What is unacceptable to you for a flashlight

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think “unacceptable for flashlights” is olight. Early on I bought plenty of them. No more. Other brands, Press and hold for off is a no-go for me. I’ve tried it. I don’t like it. Some brands are committed to that UI because they want to click once to change modes. Cold white. Nope.

I’m not very nicety with flashlight but I hate next mode memory and when strobe is part of cycle like it is on Zanflare F2, which is very good light but that strobe is very annoying!

- Visible PWM

- Sub lumen / firefly mode

- FET DD drivers

• Terrible UI

Hold for next mode is worse.

Agree with the OP on proprietary batteries. General reliability for sure. Pretty much everything else is somewhat relative. For example, it is unacceptable for me to have an EDC light that does not have moonlight. For a thrower it really doesn’t make much difference. Same with tint for that matter.

Of course the other perspective is what is unacceptable for the operator;-) Have an old SIPIK clone that goes to the next mode every time the switch is pressed. Certainly unacceptable to me! Wife prefers it to A2. As with remotes or pretty much anything where a button can be pressed she will just keep pressing until she gets the desired result :wink:

Huh?
Got a link to this law?

The advantage is that Previous Mode could be implemented as Click, Click+Hold (Crescendo, Anduril). I wonder why there are no other UIs allowing this, and Anduril doing it wrong.

What’s wrong with firefly modes? Most lights even don’t have them.

If only one thing could be changed for 2023 it would be good UIs.
Custom UI abiliy would be even better.

The only light i have with the perfect UI is one that was custom made for me.

A2 is pretty close to perfect for me — at least once I configure it the way that I want. The only knock I could have is likely a knock on myself as I think the majority of glitches I have encountered with it come down to user error.

The UI on the E02 II and the E03H II are also pretty much perfect for me for that kind of light. Only possible knock would be that it would be good to have a voltage indicator but for that size light it is just easier to simply swap the battery when you are going to be using it and don’t remember how long since your have done so.

What is the A2 you referring to, do you have a link?

What’s the downside to dual switches? I don’t have any, but my first impression is that it makes good sense. What am I missing?

Sorry I was being lazy. Anduril 2.

http://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/

Who is this ToyKeeper i keep hearing about, seems like she is the boss of flashlight software design :sunglasses:

That’s true, but could be done with double clicks too.
Reverse clicky side switches could solve all these problems though.

They’re useless.
Can’t see a thing or notice the light is even on in most circumstances, i’s worse if it occupies a mode in the cycle.
Moon mode (the minimal but still usable amount of light) can be good, though.

That depends, I use firefly modes a lot.

Eg. for navigating to the bathroom in the night to take a piss. A 1 lumen mode would harshly wake me up. Or for wandering in abandoned buildings but I don’t want to be seen by the security.

0.01lm is perfectly usable in a medium sized room when your eyes are adapted to darkness.

But agreed, they shouldn’t be in the main mode cycle.

However direct access from off is a must.

Strobe in the cycle
UI’s that hard hard to remember (Armytek!)
Hold for off
Not being able to Turn off from Turbo