What is the purpose of a tanto blade?

oh, man! :open_mouth:

Cx, I’m guessing the little black rectangles are there to stop the edge of one blade from touching the top of the one below it when the case is carried about. Assuming I’m correct, are they a commercial product, or just something you whipped up DIY?

BTW, great idea using the long gun case to store/transport a bunch of fixed blades. Very industrious indeed.

Thank God for the internets, or I would of never known I was a mall ninja. Do I need to wear a costume?

Does this look like a shelf queen? :wink:

Seriously though, I have been attempting to replace my Blur with one of the budget knives. The first morning that I left my old faithful at home, I needed to scrape some gasket material from a pump housing. The straight front edge on a tanto blade works real good for scraping stuff off of a flat hard surface. I reached for my tanto blade and realized all I had was a plain edged Ganzo. I ended up going to my truck and getting a scraper.

Having said that, I can take the tanto edge or leave it, but I can honestly say I have never been in a situation where it hindered my ability to get work done or regretted having it.

If you like the way it looks, buy it.

I have also been trying out some not so budget knives. So far these are the only ones that make me giggle.

Those are Zerust tabs, available at many sporting goods stores, as well as Sears.

http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/fishing/default.asp?p=Details&i=6643ZR

Thanks, ChicagoX. Another question, if you have the time. Why so many? The vapor form one or two won’t handle the the volume of the case?

It will, but the placement prevents impingement/contact as you pointed out previously.

I used to be more of a tanto fan. They are very durable, but not nearly as efficient for general cutting.

I do really like the reverse tanto shape used on some of the BM Osbourne 940’s. I would almost trade my clip point for one….I sure can’t afford 2.

That’s a great idea, I’m going to have to pick some up.

Good point.

The design of the blade makes the tip extremely strong for penetrating hard surfaces, tip is also harder to break. The blade is also thicker than most other styles.