What got you started on this whole Flashlight thing?

I used to collect flashlights when I was about 7-9 years old. I had a boatload of them, but they were all little el-cheapo 80’s to 90’s tech lights. My interested petered out.

Back in December of last year, I decided I wanted to get more serious about having a bug out bag with some useful gear including a quality light. I had a Surefire G2 with a DX Cree XR-E 750mA P60, which when I got it, was the business in my opinion. I wanted to get something a little more high end that ran off rechargeables as well as some lights to have around the house.

8 months later, I currently have 26 flashlights, 2 headlamps, 7 P60 hosts, 9 P60 drop ins, 5 chargers (2 hobby), and 106 rechargeable batteries (Lithium ion and NiMH). On top of that, I have sold off 10 lights and 12 batteries.

I may need rehab…

Yup, musket3. I reckon that’s how it usually happens. Surfing the internet is responsible for me owning more than the 2 basic lights I need. All those super-duper reviews right here on BLF has a habit of whetting one’s appetite for the finer things in life 0:)

in 2000, and all the scientists had incandescent lights….when they would drop them, the bulbs would break, so I started buying LED lights, all that I could get my hands on: back then, all of them were 5mm LEDs in clusters or singly….not very bright…but I bought the best and brightest I could find and sent all the scientists on the dig site led flashlights….I continued buying them, each model as it was introduced, early Luxeons, then Crees….I bought a lot of the early Streamlight Propoly 7-LED lights and gave a lot of them away.Then I got a strange phone call, from the CFO at Streamlight…he asked me what I was doing with all of these LED flashlights….giving them away, I said. He responded that I was buying more lights than their average dealer, and suggested “why don’t we set you up as a distributor?. I gladly accepted, then the same happened with several other manufacturers. Then I struck up relationships with several of the Chinese manufacturers, with the same arrangement.But in each case, I wasn’t allowed to sell them, or compete with the retail dealers, just to buy for my own use, and giving away. That was fine, because in the business I work in (Financial services/Wealth Management), I’m not allowed to receive compensation from any other (outside) business activities. So today, I have over 200 LED flashlights, mostly higher-end high technology models (and have given away over 125), and continue to collect them for the joy of it.of course, needless to say, all of my friends, my girlfriend, and the entire pastoral staff of my church are extremely well supplied with LED flashlights. That’s my story.

Slickdeals had a “deal” on a sipik SK68 clone.

Someone on there mentioned BLF. I started reading about 18650s, all of HJKs reviews. Then went on to other flashlight reviews.

Before the SK68 even arrived i saw SBflashlights having a Crelant sale. I bought the 7G5CS and threw the Sk68 clone away (it was trash).

46 Weeks later I am probably 60+ lights deep and over 100 batteries.

I know a bunch of people here by first name.

And i don’t think I’ll ever leave.

Dad told me that one time I gave back his new (circa 1978) Maglite rechargeable cop light w the simple teenagers statement, ‘it sucks’. Should have seen the look I got, it was his best toy in a long time at that time… oops!

For our next camping trip in the dark Sierra mtns of CA, I built a battery box, swiped several of his Cibie, Marchal driving lights and either a small 12V tractor or motorcyle battery, wired a switch and jewel light indicator from RS and very quickly realized what sort of animal was making all that racket at zero dark hours of the night … wild horses!

Couldn’t see them w the 6v lantern or the Mag light. So always had big lights on my car/truck from then on and always had a shelf full of crappy lights that failed to meet expectations…realistic or not.

Plus spent big dollars on crappy incandescent upgrades up until about 8 years or so when the same $ for a short life (ask me!) bulb ugrade actually bought a whole LED light. Spent plenty on crappy LED upgrades too! Those early lights were pretty cool by the standards of the time but couldn’t match the later CR123 lamps that I got heavy into for sheer output. Now, I have good stuff. But still looking.

Wife says, keep looking…

When I realized flashlights were not only more powerful
but also much cheaper than bike specific lights available:

You’ve asked a question, here’s my answer:

My very first torch was one of those box lights made from stamped tin which would take two D-cells, and had integrated colour filters which could be slid up and down. It died a slow and agonizing death at the hands of a four-years old; I found the rusted remains in the sandbox when I was a few years older.

Then of course, M@gLites were quite the fashion in the 80’s. I could beg as much as I wanted, yet my parents wouldn’t buy me one. Instead, my father bought me a genuine Fulton anglehead, the fabled MX-991. I loved that one dearly; but I left the alkaleaks in it for too long, and my mother persuaded me to throw the “corroded, broken rubbish” away.

After that, I tried my luck with a few cheaply made Chinese mini-maglite-ripoffs (back then “made in China” was a synonym for “Now why did I waste my allowance for that, again? I know its sloppy build quality will annoy me, first, and then it will die on me anyways!”)

Don’t know when I finally got my first proper M@glite, I believe it was a Mini sometime around the early 90’s. I’ve burnt up so many of those dear incan bulbs! Finally, I was playing with the thought of cutting it up and turning it into a handle for a M9-bajonet inspired knife. I never got around to that, as it got lost somewhere.

Enter the bigger ones! 3 C-cell Mag for Christmas, sometime in the mid-90’s. Of course, followed by a quite stern dressing-down by me parents after the first night, for shining it into other people’s windows. I really loved that one! It was stolen from my (unlocked) car around 2000 or so, don’ recall the exact date anymore, along with all my tools and spare tyre.

To compensate for the loss, I bought a 4D M@glite, and another one for my best friend. Those did cost £ 50, back then, whilst making £ 8.80 per hour, only, working for the local state construction office. Eventually, watching cop shows on the telly late at night made me aware of those fancy new tiny torches police investigators shone everywhere, with a bright beam. $urefire lights! Learning about the price of $urefire torches were a jaw-dropping experience, to me. In Krautland, they were pretty much non-existant by that time; and when I went to Manhattan, NY in 1999 with me brother, only one store did carry them - selling to LEOs, only. That’s put quite a spanner in the works!

Around that time, the first LED-lensers came out. “Photon-pumps”, they were being advertised as - quite silly. And so bloody dear! I was EDC’ing a sleek, black UK (which stands for Underwater Kinetics, not United Kingdom) penlight by that time which I have had since 1998 (a good friend lost it, a few years later). However, I was being busy with Uni, but slowly, my collection started to grow. Another Mini-M@glite, and another 3D, and yet another 3D (they were becoming CHEAP all of a sudden!). And then the ubiquitous multi-emitter “shower head” torches became available, all of a sudden, at rather low cost. I gave one of those away to an American traveller, the other one ended up in the garage of the ’Nam vet who does help me with the ’67 Mercury (oh, that reminds me, I haven’t driven the darn thing for almost two years!)

By 2010 I got aware of some serious torch modding being posted on the internet, decided to buy the $urefire 6P I’ve always wanted, and learned about SolarForce L2 (which I ordered a couple of days after I got the 6P). An XR-E R2 dropin completed my very first Cree light!

From that year on, it had been an avalanche!

L2, L2P (at least three), L2R, T4, EZAA, more $urefires (mostly used, all private offers, cheap), LD20, LD10, SRK, Convoy S2, stainless Maratac, stainless DQG in both AA and AAA (lots more for family and friends), L2M, SK68 (lots!), SK98, 4sevens Quark X AA² and quark tactical QTA (too expensive, but - wow!), Solarforce M3 with picatinny mount and remote switch (no idea what for, I don’t even own an air rifle, I just had to have it)

I liked flashlight since I was 5-6 years old, playing outside shining into the sky or in bed under cover.
In 2008 I noticed a SS/silver Fenix E11 on REI. It is so beautiful. I did not buy it because it appeared quite expensive at that time. But I started to browse for LED lights since then and bought a Fenix LD20, which is my first quality light.

You know thats really not understood by me?( how I started the addiction that is)

My best guess is Youtube. Youtube led me to DX back in 2011, when I was seeing all these young people unboxing fun stuff on the cheaps. I just ordered a bunch of junk after browsing about a week. A drinky bird, some mini pig lights, Invisible ink pen with uv led, 3 x2000s and some Trustfire greys that were said to be not absolute crappaaa.

That x2000 was plenty bright for the time and I loved them, worked on cars with em all the time and got bored of the looks. Painted the bezel orange and though it was awesome! Showed it to a few people and loved their reactions. So with my first light came my first mod and first lithium cell…….Boy had I known, an 11dollar light would have changed my life to this magnitude.

I was brought to love of handheld lumens by my love of security, which at the time was lighting of automobiles to be specific. I have retrofitted FX-R projector headlights into my vehicle. Since the retrofit, I have seen every bit of wildlife I could have possibly needed to avoid! 55w of 5000k HID beauty is wonderful, I have yet to cross anyone with a more intense setup OEM or not.

A bunch of different incan Maglights; mini, micro, solitaire and one 4D that I got for my 25th birthday a few years back… Maybe not a few, but who’s counting… :slight_smile:

My first “real” led-light was also a X2000 3xaaa zoomie from DX, my first purchase from them after a coworker introduced me to the world of cheap china-shopping.

Soon to follow was a Spiderfire P7 with a pair of 18650 Trustfires from dx, and a WF139 charger that I ordered from AW.

My favourites these days are my SC52, H600 and my SWM D40A.
They kinda covers most things for me…

But I see a Fandyfire Warrior from FT in a near future as I find my SRK a bit on the thick side.

I bought a Maglite 6 D-cell light way back when,which I thought was the best and only light available,then I changed out their bulb for a more whiter one from Maglite,then I found a Terra-Lux led drop-in kit and that’s how it all started. My next “real” light was a Fenix TK41 XML-T-6 (800 lumens). Gonna have to stop at a Fenix TK75vn. HB

Always been interested in flashlights. Used to own a couple 2xAA, 2xAAA and 1xAAA minimag incan lights. Back in undergrad I built my own incandescent flashlight out of some sheet aluminum, gaffer’s tape, switches, wire and battery holder from radioshack, and bulb and reflector scavenged from some other light. It was very bright for its size. I also discovered lights brighter than the typical pocket maglights and purchased several of them… mostly Underwater Kinetics incan dive lights (4xAA and 4xC).

My very first LED flashlight was a Tekna Night Spy. It’s a plastic keychain light with a Titanium sleeve that runs on 2xLR44 cells powering a single 10mm red LED. I purchased it at Sharper Image in the late ’80s. This was the first LED flashlight I’d ever seen. Despite it’s rather dim red output, I was impressed and it lived on my keychain for years. I still have it actually, along with its original instruction manual. Back then white LED flashlgihts weren’t available.

I no longer have my first white LED flashlight. It was a 3xAA made of translucent green plastic. It had two or three 5mm white LEDs in the front. The light impressed anyone who saw the beam, because everyone was used to the warm whites from incan lights. Seeing the pure cool white from the LEDs made them feel very bright… even though the entire light probably had only 10 or 15 lumens or so of output. I don’t recall exactly when I purchased this light, but it was sometime in the 90s. It was the first white LED light I’d ever seen.

Higher quality white LED lights later came out. The next one I purchased was a very early Inova light, powered by 2xCR123 cells powering five 5mm white LEDs. The entire light was made of polished aluminum and used a twisty interface. It also ran forever on those CR123 cells. I still have the light actually… it still works and is still using the original pair of CR123 cells it came with.

Sometime after that 5mm LED lights started to pop up all over the place. Those tiny cheap 1x5mm LED plastic keychain lights appeared, but pretty much all these lights only used 5mm LEDs. I purchased several more Inovas… all of which were hopelessly dim by today’s standards. Some were somewhat comical… I have one that runs on 1xAA and has an aspheric lens of some kind on the front. Actually, I’m not sure it’s aspheric, since the front is flat, but the effect is the same. It projects a very dim spot off onto whatever surface it is aimed at with zero spill. It’s pretty useless because it’s so dim…. I think the light source is probably one 5mm white LED.

After the Inovas I discovered LED Lenser. My first Lenser was a 3xAAA light with a TIR reflector (very novel to me… I’d never seen a TIR before). Then I purchased a brighter rechargeable zoom LED Lenser, powered by 1x14500 with a twist zoom lens. That was my EDC carry for years.

My first modern power LED light was a Fenix LD01. For such a tiny light, this thing was impressive. Brighter than the much larger LED lenser and soooo tiny!

Then followed a boatload of various different types and sizes of name-brand and then budget LED lights. Then came modding…

I usually EDC one light. I don’t need it for work… I just like having one on me. Current rotation includes:

• XTAR WK42 - modded by me with 5000k neutral XML2 on Noctigon with 3.04 amp 105c with DrJones Lumodrv and radioshack momentary tact switch. Runs on 1xIMR 16340. Smaller and lighter than an SC52 and much brighter.
  • Sunwayman C20C - modded by me with 5000k MTG2 on Noctigon with 3.04 amp 105c with DrJones Lumodrv and Zener diode mod and radioshack tact switch. Also added an OP reflector. Runs on 2xIMR 18350. Pretty impressive for such a small light. Gives a huge wide flood with extremely bright spillbeam and a noticeable hotspot. The flood on this is huge. Point this at a wall or a ceiling and the entire area lights up … truly a wall of light. Main disadvantage is it can be awkward to use. I’d never stick this light in my pocket without the tailcap locked out, for fear that it could explode if it accidentally turns on in the pocket. Running 2 li-ion cells in series is kinda scary…. don’t want one to drain and get reverse charged by the other. (though I suppose I might notice before it exploded when my pocket catches fire since the light doesn’t have room for much heatsinking)
  • S6 SSSP triple XPG2 with 1 emitter of each tint - modded by RMM. I made a couple very small modifcations myself after receipt: I swapped the tailcap boot for a slightly smaller flat black one that allows perfect tailstanding, I also polished up a 10511 Carclo triple TIR and put that in. Finally I took a black sharpie and used it to cover up the line of unfinished aluminum visible where RMM had cut the bottom of the bezel off (this is recessed so it’s unlikely to get rubbed off). I’m very impressed with this light… small size and great tint. It’s not quite as bright as my C20C, but it throws further and is safer to use.
  • Sipik 58 - modded by me. Swapped emitter for XML2 neutral on Noctigon. I’ve also tried XPG2 neutral on Noctigon, which gives better throw but worse flood. Added a reflector to greatly improve brightness of flood. Filed down the external body and internal pill to allow head to retract further for wider flood. Added spacers inside pill to adjust focus. Replaced driver with 4 amp 105c with DrJones Lumodrv. I had to file the edges of the driver so it would fit at the bottom of the pill. Filed a trench down the inside of the battery compartment for switch wire. Replaced tailcap contents with new switch mechanism that included Radioshack tact switch and connection to the new battery compartment wire. It’s a llittle touchy to get the batteries in and out but it works… basically a Sipik 58 with an electronic switch and DrJones driver. To hide the damage to the anodizing from filing down the top of the knurling on the body, I also used Greased Lightning to remove all the anodizing and polished it up. I still occasionally play around with this light. For instance, I just ordered a replacement coated glass aspheric lens to replace the stock plastic one … even though this new lens cost 3x the cost of the original light!
  • Spark SF3 neutral white - unmodded. Just a great all-around pocket EDC. Great interface, great feel in the hand, great tint.

As far as i can remember, when i was 7 or 8 years old my uncle gave me a solitaire and that started the addiction. My first encounter with a LED light was back in 2009 when my same uncle bought me Cree 3AAA light with an XR-E EZ1000.

I remember when I got my first Solitaire. Loved the form factor and feel in the hand … but even back then the 2 lumen output sucked. the “flood mode” was pretty useless. It only became a useful light in spot mode and even then only for short distances. I found the 2xAAA micromag to be much more useful.

When I got my dog, I needed something better than a plastic 2D for walking him at night. I saw an Interweb ad for a zoomie and eventually bought the x2000 from DX…18650 version.

Of course I didn’t realize how it effected me for 40 years. Still have it sitting in the basement, one of these day I need to do something with it.

To get to the bottom of this you need a couple of lights.

According to my altimeter the water level was at a depth of 190 meters below. It’s not a straight vertical drop and we needed about 260 meters of rope to get there… Not a place to get stuck in the dark :slight_smile:

This FL made me a flashaholic since 2008…