What did you mod today?

Yeah you definitely want DTP if you want to get the most out of this LED.
Thermal paste is a must.
If you want to do 5-6A then you need a proper heatsink, not a flashlight host, to dissipate the heat.

Thanks Steve.

I suspect heat spreading on oslon black flat is pretty bad, bottom pads are very small so power density (W/mm2) is very high at board-pad junction, over 15Watts per 1mm2 of LED die.
This board was designed for IR oslons (black flat was still not very known at the time of design) , and it should perform much better than existing insulated boards like non-dtp copper pcb for XP, and Bergquist 804087 .

I will have two oslons flat for testing soon,after test Iā€™ll do ā€œautopsyā€, Iā€™m very interested in how cross section of oslon flat looks inside (thermal path specifically). Plastic case of oslons always was downside for me, I assume there is no ceramic like alumina inside, just copper pad, the question is how thick.

I did some calculation, mosx have thermal resistance equivalent to <250um of solder layer, and if I remember correctly someone did the test noctigon vs. sinkpad 2 (gap on top) ,and there were no visible difference in performance for xm-l2 and similar leds, but they have ceramic substrate and pads have decent size.

that was me, and the led was a XM-L2, so a way bigger thermal pad (13.3 mm2 vs 2.7 mm2 for the Black Flat, 5 times bigger)

It was actually this test/thread:

but I see there is identical picture in your thread also. Somehow either I missed your thread or forgot about it. Subscribed

Yes, the observation is the same: with the XM-L footprint, the thickness of a solder layer under the led is not critical as long as you get rid of the thick dielectric layer. But apparently at the same powerlevel but a 5 times smaller footprint, the details of what happens under the led are more critical, makes sense :slight_smile:

I ordered some MosX oslon boards for testing too , and i already have some Oslon black flat leds (LUW HWQP) here ā€¦

Right now i tested one at a Thorfire C8S on a DTP board (without a driver) , with AR glass and i get otf 720 lumens & (only) 170kcd @ 5 amps , using sony VTC5 .

720 lumen (@30seconds?) sounds really consistent with my Supwildfire driver-less thrower (350kcd :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: ) which is 700 lumen but does not have and AR lens.

Yes , about 25 seconds after turn on .

Focus seems good , now i use a 0.3-0.5mm centering ring , i donā€™t think i can get a better focus for better results ā€¦

Stuck one of the Luminus SST-40 emitters on a 20mm SinkPAD and put it in a baked Eagle Eye X6 with a Bistro driver. On a 38A 2100mAh Efest it makes 2601 lumens out the front. I donā€™t really care for the blue tint side of things so I cut a piece of 223 Lee Filter and put it on top of the AR coated UCLp lens. Now I have a 5500K tint but with a 14% loss to around 2200 lumens. Looks good though, nice spot with an aura and then a useable spill.

Nice, they state these are 97% throughput but even after adding the lee filter itā€™s still at 86% so itā€™s worth it. You wonā€™t get 2200 lumens out of a similar tint XM-L2.

Thatā€™s what finally dawned on me, reducing a 1A to a 3C is going to cost lumens output in a similar fashion anyway, and the SST-40 has a higher launch to begin with so itā€™s still a win.

This is what they call one eighth O.T.C. (Orange Temperature Color) and has an 85.2% transmittance with 7% absorption rate. You can see on the bottom right corner where I wrote down the lumens before and after, seems it was pretty spot on. :wink:

I simply looked at a color wheel and chose the opposite of the daylight white blue-white color I was seeing in the output, which is a light orange. Then went through the Lee filters to find the correct shade of orange and it works great. So far, anyway. Iā€™ve melted more than a few of these pieces of film and this one doesnā€™t seem to have a fire retardant counterpart.

Very cool, let us know if it melts, but if it doesnā€™t itā€™s a good solution for sure. Iā€™ve used a similar film when making lanterns from scratch before. Iā€™ve also used one with diffusion to take the doughnut hole out of the XHP series.

Did the last days a couple of driver designs

Q8 2S/4S Buck driver
6/12V LED 2.5-5A standard parts
6-8A with upgraded parts

Astrolux MF02 same specs as Q8

TN42 driver same specs as Q8 and MF02

Oslon Black flat
DTP friendly P channel MOSFET driver
17mm and bigger

did 17mm Oshpark
and 17-24mm Seeed design

Nice work Lexel :+1: :heart_eyes:

I wasnā€™t happy with the XHP50 in the MBI HF-R so installed an MT-G2 on a 16mm Noctigon sanded down to 12mm with 1mm copper sheet soldered underneath.

That looks great! The MT-G2 is one of the prettiest leds ever made, and in a build like this that counts more than performance.

Thanks djozz, yeah thatā€™s what I think, I just love the MT-G2 :slight_smile:

My favourite pic of MT-G2 in my Small sun ZY-T08 :heart_eyes:

Wow, you keep your domes clean! :+1: :open_mouth: