what do you guys think of this headlamp? Looks very promising

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CREE1200Lumens-XM-L-T6LED-Headlamp-Headlig…

one of us had to have bought one right? over 200 of these sold….

please chime in.

but if not, what you guys think. i like it, looks pretty comfy, sturdy, zoom feature, and takes AA.

i found similiar one or exact headlight, but takes 2×18650

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-XMLT6LED-Zoomable-HeadLight-HeadLamp-Adju…

typically, which would be brighter, 4 AA or 2×18650 cells? i wanna try one of these lights but i want the brighter one. which one you guys think?

I got a $14 3xAAA zoomy headlamp that’s has a head similar to the Sipik SK68. It’s not floody enough for any close work, or even hiking like I do, but zooming from the headlamp is kinda cool.

I don’t like the idea of 4xAA for two reasons - one, I don’t dig alkaline cells anymore. Two - that’s a big box to have strapped to the back of your head.

2x18650s strapped to your head doesn’t sound like he safest combo, but maybe it’s wired up well.

Both lamps look well-designed in the front to offer good flood, and will be nice and bright, but the current coming from two 3.7v 18650s should bring much higher output and better run time than 4xAAs, I think.

What a coincidence.
I’m going through a dispute as we speak concerning that light with a different Ebay seller.
The problem I’m having with mine is high and low practically has no difference in output.
It wasn’t that way when I first turned it on.
High in flood mode was pretty bright. In fact it was brighter than my XML Yezl T9 zoomie in flood mode.
But when zoomed to spot, the Yezl is brighter because the spot’s tighter.
After running it for about 10 minutes it dimmed to low and the problem is still there.
Even the strobe is in low output.
I’m only running it off Duracell alkies, my eneloops were still being charged at that time.
I am not trying to deter you from potentially purchasing that headlight, since I just probably just got a lemon.
Just wanted to relate what I’m going through right now.
Although I have to admit the runaround that I’m getting from the seller is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
So much so that I’ve altered my sights on this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280854191080?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5208wt_1186
I think this is the same headlamp that ILF posted that he was pleased with.
More than likely I think I’ll give it a shot.

I have that first headlamp, review/impressions here. I had been waiting for another seller to sell it, as my seller quit carrying it. It's really nice, but the battery contacts are rather cheap and move around - you have to be careful inserting and removing cells. Plenty of smooth flood when zoomed out (my usual use of a headlamp). The battery pack isn't that heavy on your head and the strap is comfortable. Highly recommended for $25. Isn't driven really hard, driven more respectable for better runtime (suits me fine).

Those dual 18650 headlamps both seems to be 18650's in parallel which is a good safer arrangement.

-Garry

hey makapuu, you said you looking to find another seller with this light….theres actually plenty of them. just type in zoom xml headlamp and they will show up on the first page.
i originally was gonna purchase that red one that ilf recommended in that thread, but that got me looking to see if i can find a better one (a zoomy thats just as bright). i just like the flood mode on zoomies, wide spill no hot spot.

nice review gary. i ended purchasing one, but i got the 2x18650 one since jaffo said it should be brighter vs the 4 AA’s one.

hey gary , did you ever buy that red one? im wondering how the two compares

No, I never bought the red one (the UltraOK). I'm happy between my 4AA and my UF-H3. Although I'm still slowly finding ones well suited for my co-workers to use underground.

-Garry

I envy you Garry. I wish I got a good one.
The problem with mine happened within 10 minutes after turning it on.
Before the problem happened, I was very happy with the performance.
I’m now dealing with a evasive seller who is giving me some side stepping answers.

I’m probably going to purchase a different headlamp. More than likely the one in the link I posted.
There’s something inside me that makes me leery about purchasing the same item that gave me problems.

if you do get the red one that you linked, let us know us it compares with this blue one.

Ordered it at 9:24 this morning.
Got the shipped notice at 5:48 tonight. Wow !
Will let you know in about 12 - 14 days.

I just stumbled across this on the web. That 4AA headlamp is a clone of an LED Lenser H14. Seems the lens / optic system is much better on the Lenser. Sells for around $70 (Amazon).

-Garry

Was there a review on some 2 x 18650 headlamp?

Yes, _the_ posted impressions of ones in this thread. I don't know if he ever did a full review or not.

-Garry

No I didn't, but I bought another (maybe that tells something :))

must be pretty good then.
why dont you try one of those blue ones?

Just got the headlamp and I’m very happy with it.
I much prefer this one compared to the blue one. This one has a regular reflectored flashlight beam, spot, corona, spill.
The blue one was a zoomie that had a no hotspot flood and a square image focused hotspot.
It’s still daylight here, but I can tell from a whitewall shot that this headlamp can throw. More than the blue one.
The lamp does protrude, but when I jogged with it, you can feel it tug evenly on your head because the battery pack in the back of your head acts as a counterweight. Although I wouldn’t challenge Usain Bolt with it on. :bigsmile:
Because it protrudes, the spill doesn’t get in your eye when you ratchet down the angle.
It only gets in my eyes a little when I angle it straight down.
The hi and low is spaced about right for me, but I could do without the strobe.
It could have been better also if it had memory instead of cycling through the modes to turn it off.
What I do like is that the on button is on the top of the lamp. The button was on the battery pack with the blue one.
It’s roughly about 5 bucks cheaper than the blue one, which is also a plus.
Despite the minor flaws, I would definitely buy another one.

very nice! i just recieved the blue one yesterday and i love it hahah! i thought the throw is decent enough. throws further than my 18650 sipik sk68 clone. and much brighter too.
if anyone has the uf t20 zoomie, its almost identical to that but the blue headlamp has a slightly larger flood.

so im thinking the red one doesnt have the flood like the blue one since its not a zoomie right? i prefer the flood over the throw on this one since its a headlamp.

i do like how the on/off button is on the top of the lamp on the red one though.

I used the red one for 5 weeks in the Australian outback with no problems. Even low mode was still very bright. The only bad thing my wife never gave this one back and I had to use old Q5 headlamp

headlamp for ladies .. i would want one!!

has microphone in front of mouth :D

probably cost a few hundred though lol