what kind of lights do you guys use in the garage?

I think mine are Phillips (but possibly Sylvania) - I bought a box of 10 or 12 4 footers and then a couple more 3 footers to match. It’s been 3 to 5 years and none have burnt out since.

ok i will be using the same ones then thanks

Wow, nice experience

so i just found out these lights that i wanted Amazon.com
requires to be hard wired.
im no handy man and no matter how easy it may be, just dont want to attempt it.

so now im looking for some plug in style garage lighting.
i found these three
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-Earth-33-5-Plug-In-Fluorescent-One-Light-Light-Fixture-/151024848338?pt=US_Wall_Fixtures&hash=item2329c84dd2

http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/indoor-lights/fluorescent/48-performance-utility-light/p-1385009-c-6354.htm

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202052422?langId=–1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&N=5yc1v&R=202052422#.Ue4oX20VoVw

any thoughts? or recomendations on plug and play fixtures?

The fixtures are mostly cosmetic. The bulbs that you put in them are going to make the difference in light output.

I think it defeats the purpose of a nice looking light to not hard wire it, but if you really like the first lights that you linked, you can just put wire and a plug on them and plug them in instead of hard wiring. The connections inside are SUPER simple. There are three wires. Black = hot, white = neutral and green = ground. The wire that you run into the light will have the same three colors. Just color match them and put wire nuts on them. It will take you less than a minute to wire each one up. Do all of this BEFORE you plug them in! :smiley:

My first post after lurking for years. I have a 20x20 shop that uses 12 volt leds backed by solar power. Total cost was around $50. Love to show it off to friends and neighbors. Consist of 8 380 lumen leds, one deep cycle marine 12v battery, and 2 watt solar panel.

That brings me to the next question, who of you actually works on his car/bike in his garage? And what do you prefer as far as color temperature goes? Ww or cw.

I don't have a garage, an it has been over 5 years I touched a motorbike or car to work on.

By somehow I tend to think CW is probably easier on your eyes? Thinking that all cars usually have dark parts around the engine and underneath so a WW would make it more difficult to spot things.

Or not?

Welcome to the forum , Mayo .

I would like to know more about your system .

A pic or two would be nice .

CW. WW + highly detailed work = eye strain.

welcome to the forum, and nice to see you join and have your first post on my thread, heheh got you sucked in now.

only reason why i want the plug in play style is because i have a outlet on the ceiling and that is exactly the same place where i wanted my fixture so it would be simple.

any plug in style light fixtures out there with the covers? i couldnt find any.

Can’t help with the last question. As mentioned above, adding a plug is easy and worth learning. Somebody at a hardware store will show you how and help pull the stuff you need. Depending on how long the included wire is, you might be able to just connect a plug or you might want to replace the wire with a pre-wired plug. Sometimes the plug versions need to be wired-up/connected anyway.

I used the ones from home depot and I even used the ugly chains even though they are hanging from a closed-in ceiling. Or they might have been from Lowes. Mine have a pull chain in addition to the plug, which I wanted. I use the pull on one side while the other is plugged into a switched outlet that was installed over my workbench so that I could have extra under cabinet lights there. The pull chain allows me to conserve unless I’m doing a project were I really want the extra light output from the 2nd overhead fixture.

Just got my First ever Lux-Meter and moved here 3 weeks ago 8)

Result from Garage floor (before there were 2 X 60W frosted incans…… not any more…………………)

Hmm…
cant see the pic myself anymore but 1268lx at floor level 8)

Your post reminded of something that has bothered me for awhile. We have Chamberlain door openers in our garage, and nothing, I repeat nothing, except incan bulbs work in it. We’ve tried the CFLs (different ones), LEDs including the new Cree ones, but nothing works, and, like you said, they kill the incans.

Does anyone have any idea why neither the CFLs nor the LEDs work with these openers? They’re older I guess (house was built in 1996), but I’ve understood why those other types of bulbs wouldn’t work.

I like the old incandescent light bulbs to tell you the truth. I have a cfl over the work bench to find tools but the 2 others are just regular old school 60 watt bulbs. Hid and cool white cfl are just too bright to work under imo. Have an aversion to cfl because I used to sit under them in a windowless building as a printer for years. They may be good for other things but I like the old bulbs. I still run the mexican bulbs in every room of the house.

I don’t plan on changing anything either. I’ve built really cool things under old bulbs, they work fine. Grew up working under them with my dad too. CFL and changing ballasts. The buzz under a lot of them- screw that :slight_smile: When these led get mainstream and not so expensive I’ll switch.

the ones I have hidden in there from my wife because she thinks I have too many.

I had a few problems finding bulbs that would fit the rather deep sockets on the opener. Many of the bulbs did not have a long enough neck and would not screw down enough to make contact. The body of the bulb hit the top of the socket before the bottom contact made contact.

I have seen this many times.
This reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I was visiting my niece and her husband at their new house. When I first arrived, I found my brother and my nieces husband up on a ladder looking at a spotlight under the eaves. They were trying to figure out why the new CFL they just bought wouldn’t work. I knew exactly what was going on, so I calmly walked over to my van and produced one that worked! Both were VERY surprised, firstly that I knew of the problem and it’s solution, but mostly that I just happened to be driving around with a bulb that would work. :slight_smile:

Aww why doesn't anyone here post pictures So many interesting lighting but no pictures of them!

I have an LED highbay light in my garage. 25K lumens, dimmable and mind blowing from 50%-max power. Most of the lot I acquired went inside aircraft hangers to replace HID lighting.

Discussion thread

Old thread, recently resurrected from the grave:

So my garage/storage/workshop just has two single-bulb fixtures in the ceiling, with a third in the laundry room corner/nook.

At the moment, I have the two main light fixtures setup with splitters like these:

...each with 2x 100W equivilent CFL bulbs. The third, in the laundry corner has a PIR motion sensor, and one of the new 20W LED corn bulbs I ordered recently from DX.

I have an incoming shipment from GearBest with some 18W CW LED corn bulbs (http://www.gearbest.com/led-light-bulbs/pp_128799.html)

I'm hoping to use these in the garage instead of the CFLS, where they tend to see a lot of short on-cycle useage.