the very green-like “cyan”):

6 Thanks

nice lights.One of my favorites

1 Thank

DD 4500K is a personal favorite also
congrats on the Aux mod too
thanks for the pics :+1:

3 Thanks

I had a bunch of these Charger circuit boards from Ring battery packs – I finally got around to building a portable charger similar to the Olight version — I want to do something different with the magnet ends, they are just soldered for now ( soldering reduces the magnet strength) – I saw a video where the guy used spade connectors and just slid the magnets inside them

6 Thanks

The Olight Oclip has such potential, but I cannot tolerate the extremely green tint.

Modding it to a DeDomed Nichia sm573 emitter reduced the maximum output from 300 to 230 Lumens, a reduction of 23%.

The gain is an amazing CCT and Duv as well as very high CRI (Ra and R9) and a great TM-30 graph!

4 Thanks

Nice job! Was it hard to open up and reassemble?

Thanks.

Yes, it was hard. This thing is not meant to be modded.

1 Thank

Now my mod of my Fenix PD40 (1st gen from 2014) is finished :slight_smile:

Emitter swap from old MT-G2 to modern XHP70.3 5000 K 80 CRI. Gasket is customized for special board and reflector size.

2130 lm on Turbo with Keeppower 5500 mAh 26650.

duv 0.003 with CRI 85, R9 20. at around 5300 K. No annoying green tint visible, which is quite interesting.

Absolutely perfect beam.

13 Thanks

I have a PD40 from back then also — One of my last few 4000k MTG2 lights

MT-G2 lights have really good beam and in most cases very nice tint, but these LEDs are extremely inefficient nowadays. Even with 80 CRI XHP70.3 HI compared to 70 CRI LED I have more than 25 % light flux and even slightly better runtimes due to lower Vf. With XHP70.3 HD (with dome) this effect would be even much more pronounced (40-50 % higher light flux with highest flux bin).

Here are btw some beamshots of my modded PD40 1st gen. Unfortunately the humidity was really high…

The beam is awesome. The right balance of throw and spill without getting too much flood. Perfect for everyday use. The tint with the duv 0.003 is not bad. Interesting is that the green tint is not visible at all, maybe the color properties changed due to the special gasket.

5 Thanks

I swapped the 3 month cycled Vapcell G50 with the 3.01 month cycled Vapcell G50 in my Sofirn IF25A and plugged in the “A” to “C” charging cord. It terminated at the usual 4.17V when complete. I think I’m getting better at this all the time. I really need to explore magnetic tail cap swaps. That would be the pinnacle for me. Sorry, no beam shots.

It is pretty much a big 219b, in that sense. Except that they’re not as readily available anymore, which is a shame.

Yes, but I am also happy that also good modern alternatives are available, the XHP70.3 HI has a very good beam with this OP reflector.

There is no tint shift or Cree rainbow visible. The beam is more or less the same as with the old MT-G2, only it is slightly more throwy (and has much better CRI).

I quite like it too, though I haven’t had as good of a tint.

Sometimes you just want the floodier beam though, which the MT-G2 does very nicely, like in my MT-G2 swapped (4000k R80) D1v2, which is much nicer than the one I have with XHP70.3 HI (4000k R90) in both tint and beam, the XHP70.3HI has a bit of eggyolk effect on the hotspot…

Fortunately my PD40 1st gen has no egg-yolk or rainbow effect with XHP70.3 HI…

But there are lights around which have these effects. Maybe this is due to reflector type or focus of the LED.

1 Thank