What did you mod today?

Unbelievable, but, I think the pipe dream kludgy setup does pretty well. Dale and Richard have the same exact design, built by the same guys: rdrfronty and manxbuggy1, and I always thought it scaled up well. It handles 100 mm heads with no problem. Of course I've never tested anything over 9K lumens, so 30K+ is new territory, but hoping once I could get amp #'s, we could compare to rough calculations. I thought 5K-7K was pretty good, for example with the dual MT-G2 NiWalker Nova I have - it seemed to compare well with what others measured and posted.

Should take some better pics, but here's the basic pipe dream:

White PVC, black painted on the outside. Glass is siliconed in on each end, with variable sized gray foam rubber inserts for various size lights.

Melted pipe dream after you measure that monster. :stuck_out_tongue:

Long live the worms. I hope you post up a new build thread on this one Tom. I clicked on the link to the leds and none in stock, I thought you were on drugs until I read further down that you bought the lot. How do you know what tint they are?
$20.00 shipping is probably reasonable. Thats about what it costs to get a small package from the states to us.

Tint is E2, which is warm side of cool, or cooler than neutral, or... Ok - it's 5700K, or 2A, 2B, 2C or 2D - roll the dice. It's in the P/N, and the 0 before the E2 means under 70 CRI, so worse group of CRI, but expected from the top output bin.

XHP50A-00-0000-D00K20E2 -> http://www.mouser.comXHP50-516126.pdf or http://www.cree.com XHP50.pdf

Thanks Tom. Its not everyoneā€™s cup of tea, 2C is my fav tint. If they turn out to be that tint and you dont like it give me a holler. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah PD, sorry so late, but thatā€™s an 18350 Sinner Mokume Gane, Copper and Nickel silver. I made the polycarbonate threaded plug to solve a bit of a problem that very first damascus style light of his ran into. :wink:

Tom, Richard measured 30,000 on his light box with the TR-J20 and 12 XHP-50ā€™s, a single FET ran that one just fine. The P box handled it fine too, but the light took some serious heat sink to allow it to runā€¦

Today, I put an FET driver with TKā€™s ramping firmware in an L6, top tier XHP-70 on a 26mm Maxtoch mcpcb, emitter shelf machined to fit the larger mcpcb. 16 ga leads to the driver, 18ga to the emitter. 18ga bypass in the tail. With 2 Basenā€™s down at 4.08V it did 9.77A and 6109.95 lumens. Cells are on the charger.

Yea, the stock J20 setup beats this S88 light in heat sinking by a mile - it's pretty bad. Not much within reason I can do bout it I'm afraid. Unfortunately for me, the light will be for show. If a could make a video walking around in the woods on a cold winter night, that would be cool, otherwise it's gonna be a 10 sec wow light.

Gonna go with HQ's BLF SRK triple driver here.

My freshly modified L6 does 7038 lumens pulling 11+A at the tail on a pair of fully charged Basen cells. Crazy! Pretty sure this is a P binned XHP-70, it was the highest available at Cutter when the L6 was released.

There must be something in the water where you live Dale. Can you ship some over here. No, make that ship a whole lot over here. Thats global warming wattage there. :slight_smile:

Wow! Can you remind us if that is right at start or after 30sec? Do you have a throw number for that L6?

I didnā€™t take a lux reading but when I was out walking with it I could plainly see the barn North of us at 610 yds by brute force. :wink:

Nitecore Tube

Looks more like a CRX Cube to me. :slight_smile:

Wow! With Stock driver? Which resistors did you choose?

well a small mod .I taught the lathe to mill

made a bar up drilled and filed a hole to take a 3/8 tool steel,bolted on a elcheapo ebay vice
and were away ā€¦

K, a lathe that mills - that's pretty cool!

Dale - that L6 mod is awesome!! Yea, I'd like to see what kcd you get - awesome! XHP70's don't get the big kcd's, but they do, like you said, throw a lot of light down field.

What did I mod yesterday? A whole lotta nothin!

I am waiting not-so-patiently for LEDDNA to deliver emitters for my current project. Iā€™ve done about as much prep work as I possibly can without the emitters being here.

Anybody want to overnight me some XP-L 3A tint? :sushi: :weary: :zipper_mouth_face:

nofear87, I built a Zener modified FET driver with ToyKeeperā€™s ramping firmware. Itā€™s a 64 step ramp, with reversing and last mode memory. Press and hold from off for instant access to the lowest mode regardless of stored memory mode, click on and quickly click again for a double click to instant Turbo, again regardless of memory. If ramping up you stop for more than 2 seconds, ramping again continues to go up. If you stop and then press again in less than 2 seconds it reverses. And vice versa for ramping down. The ramping action stops at either end, click to change direction.

Itā€™s more difficult to type out than it is to work, I assure you.

I actually managed to get my ZebraLight SC52 apart and built a tiny driver with this ramping firmware for it. The little SC52 makes 1117 lumens through an XP-L V6 3D using a red AW IMR 14500 cellā€¦ Love it! (did this a while back)

If you donā€™t have DTP star(s) then the led dieā€™s will be significantly hotter than the mcpcb. No matter what. No matter how hot the host gets or how fast it gets hot, itā€™s simply the way it is with thermal resistance. The dielectric membrane is like a blanket which will always be hotter on the led side. For a single led 3A or less isnā€™t a problem but the more LEDs share the same mcpcb the hotter that mcpcb will get and the membrane guarantees that the dies will be even hotter to the point that 3A per led is enough to melt the bond wires.

Some new testing on the modified L6. Last night when I used it and it got pretty hot it glitched. So this afternoon I pulled the MCU and put a new one on with no LVP, also replaced the Zener while I was there.

Fresh charged the Basenā€™s, start value on output was 7245 lumens
Took an amp reading at the tail and it was 11.11A.

Then took another Turbo to moon set of readings, it was doing 7038 in Turbo, 32.95 at the lowest.

From 7038 at start
30 sec 6348
60 sec 6175.5
90 sec 6072 Too hot to hold with it vertical in the light box and foam around the head.

Cells were down to 4.02 and 4.03V

Cells are back on the charger, will get a lux reading next and add it here within the hour.

Lux is 129Kcd for 718.33M throw. Not shabby for a light of this style, itā€™s certainly no pencil beam, wide bunch of light coming from this one!