What did you mod today?

It’s funny how walking away from a seemingly lost cause, and then approaching it with a fresh set of eyes at a later time can let you focus on the problem with undistracted logic.

Good save.

Yep, i started doing this in my later years too.

So if I walk away from my wife and approach her later she’ll make perfect sense to me? :confounded:

It could work :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, yes, the one scenario that it could work… she’d be asleep when I returned and then I would understand her completely. :smiley:

I modded my photo-upload skill’s on BLF today!

The flashlight mod I just completed doesn’t fit the “today” critium in this thread. :smiley:

DQG 4 triple mod

Today the Manker T01.

I should have written criterion in my previous post…

2797.95 lumens from 11.85A on the Sony VT C5 in Sinners Titanium 18650 with copper exposed fin pill. Tint is nice, the Carclo 10511 smooths the beam for a wall of light effect that is very nice in this light. I used 20Ga Turnigy leads and went with a double spring from one of the X6/X5 group buy lights to help hold amp draw down a bit. The tail has no spring in these lights.

This is very nice in comparison to the 3 de-domed XP-L’s I had in it before, similar output, better tint.

This is an older Sinner light, retrofitted several times, and modified at the bezel with my rotary tool to have the bevel. Now retrofitted once more with XP-G3 S5 3A emitters, I think it’s finally found it’s niche! :slight_smile: Notice the old original two sided BLF Ver 1.0 MOSFET driver, it uses the Vishay 70N02 beast. With 5 levels and last mode memory, it’s still working quite well. No worries about the apparent lack of ground, it has a 22 Ga Turnigy wire connected to the FET ground leg inside and secured to the copper with a large screw. I chose the dual springs from a BLF Limited edition X6/X5 Group Buy light to function but limit current a bit over a heavier spring with a bypass. :wink:

RE Sinner Light: You have made an excellent light. Super job!! Envious

I suppose I should fully charge the Sony and a few other brands and see what it’s fully capable of. lol I was anxious and didn’t wait for the cell to finish charging. And of course, we already know that the Sam 30Q and Efest 35A and Efest 3000mAh dark purple cells are all more capable than the C5.

Maybe after frying 3 of these new emitters last night I was a bit reserved…

I swapped my not-so-old 219C for some just-received emitters : XP-G2 R4-7A.
The overall brightness is lower of course, but the tint is warm and suits really well to the Brass :sunglasses:

Left to right : S30RII triple 219C S2+ triple 219C and Brass Beauty triple XP-G2 R4-7A

I’ve had this chopped mini-mag host for about two years and never got around to building it. Just something about the whole twisty thing maybe. I finally (grudgingly) decided to have a go at it, mostly because I had a different optic I wanted to try, and the only host that fit it perfectly was this little mag.

This was one of the most time consuming mods I’ve done in a long time. Lots of futzing around with the twisty making proper connection which was also dependent on the battery length. I copied one of Old Lumens designs, not thinking that the ratios might not be the same between a 2 xAA, and a chopped version. Had to keep taking it apart and every time I got enough heat going to remove something, everything else fell apart too.

Anyway, enough whining. I got it done, although since then I’ve thought of another way I could have done it that would have been way easier.

From the top looking down. (I’m sick of the bottom, so I don’t want to see it again)

3 x XP-E2 0D on a noctigon. (I had to grind down the mcpcb to get it to fit)

Ledil Satu optic. Notice how it has a domed top that is meant to fit through the bezel.

I had to widen the inside of the bezel a tiny bit for the dome to fit through. Not much. I gently ran a fine grit sanding drum on a dremel around the inside. I do like the the way it looks. Like it was specifically designed for the light.

After all these years, my first chopped mini mag. The chicks all think it’s “soooo cute”

The optic really fills a room with light. A close up beam profile doesn’t produce that tight circle of light the Carlco 10507 does. More evenly spaced light that gives it the appearance of being brighter. Very nice feature for a small EDC.

I tried to do a bit of a beam comparison between the Carlco and the Ledil optic.
I used the chopped mini mag with the Satu optic against an S2+ shorty with a Carlco optic.
Both are triple XP-E2 0D running at 4.4A (The wall is dark grey)

Carlco 10507 3 x XP-E2 0D @ 4.4A

Ledil Satu 3 x XP-E2 0D @ 4.4A

You had better watch out Of as the chicks aren’t the only ones that thinks your mini looks cute. Nice work and love the soldering. :heart_eyes:
I think I have solder envy when I see soldering like that. :weary:

+1

Looks good Ouchy. I really like the blue.

That little blue Mag looks awesome with that optic! Nicely done!

Today’s mod is not so much of a mod as part of a series of experiments with the Luxeon Z ES emitter. Djozz has already done some trials with the Luxeon Z, which has no thermal pad, whereas the Luxeon Z ES has a thermal pad. The Z ES is rated at 1A and the Z is rated at .5A.

It’s impossible to find boards for the ES except for this 20mm star it came mounted on.
4000k @ 80 CRI

Here it is beside an XP-E2. Note the thermal pad area of the Z ES below the actual emitter. The Z ES doesn’t have a dome.

I couldn’t find a suitable host to accommodate the 20mm star, so I had to adapt the pill from a four year old 1st gen convoy M2. Since the pill threads up and down I can compensate for the extra hight.

1.4A 17mm nanjg that needed to be soldered to a 20mm contact board to fit the pill.

Lets turn it on and see what it can do.
And the answer is…FAIL

A black spot right at the edge of the hotspot. I think it may be reflected from the thermal pad area, although Luxeon rebels have the same pad setup, but with no black artifact. Mind you, the rebels are domed while the Z ES is not.
To be fair, I’ve never liked the M2 reflector and the shiny SS bezel which I think are responsible for the uneven rings in the beam profile. I’d like to see it in a smooth C8 reflector, although I don’t think there’s anything to be done about the black spot in the center.

Its not like you would not have checked this djozz but the reflector appears to be way of center from the led emitting part itself.

(djozz? Never heard of him.)

Yes, it’s a tiny bit off, but that’s not causing the black spot. If you look at the bottom you can see how the pad is extended from the emitter. The underside of that is where the thermal pad is. Now if you look in the center of that thermal extension, you can see a little grey rectangle. It’s looks to be some kind of metal. It is raised above the pad itself, and is even with the top of the undomed emitter. I believe it blocks the light from that edge of the LED, causing the black article.
At first I thought it might be causing a reflection, so I did some micro magic markering, making it black like the rest of the mcpcb, but no luck. The edge is definitely being blocked by that component.