What did you mod today?

One of my favourite mods so far is my brass FW3A with a lume1 driver and single-colour orange aux LEDs with warm 2700K SST-20 emitters.

In the meantime, I’d got hold of another brass FW3A and planned to make an even warmer version. I also wanted to improve the single-colour orange aux LEDs with an idea I’d seen on reddit. Last weekend I found the time to get this one done.

The easiest part was adding a brass button to go with the brass host.

I reflowed 1800K FFL351A emitters for a very warm CCT.

I needed three separate aux channels to realise the idea for the orange aux. A lume1 driver would have provided the three channels, but I don’t have any more of those left, so the FET+7+1 driver was upgraded with an ATTiny1616 MCU. For the aux effect I wanted, I added 18 orange aux LEDs on a Lume Tri-LED AUX board, each channel using a different resistor value to get slightly different brightness per channel. The difference is very subtle, and doesn’t really show up on a photo.

The desired effect comes by setting aux to disco mode. Behind a frosted optic, the effect is a bit like the glowing embers of a fire. This is a nice complement to the very warm main emitters.

I think this one will be a new favourite.

Not sure yet if I’ll keep it polished, or let it develop a patina like my older one.

23 Thanks