What knife did you get today?

Got this Asher Flashback since I liked the Nomad so much . This also is a nice knife .

Black double serrated Microtech Arbiter (:

Is this your first ZT knife? I was carrying my 5 year old Zero Tolerance 0350TS today in fact. Razor sharp and a great knife

From what will34 described, it’s a ZT knock-off, AliExpress Chinese Replica Edition. :wink:

Sounds great — thanks for all the details! Will have to earmark this for a later purchase, maybe if/when it goes on a bit more of a discount in the holiday months.

Just got this pretty little thing . Western Lockback c.1981 Brand new in box . Cummins logo

Esee 6 in Venom Green and with orange scales.

My collection is finally complete.

Chris

You ARE THE MAN

I just plunked down a couple hamiltons for the cjrb crag. the cleaver style has been catching my eye lately

I’ve carried a SwissChamp on my belt for 7+ years and honestly, it’s far more versatile, for me, than any of the above, unless I find myself suddenly ‘camping’ after 60 years, lol.

I’m a city slicker and the SAK has saved my bacon quite a bit.

Chris

My Victorinox Alox money clip with pen-knife, nail file, and scissors has been with me since the 1990’s (well, with one replacement) and is so amazingly versatile. I hardly ever need to hone the blade. The nail file metal is so tough, I’ve used it to pry off metal lids, and even act as a surrogate screw driver. And the scissors work in a pinch to cut most paper or even a partially torn fingernail. It’s so slim. The clip is so solid, I can safely clip this thing inside a pants pocket and never worry about it falling off. And as a money clip, it’s seriously useful. Best EDC item I own.

no knives, but i got new stones.
sharpening stones, that is.

Which ones did you get? I’m also curious about what technique you use. I don’t use stones at all—just a honing rod, which has worked so well at aligning the edge. I’ve not taxed my knives to the point of needing to shear off material to get a sharp edge back, but eventually I want to learn how to put stones to use properly (I’ve seen examples of some people who did horrible things to their knives… like running them through one of those “V” stone “sharpeners.” More like “edge scrapers.”)

That’s insane!! imagine taking all of them for bushcrafting

The 5 is really a thick blade and heavy and while it has a glass breaking pommel and a bow divot, it’s more problematic.

The 4 & 3 are the way to go and since I’m not a camper, my SwissChamp is my EDC going on 7+ years.

Chris

xevious…3 things:

1.“…and was able to sharpen/hone one so it can actually cut things.”
you did better than me. stones/Dremel/no go.

2. “Which ones did you get?”
well i bought 2 from Amazon,
and i will return one.
here is one:

3. “I’m also curious about what technique you use.”
this one: The Biggest Beginner Knife Sharpening Mistake - YouTube
ok…it is a —mistake— video, so…avoid those and any will work.
essentially, years of “muscle memory” and free time is my style.

I’ve seen a few people use honing rods differently. I’ve also seen some people exclaim that honing rods are bad, don’t use, etc. I’ve used a magnifier to check the edge and honing with the right rod can really work. There are some diamond dust honing rods that WILL shave off material as well—those you don’t really want to make use of regularly.

Do you have a link to the sharpening stones you decided to keep?

Thanks for the YT link, looks good. I’m always open to seeing how others employ sharpening stones. Some people are so incredibly obsessive at doing it right. But then, some show shortcuts that really work well and are fine with knives that don’t cost a fortune.

this is the one set i kept since i has an ANGEL guide (i already have an angle guide).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08736XMJN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

After 1 year of waiting and several tries I finally got my hands on one of the most elusive production knives, the protech malibu, thanks to the folks at REC.

It is every single bit as good as the reviews says and the knife is extremely crisp to handle and use. It makes a very satisfying sound when deploying, anodization is well done with the micro streak lines often found in ZL or SF HAIII lights and the pocket clip is one of the best I’ve seen.

However it came with some grittiness in the action, will have to disassemble and try to clean it out. The lock button also sticks a bit when closing but I think that’s due to the nature of the plunge lock, takes about 4lb of pressure to release. On the plus side it could serve as accidental closing protection.

At $209 it offers incredible value, if you’re on the fence just go get one since there’s restock is happening right now across several retailers.

Thanks. Looks like a very nice set. Lowest price so far has been $27 shipped (It’s $33 right now). I may have to pick one up!

ESEE Junglas :cowboy_hat_face: