What did you mod today?

Filed an 18350 tube so the threads fit correctly. Still need to adjust depth of threading.

I just completed my first buildā€¦ a S2+ with triple XP-G3.

I am elated. It actually works.

However, I still feel like a ā€œposerā€ here at BLF. I essentially assembled ready made parts. The heatsink (a gorgeous and exacting piece of machined copper) was from Hoop, along with a great deal of advice (thank you, thank you, thank you).

Most of the other parts came from MTN Electronics pre-flowed/ pre-loaded.

So here are my first build take-aways:

1. I have a great deal to learn.

2. My soldering skills are atrociousā€¦ but I will improve.

3. Outputā€¦ WOW! This kind of power really needs greater mass/surface area for better thermal dissipationā€¦

4. The Bistro UI is elegant, versatile, and powerful.

5. I could not have done this without BLF members who paved the way.

6. I need more lights.

Caleb youā€™re ahead of most since you can solder and assemble. Whatever you learn to do beyond that is gravy.

Thanks!

I love to learn, so itā€™s time for some gravy.

Nice job Caleb. When you hit the switch and it lights up is a lot better feeling when the switch is hit and no light appears. Regardless of your skills you have just modded/made your first light, well done. :slight_smile:

Received a Securitying 1xAA flashlight from Amazon today.

Initial impressions:

• Itā€™s a bit smaller than an SK68. Slightly longer than the Sipik 58 I recently modded, but thinner in the body.
  • Anodizing looks superb. Best anodizing Iā€™ve seen yet in a 1xAA cheapie zoomie light. Very even matte colored black. Not glossy like SK68s. Still probably type II though so I expect it will wear quickly. The silkscreen writing ā€œSecurityingā€ on the side is extremely sharp and crisp. Well done.
  • This is a twist zoomie. Focal length was way too long for the zoom mechanism too. Flood mode was fineā€¦ very even and wide. However, the bezel doesnā€™t extend far enough to get a focused spot mode.
  • Driver is tiny: Itā€™s only about 13mm or so. And when I opened it up that was just a contact plate. Actual boost driver inside is maybe 10 or 11mm. Driver wires were tiny.
  • Star is maybe 12 or 13mm aluminum. Itā€™s not the usual thin star though. This one is as thick as a Noctigon.
  • Hollow pill: Good thing the star is so thick as the pill is hollow. Thereā€™s a partial shelf for the star to sit only. Itā€™s maybe 3mm deep, so much wider than the ledge on a typical hollow pillā€¦ but this is still a hollow pill.
  • Emitter appears to be a CREE XPE2 (or maybe Latticebright equivalentā€¦. I didnā€™t look too closely at it).
  • Entire light is manufacturer rated for just 100 lumens on 1xAA, and it was probably producing less than that. Output was quite dim. It got brighter on 14500, but as expected, running it on 14500 instantly burned out the boost circuit. It still worked, but only on 14500.

Did a quick and dirty mod to this light tonight:

• Replaced stock driver with 15mm 3.0 amp, 3-mode driver I had laying around. Had to modify the pill so the driver can fit. Driver floats below the pill, but the light came with a bent c-ring for driver connection which fits between the pill and the driver. Driver installation was much easier than I expected it would be with zero connection issues.
  • Upgraded to thicker driver wire.
  • Replaced emitter with a 4000K XPL HI 4C I had laying around. Didnā€™t want to spend time filing down a 16mm Noctigon so I just reflowed it into the stock star.
  • Solder braided the tailcap.
  • Since it didnā€™t focus anyways, Just for fun I decided to swap in a glass lens I got several years ago. This is an 18mm aspheric lens with 15mm focal length, AR coated from Thorlabs. Unfortunately, the lens is weirdā€¦ it actually has 2 focal lengths. A spot in the center of the lens has a separate focal length from the rest of the lens, making it rather useless for maximum throw. In this ā€œquick-n-dirtyā€ mod itā€™s fine though. Gives a very bright even flood mode. And in spot modeā€¦ well, one of the focal zones is in focus.

Iā€™m still evaluating this light for possible modification to LED Lenser style optic like I did with my recent SK58 mod . Doing that mod on this light would be much more difficult than what I did tonight, but it might be worth it. Comparing my modded SK58 to tonightā€™s mod is like night and day. The SK58 is brighter in flood mode and enormously brighter and throwier in spot mode. Those LED Lenser optics are a lot more efficient than aspherics.

Thanks to kiriba-ru and the last care package from Richard finally put together a copper Quad BLF X5. i like it :smiley:

Thatā€™s a gorgeous light right there. Kudos to you Stephen.

Hi, I did a resistor mod on a stock Z1 XHP50! As I only had a R100 at hand this was added to the original R150, giving a total of 0.06 Ohm instead of 0.15 Ohm on high.

Tailcap readings BEFORE:
L:0.05A M:0.5A H:2.5A

Tailcap readings AFTER:
L:0.05A M: 0.5A H:5A

The measurements were taken with a DMM using thick short wires, so no guarantee! But Iā€™m measuring the same current using a pair of Efest Purple 26650 4200mAh as using a pair of 26350 in the short tube!

I shaved the XHP50 at the same time so I can only say it got a significantly brighter projection :slight_smile:

I had a custom Olight M22 XPL hi.
I ordered a couple xhp35 boost driver from kd.
The hard part was creating a contact board from new driver, stock driver was 28mm if I remember correctly, new was 22mm.

I measured 50 kcd throw and tailcap reading is around 4.5amps.

Nice modā€¦ :beer:
What were your previous measurements with xpl hi ?

Unfortunately I donā€™t remember. I used a centering gasket with xpl and I didnā€™t like the beam pattern. With xhp35 I didnā€™t used a gasket at all, led pcb was big enough to get self centered. Beam is great now with much more lumens.

Nice one zeremefico!

FX35 here

Theyā€™re saying it makes 1A max, so the boost circuit is pulling 4.5A to deliver 1A to the XHP-35? Can you check the amperage at the emitter to verify what itā€™s actually getting? Just curious, donā€™t go to a lot of trouble on my accountā€¦ :wink:

At 1A it might not be making more lumens than an XP-L V6 with a DD FET+1 driverā€¦ I have a couple of XHP-35ā€™s that I used the LD-2 driver for, with 4 cells, with the emitter seeing 2.87A I get some 2300 lumens.

Using just the pictures and link to the voltmeter I managed to get one working. Awesome mod Martin!

!http://i.imgur.com/4GsqtmQ.jpg !

just modded / improved my TP-LINK MR3020 travel router:

- opened case, cut traces on PCB antenna 2, soldered SMA pigtail/bulkhead connector for external antenna

- flashed device with OpenWRT firmware (and a few packages)

• maxed out TX power, set region to Japan and then switched to channel 14 (with the exception of my iPad all mobile devices connect/work on that one)

overall a great mod that significantly increased the range and usability of a tiny, low-power router. all parts were bought via AliExpress.
If anyone has an OpenWRT compatible router I highly recommend looking into the features and opportunities with this software.

ideas/sources:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3020

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=214338

Palight BOSS1, XHP35HI E2 3C, LD-M2 4S 2,5A, UCLp

s. picture is without UCLp!

ā€¦what a light! :sunglasses:

Got a beamshot from that behemoth Andi? Would love to see it in action :smiley:

ā€¦in 6 Days we have a ā€œMeetingā€, with lots of Luxmeters and Ulbricht Sphere, then we will make Beamshots. :wink:

Nice mod Andi. If I had time Iā€™d love to have a play with the XHP35.

I still hope to get there too but I fear, since I can only start off on saturday, that I will not be able to get to south Germany in time (and rush back to Amsterdam on sunday)