What is it about Convoy flashlights that makes them so popular?

Not to mention that Simon is very pro-active and quite fast in answering to our PM and queries.
It’s much easier dealing direct with the owner than having to go through many correspondents with customer supports if you’re dealing with bigger flashlight manufacturers.
Thumbs up to Simon and Convoy

I just wanted to toss up a bit of caution. I purchased 3 S2+ Convoy lights (from simon’s shop) and overall, the quality is nearly perfect. Except 1. I ordered a Grey, Blue, and Red S2+ and my red S2+ had a tailcap where the edge wasn’t “finished”. It looks like during the manufacturing process, they forgot to grind/sand down the edge of the tailcap so when I went to untwist the tailcap for the first time, I nearly cut myself on the sharp edge. So just remember, as good of a quality as these budget lights are, it is still a crapshoot with regards to the fit and finish of the final product you actually receive. I mentioned it to Simon and he basically just said “ok thanks for the info”. Aside from the unfinished edge, the lights worked as advertised.

And for the record, yes, I would buy another convoy. I received my BLF A6 roughly the same time as the convoys came in. As similar as they are in shape/size, I have to say the better fit and finish goes to the convoy. It just feels better and the battery doesn’t rattle.

Never had any Convoy but sure I will get one.

can Simon make an A6 light ? can he have the A6 driver made ?

yup,I read it just now.However ,any other bland can recommended to me,about the flashlight.

I read something like that on another thread here. I think we might be misguiding him to tell him that was the way to get more output. Someone reported that the driver didn’t work with the wrong 7135 chip. Another member put a Nichia 219 C LED in one and it turned blue with heat. With direct drive, the current is too sensitive to the properties of the LED, the battery, its state of charge and other components. I have a 219C with a Qlite 12 x 7135 that is very close to the output of the A6 when the cells are fully charged, and I think it maintains it better as the cell runs down. Direct drive may be the way to the most lumens, but I don’t think it is the way to the most sales.
TK’s UI is also for enthusiasts. Most flashlight owners would never figure it out. Maybe if the thing came on as a one mode and the instruction manual explained how to make it act more complicated.

Simon obviously makes a Fine Product. Little Known Fact: He is Also the Lead singer for Duran Duran.

convoy lights became all the rage because fasttech carried about 10 models and offered about 12 different variations on each light , different tints and different drivers so you could run them mildly or harder . they are a great light to reccommend to newbs and an easy on your pocket book because of it’s bang for your buck .

i like s6’s and s2’s

Unless Simon LeBon changed his surname to Mao :smiley:

Ya think?

I know that I would be a customer for that!!!

Thanks,
-Chuck

I like the overall quality and usefulness. they are the best budget brand atm.

Because they are sold as bare hosts and set up well for modding.

What is the link to his “real” shop, so that one can be sure to get genuine convoy, no fake ?
Thanks !

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/330416

Thanks, I found it but was not sure it was the right one !

+1

Well, the trees don't grow into the sky. My first two Convoys, blue S2+ hosts, had quality problems.

One had a lose print with the switch. The retainment ring simply could not be skrewed down enough.

The other I struggled getting the pill out of the head.

In both occations it was the brass threading that was not cut deep enough at the end so I had to file the thread a round or two on the ring and pill with a triangular file. That cured the problem.

That said, I have since bought 7 more S2+ hosts and had no problems with them so thums up from me.

hard to actually say what a “real” convoy is since its a amalgamation of many lights …but there generally aren’t any FAKES” apart from some of the reds that popped upabout a year ago .IMO gearbet took care of an issue and got them off of their site pretty quickly . Who makes most of the convoy lights ? eagle eyes and a few other manufacturers ?
Simon claims to be the manufacture but it’s clear he’s either lying or something is getting lost in translation :slight_smile: He is the owner of a name… and is having people make lights for him . (Which would kind of explain where the bad red s2+‘s came from )—— Some one probably made a run of them for simon and he rejected them —then the manufacturer sold them instead of eating or destroying them ….or simon himself sold them to gearbest hoping no one would notice or care …. gearbest is probably clueless and just sees a better price on an item they know sells well so they buy a couple hundred …. i’m also assuming when Gearbest took major flack over the “fakes ’ they sold them off to another company who will dump them on ebay or sell them on a garbage site ….lots and lots of speculation on my part :stuck_out_tongue:

Clearly the s5 ,s6 and the s series that are roche clones aren’t convoy designs just hosts snatched up and a model number attached to it … the s6 was a d4? a x-power ,a xiaozhi …anybody selling it can call it whatever they want obviously ,Buy a boaZlight …ask for it by name
B oaz
L ikes
F lashlights

Yeah,

I can agree with most all of what you said, but that is really just the nature of manufacturing.

Does that make it bad? - I don’t think so.

Does Thrunite make their own lights? - I really doubt it. Some are probably made by company A, and some by B, or C.

Their BIG lights look oh so much like an Acebeam to me. - Gotta love the choices that we have!

JMHO,
-Chuck

I got one of those also – red S2+, one of two bought several months ago – the sharpness is quite noticeable and the red color is flaking off at the sharp edge. (The other red one and a couple of blue ones were smooth as normal, no perceptible sharp edge). I’d hoped it was just me, but now that you mention it …

Too trivial to bother about as this is a daily ding-up carry light, so I'm just going to round it off with fine sandpaper at some point and accept that it'll be shiny once I smooth it.

EDIT 2/14; I asked Simon about it weeks ago; he had heard that some slipped through with that smoothing step skipped, part of the "growing pains" that he's been plagued with.

Anyone know how to replace/touch up the red color? I understand it's not anodizing and didn't expect it to last like anodizing would.

This is "budget" -- perfection is an aspiration, not a promise.