What did you mod today?

Maybe the next mod, at the time I couldn’t find any 90cri xhp50.2. Yes, I tend to favor high cri leds some.

But you can’t do that with Luxeons.
And unmodded MZ offers better throw than even dedomed XHP50.2.

And the MZ will out throw an XHP-35? Or XP-L HI? Or de-domed SST-40?

My C8 that has a modified tube and runs the 20700 cell has an SST-40 in it making 2691 lumens at 9A+ draw at the tail. The MZ is better than this? Haven’t seen an MZ, never saw a Luxeon that looked appealing to be honest.

Luxeon MZ won’t reach the intensity of XHP35 or SST-40.

But it did 2900 lm on Koef3 bench. With CRI 90. And without dome.
On the same setup SST-40 did 2100 lm dedomed. (And little under 2700 domed.)
There are CRI70 variants with higher performance too…

Luxeon MZ is:

• between XHP35 HI and dedomed XHP50.2 in both throw and output
  • factory dedomed
  • available in 3V-12V
  • available in a wide selection of CRI and CT
  • not a flip-chip, so avoids the egg yolk
  • but with highly separate dies, so we have to fight the hole in the output

This is not a must-have emitter. But worth considering for quite a few uses.

How many amps did it pull to hit that 2900 on the bench? Datasheets make it look pretty puny of course.

LED Test from Köf3 as written above from vinte77:LED test / review – Lumileds Luxeon MZ 5700 K min. 90 CRI (3V) – Finally! High CRI, High power, beautiful light

Maximum at 16,800 mA, 2,909.1 lm @ 3.48 V

Doesn’t include whatever losses you have to do to fix the beam so not really comparable to your numbers Dale. Either way, lots of amps.

koef specifies that it is indeed a quad die (flip chip).

Edit: Ahhh, not so easy to use then… it’s going to require 5.3V to hit max output with over 16A current, so the driver and cell set up is going to take some doing, not just normal procedure. At single cell voltage levels it’s not much to look at…

MZ is not for thrower uses, optimal use is under more or less frosted tir optics or OP reflectors, currently it's only 3V multi-die LED available, with great tint and 8mm^2 die surface area. Only few big Luminus emitters have bigger die area (3V drive), but they are very expensive,and not suitable for most small/medium sized flashlights.

MZ should be fantastic for EE X6 builds with CUTE-3 and CUTE-4 optics (when I get boards for them).

No, you mistake output for Vf. It stays under 3.5V.
I was mistaken too - when I said it was not a flip chip.

Here is a 5000K 80CRI (3V) version for sale. According to the data sheet these are about 15.5% higher output than the 5700K 90CRI version (at 2.8 amps).

They also sell the 4000K 80CRI version which is 14.3% higher output.

I just want to say the MZ is not bad in a smaller headed triple build like mine either… But I may have to build a CUTE-4 version once you have the boards available.

I’ve also put the MZ in a Skilhunt H03 and a single emitter p60 build w/ frosted TIR optics as well. It might not “brighten” everyone’s day but I like them for my applications so far (pun intended). I wasn’t looking for a thrower LED when using the MZ, I was looking for an alternative to high cri nichia and cree leds, to see how different the tint would be.

Niteye eye10 triple

@vinte77:
So does the optic touch the led dies? I thought the openings of the carclo optics were too small for this led.

Why did you remind me that I wanted to do that with my Jetbeam RRT01? :person_facepalming:
Nice work on that :wink:

Did you have much trouble taking the bezel out and with the driver? Did you pick the stock wires or did you put new ones? Last question: on the lowest “seen” level, did it turn much more bright than with the single led ?

Thanks in advance and good work :+1:

Looks like he did it without using wires :smiley:

:person_facepalming:
When I first looked, it seemed to me that there was a red wire on the left side! But now I look…and there is none :person_facepalming:

How can this be? :expressionless:

Meaning: does the light work? How does it work?
(sorry if these are dumb questions…)

He’s just took a pic before doing the work to show. Most impressive if not :slight_smile:

Stupid me :person_facepalming: :laughing:

Well, let’s see when it’s done :wink: I hope there are later pictures! So that I don’t feel that bad :smiley:

Thanks MascaratumB. I did make an aluminium spacer behind the noctigon and cut down the noctigon and carclo. Cutting down the carclo was probably the hardest part of this mod.

Did you have much trouble taking the bezel out and with the driver? No, the bezel was glued but it wasn’t overly hard to unscrew. Once the led wires are desoldered the driver can be removed from the back end.

Did you pick the stock wires or did you put new ones? Lol, wireless power transfer is well above my pay grade. I just took the pic when I test fit the noctigon.

Last question: on the lowest “seen” level, did it turn much more bright than with the single led ? With a steady hand it can do - low > low low > moon > firefly > on but it’s pointless

I took a picture in the dark. It can go lower but I was having a hard time get my phone to take a decent pic in the dark