What is unacceptable to you for a flashlight

I agree with lots of what people have said here .

The tern unacceptable is where I'm having trouble .

Lots of things I think are a bad idea but a long press to turn a Skillhunt H2 off isn't going to make me not love a great light .

There is this delicate dance of deciding whether a light is even worth the time, effort or the parts to fix it. Indeed, there is a long list of things that will make you pick up one light over another and clearly manufactures need to know what users dislike. Sadly, I think they know, don't care or are so obtuse that telling them isn't even going to matter.

Low CRI

Non-optional proprietary batteries or charging system

Nonremovable batteries including ones that are theoretically standard and replaceable but need resoldering

Any onboard charging system that is not USB-C (microUSB, etc.) unless it can also be ignored and an external charger used instead.

Zoom head (maybe ok if it was an extremely well designed high quality light)

Strobe in a main mode rotation (momentary is fine as long as it’s not easy to accidentally activate)

Overly-simple UI, or UI with bad mode selection.

Overly-warm tints (say, below 4000k (yes, I’m weird, I prefer medium to cool…))

I admit, I’m extra picky. :stuck_out_tongue:

too big for pocket

old timey 3 click or 5 click ui

blinkys in main sequence

2 switches

excessive flickering

For me: #1 - Unreliability

Micro usb or noncompliant usb-c. Extra hate-points if you advertives it as “usb charging” and never specify.

So which flashlight do you like? LOL

Unless it is included in ramping, moonlight should be hidden with blinkies & strobes.

For me since I dislike clips, it’s have them fitted rather than loose in the box. Pretty sure anyone with half a brain cell can put a clip on, sadly it’s quite difficult to remove them without causing damage to the finish and they are usually already scratched from the maker putting it on in the first place.
I also don’t appreciate engraving all over them with useless info and often bs - especially on copper lights.
This monstrosity from Manker is a good example, it’s not even aligned properly. Then there’s all the guff on the other side which has no need to be there, and more than likely isn’t true anyway.
A masterclass on how to deface a nice light, and the sole reason I didn’t buy one.

When Turbo is memorized.

Double click for On is a killer.

Hold for off=puke city

And like the op said, proprietary batteries that are marked up big time…

I also hate it when a manufacture refuses to mention what LeD is used and or what color temp the LeD is.

Lights with obviously nonsense performance specs and unknown LEDs

I also find it annoying how it seems SOME people seem to believe a higher color temp is better (bigger number better mentality?).

Yeah, when you’re operating from home, there’s really no big deal using a dedicated charger. I have a Fenix ARE-D2 that’s terrific (small 2-bay, versatile, quick or slow as needed). I find built-in charging best when “in the field,” or traveling. My Sofirn SP33v3, Skilhunt HC03 RC, NiWalker ET Mini V2, Sofirn SC1, and Sofirn LT1 all do a good job of not overcharging. Even the little charger attachment for the GT Nano does a good job. All of these built-in chargers are slow relative to my ARE-D2, and I like that (easier on the cells).

Hence, “I feel like a wanker—I bought a Manker!” :person_facepalming: :frowning: :laughing:

:smiley: indeed, you’d think the Chinese would do a bit of market research before coming up with their brand names…. there are some hilarious ones out there for sure!

At least Manker follows a conventional phoneme pattern. Have you seen some of the ones coming up on Amazon search results? It’s like… WTH?

Bluefeel, Eufy, Polwools, Aukun, Sakold, Bittor, Brigii, Senwook, Bagotte, Naturart, Whall, Tipcoo, Pegovo, Rubot, Chuboor (chew boar?), Oraimo, Wapasoo, Temola, Efshree, Elfdie, Bigwort, Tramplemeh, Catsmeow, dugpoo, Fistpalm, Tachez, Winkipoh…

I don’t know… but how hard is it to simply consult an English speaking person who knows just a little marketing? Anyone with even half-sense would give a thumbs down on these names.

Expensive proprietory battery, non-removeable battery pack, and titanium body.

- A UI that forces me to go through Hi, Med, Low just to turn the thing off.

- Proprietary / non-removable batteries

- A switch that is so flush with the body and can’t be felt in the dark.

- Turbo stepdown is OK if not too short. But high should be held for as long as the batts can sustain it.

- lights >$50 that you cant get parts for from a non responding vendor! ie: good customer service record is a must.

Depending on use case, but after a couple of failures, a USB port is just another failure point for water to get in.

Yeah, that’s one I’d forgotten to mention — brightness progression starting from HIGH then stepping down to LOW. It’s not only far more common to need lower modes first, starting in the highest mode can cause eye trauma of one isn’t careful.

Fake or lack of specifications.