What did you mod today?

The opening between the 2 spheres of my double sphere is very sharp edged so that light from everywhere in the first sphere can directly enter the second sphere. But using a diffusor at the entrance of your tube solves most of that, good addition!

BobbyMK, the Courui having a threaded emitter shelf makes a massive difference for focusing the emitter, nice copper shelf you have in that one! :wink:

I am curious how you went about isolating the thermal path from the negative pad? I forgot to do that in my Jaxman Z1, couldn’t figure out why I only had one mode after so carefully checking the driver before installation, lol. Me and my forgetfulness, lucky I didn’t fry the Black Flat straight away! I got a copper pill that Hoop made and in my absence of mind I re-flowed the 20mm copper MCPCB to the pill, directly shorting the Black Flat to ground. Duh!

I’m curious how you went about isolating the Black Flat from ground? The 32mm Noctigon is a good idea for it, gives a lot more thermal path, shame it can’t be re-flowed to the copper shelf you have there…

Threaded shelf makes all the difference, without that this would be close to impossible without custom lens. The pill is from Kiril, he created that masterpiece :slight_smile:

The led in this light its not isolated, in fact i do not even have a driver in there. To be honest it wont be used much more than showing off so for now it going to stay driverless. But with that said i do have CSLNM1.TG waiting to be installed i just need to get suitable driver that will be able to drive that led at 4.5-5A.

Thats very simple. You only need an AMC7135 based driver with side switch firmware. You can add as many AMCs you need for 5A.

Modded a EagleEye X7 with Luxeon MZ
For the first quick mod, I used the original driver and soldered two R100 over the two R110.
To avoid donut hole with the SMO reflector, I used diffusor foil on the glas lens.
I get around 1300 Lumen. So I think the driver pulls around 5-6A in reference to Köf3’s LED test.

Later I will use a TA driver from Lexel.

I placed XP-L HD in Emisar D4. Effect:
3672 lumens, 14583 luxy and 242 meters range.

Quite a while ago I wanted to mod one of these little zoomies. I got around to doing some of that today. Was going well up until the point I found out the cell size I planned to use does not fit :person_facepalming: The same cell fits in the other host I have :weary: I might just change tack and buy a 14250 cell.

Anyway, it’s still just a host with no insides

I used one of LED-4 Power’s dual footprint MCPCBs to mod a Q8 with 4x SST-40s. I drilled it so I can use the screws through the emitter shelf into the reflector. At one point I had a short between negative and the copper core which I burned out by running ~5A through for a millisecond or two.

I had to ream out the reflector to get the emitters and centering rings to fit right. The driver connection is made using some teflon jacketed 16AWG for the driver connection. I might have tried 14awg, if I had any with the thin teflon insulation. I think it would fit through the holes in the MCPCB, but it would have been pretty hard to make sharp bends.

I also swapped in a modified tailboard from one of my other Q8s. It has nested “blue” springs and enhanced contacts at the screw holes. I don’t have a calibrated setup for measuring output, and I didn’t have one at all before I started the mod, but it’s about 1.6x as bright as my Sofirn Q8 and my 90CRI LH351D Q8.

Topped it all off by reflashing the driver to Anduril.

It’s my brightest light so far. It lights a much larger area than the Sofirn Q8, and lights it more brightly, too. Not bad. I may see if I can get more out of it.

Nice project pinkpanda, looking pretty cool! I hope that you can still make it work.

That’s quite a bit lower that I’d expect. I mean: lower that the measurements of XP-L HI stock.
Do you happen to have a measurement from before the mod? What LEDs did it have then? What is the XP-L bin?

I changed the LED three times. Still the same flashlight. XP-L HD comes from BLF Q8 so what BIN do I do not know, but I thought there would be more lumens. I am waiting for XP-L HI V2 and I will check performance then too. Until now they were:

1. XP-G2 S4 3D: 4645K, 4B, 3260 lumens, 14759 lux, 243m range, 30,7 angle
  2. Nichia 219C 90CRI: 4867K, 3C, 3043 lumens, 12279 lux, 222m range, 32,6 angle
  3. XP-L HD 3C (BLF Q8): 4710K, 4B, 3672 lumens, 14583 lux, 242m range, 32,9 angle
  4. XP-L HI 3A V2: to be continued :slight_smile:

Convoy C8+ XPL HI VS Convoy C8+ Osram flat black

Camera under exposure to see the hot spot comparision

Stock light XPL Hi got 7128 lux and Flat Black have 15251 lux (i.e. doubling the throw capacity )

I use Fasttech LD25 linear driver . This driver is awsome as you can adjust the current to suit.

i stacked on R100 to pump more current but yet to measure it :stuck_out_tongue:

Focusing the Flat Black took around 15minutes and it is near perfect focus :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Nice focussing job, Nicolicious!

Thanks DJozz

there is a technique works really well for me and I have done 3 lights almost perfect.

I will post it here next few days.

Thanks djozz. If I can’t work it out I’ll slice and dice the other host.

Interested in seeing your focus method Nicolicous

eas, your SST-40 Q8 should be making around 10,000 lumens on top cells. :wink: Gotta love em! :smiley:

That Black Flat can be a challenge but it’s sure fun when it works out!

A friend had me put one in his Manker Godmes T01, that little light really rocks now at about 56Kcd! He loves it! :slight_smile:

pinkpanda? Is that a “flash suppressor” you made for the zoomie? lol Looks really cool man!