What does EDC mean

Technically, anything can be an EDC as long as you carry it around with you daily.

You can modify the minimags for more output,but IMO the drop-ins aren’t worth it (decent lights only cost a bit more). The Solitare is better of being replaced with another light unless it has some sentimental value. The Balder SE-1 is nice, but mine has a short warmup time that I wish wasn’t there (less then 0.5 seconds). I still like it though, and it works great with a 14500.

The term EDC also refers to the philosophy or spirit of ‘preparedness’ that goes along with the selection and carrying of these items. Implicit in the term is the sense that an EDC is an individual’s personal selection of equipment, arrived at after deliberation, rather than a standardized kit.

EDC items normally fit in a pocket, or small pack, or be attached to clothing. Emphasis is placed on the usefulness, accessibility and reliability of these items. As an example, the core elements of a typical EDC might include a folding pocket knife, a flashlight, a cell phone/smart Phone, and a multi-tool. These items are often carried in pockets or collected into a pack or organizer.

There is a spectrum of situations for which an EDC might be devised which range from the predictable and mundane to the rare and serious. Some EDCers focus on unthreatening, day-to-day situations and are principally interested in ways to efficiently organize common items like pens, keys, cell phones/smart phones and cash/credit cards. However, the EDC mindset leans towards tackling problems or dealing with challenges so it is rare to find an EDC that does not include tools of some kind, such as a Swiss Army knife or multi-tool. In addition, many EDCs include some provision for tackling less common situations or emergencies, such as an injury or finding oneself lost or stranded. Thus, an EDC kit could include an emergency whistle, a way to start a fire or a small first-aid kit.

Some EDCers include personal protection in their selection criteria when choosing equipment. Their EDC kits may include handguns, knives suitable for defense or items such as pens which can also function as kubotans. In addition to the usual criteria for assembling an EDC, local regulations and legislation can become a factor. Many countries have imposed restrictions on carrying knives and all govern ownership of firearms. In countries where civilians are permitted to carry firearms, such as the United States, there may be additional local laws regulating the circumstances under which one may carry a concealed weapon (CCW) or openly carry a firearm. Various advice is available for those seeking to carry firearms as part of their EDC.[2]

At the far end of the spectrum of emergencies which would be considered when devising an EDC are major disasters, such as those for which one might construct a Bug-out bag. Or beyond that, a few EDCers are also survivalists who might envisage a longer-term breakdown of society. However the typical EDC emphasis is on dealing with day-to-day challenges combined with some preparedness for more common emergencies such as injury, outdoor survival or personal protection.

While some simple EDCs can be distributed efficiently among pockets in one’s clothing, for many people their ideal selection of gear is at odds with the way they prefer to dress. For that reason, carry options are frequently expanded by the addition of clothing accessories like a fanny pack, purse, small day pack, or even footwear like long boots or a vest with pockets. The multiple large pockets of cargo pants make them a popular EDCer choice.[3]

Frequently the kinds of pocket knives, flashlights and other items selected for EDCs tend to be expensive. EDC items may also be items designed for so-called ‘tactical’ use, meaning that they were designed for military, police or similar organizations. The justification for the expense and the ‘tactical’ bias of many EDC kits is that these are items that might be carried for long periods of time before they are finally required, at which point they may be called upon to perform in extreme situations. The thinking is that these are circumstances under which EDCers might regret opting for inferior or budget items. The converse argument can also be made, arriving at the same conclusion, in that items in routine and heavy use will also need to be of superior construction if they are to survive the regular demands placed upon them.

:slight_smile: :cowboy_hat_face:

I couldn’t imagine that there were so many to be told for “EDC” definition, thank you edc 8)

Fixed

Match 15 minute mod

I used a ~$5 niteeye 2 pin drop-in on a AAA that is OK for inside the house at night, but the mod above is much more worthwhile . . pretty nice with a SolarForce low voltage XPG R5 pill and Eneloops.

There is also “ENC” for Every Night Carry for those who prefer to carry a larger or more powerful light at night different from their EDC light.

Like any true flashaholic, I have flashlights tucked away everywhere, rotatE 3 different AAA EDCs and have AA lights in every drawer and bedside table. Except when she smells a skunk in the back yard when letting the dog out (in which case she uses my HD2010), my wife's favorite go to light is the Mini Mag Pro+. It's bright, light, smooth and fits her hand. I've also upgraded all my old Mag incans.

As thoroughly expanded on by EDC above... Cool

Example EDC for me varies; My workday EDC varies from my non-workday carry...

Workday:

1. Work Keys, worn on retractible chain on belt
  2. Pocketknife (budget Boker subcom)
  3. Leatherman Micra
  4. Work Flash Drives, 4GB for apps, 2GB for driver storage, and an old 128MB bootable, for running diagnostics and updating BIOS (Multiple drives carried only because my employer won't pay for a better $20/32GB drive for my use...Yell)
  5. Work badge/ID/entry card, but only for accessing secured locations...
  6. Wallet (of course)
  7. Kreisler-approved Tank007 E09 AAA flashlight
  8. Multi-tool Swiss+Tech Utili-Key (carried on keychain for work keys...)
  9. Wrist-watch (Casio Solar-powered)

Off the job:

1. Tank007 E09 (again!)
  2. Handgun (This is Texas Y'all!Cool)
  3. Wallet...

For me EDC translates to S-Mini in R pocket, SE-1 in left, MIX6 around neck, & now cooler weather is here a Panther Vision (love this hat) with 3 led’s in the brim on my head. Survival knife, cell phone & fire. Oh yea, I am a minimalist heHe.

keith

I personally find the term and its over-use a little silly sometimes.

My edc is what I find in the hole in my pocket. :beer:
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

It means that you're from Australia, you like horror movies, and you're totally awesome. What else could it mean? :p

+ 1

Crap. Now you got me looking for an EDC once I found out what it was
The problem is I want this one:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/9345
E1320 Modified UF-2100

Hoping for another group buy but I assume that is far fetched :cry:

Those uf2100s are badass! 18650s are a bit on the big side for me personally. Trustfire mini01 is my current fave at the moment.

You only carry one flashlight? I have 2 on my keychain alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

While there probably won't be another group buy you could just PM E1320 and he would probably be willing to make you one.

As E1320 said in his other thread, buy one and have it sent direct to him after working out a price + shipping to get to you. As long as shipping isn’t too bad it is great deal for a great light (I still need to order a new switch for my version as per the thread).

If you’re normally in a well-lighted urban environment, the AA/14500 light I think he was going to do next should be a good alternative . . at least I hope it’s still coming.

If you are moving up from old Incan Maglites, pretty much any LED will impress you as far as output and runtime. Flashlights have come a LONG way since when Maglights were the best you could get.

I have several AAA lights that will dwarf most Maglights. It’s amazing that a single AAA light that is smaller than your pinky is now more powerful than an old Maglight or even a Surefire from the early days.