What is really the High CRI feature?

I can't comment on the science and manufacturing techniques behind HCRI, but I can say that the tints they usually come in just don't do it for me.

For example, the 30000k XP-G HCRI emitter in the FourSevens HCRI lights is extremely red/rosy, and completely exaggerates those colors as a result.

For me, I've found that neutrals somewhere around 4500k (and maybe a tiny bit lower) is my sweet spot.

See it for yourself: http://thebrightsideforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1317

Terralux LightStar80

might be the one of the cheapest ways to get a High CRI light, with decent output

I wonder what the color temperature is. And it's probably using an XP-E...?

Good question and I am still on the fence about trying one out. There are some very mixed experiences out there (and here ) ... if you get a nice one it seems to do the job. If there would be a German seller where I could send it back in case I receive a lemon, then I would have already ordered one.

I find the cool white high CRI option on Nichias especially interesting, that is certainly a feature one doesn't get from CREE. The whole reason I buy neutral/warm tints is to get slightly better CRI... but if I could 95-98 get CRI 7000K XP-G/XM-L ... I wouldn't own a single neutral/warm white light.

You would know the difference. An incan is 100 CRI. If you walked through the woods with an incan driven well so that it was closer to white than to yellow and then did the same walk with a white LED you could tell the difference for sure.
There also is no real distinction between using a flashlight for some period of time and being exposed to indoor lighting for hours on end.
You may not notice that there is anything “wrong” with your lower CRI lights unless you compared them to a high CRI at the same time as our eyes adapt/adjust pretty well.
However, I haven’t been interested in any of the higher CRI lights that are only available in the lower color temps as I prefer a neutral or white light.

Any sources for those High CRI Nichia LEDs?

Is that thing really high CRI? 70 RA doesn't seem so high to me.... also the experiences aren't too promising as far as efficiency is concerned. (scroll to the end)

The warm white has 80 RA .