What was your first light? What is your favorite?

My first “LED” light was a multi-5mm Camo / 3-AAA light i bought over 12 years ago i believe, but probably my favorite of my current massive collection is the last one i custom built from old brass piping parts.

My first was a SRK, favorite is my TK75vn KT

My first legit LED light (I repressed all those Multi-5mm from my memory) was a Solarforce L2i with an XP-e drop in. I think I paid like $40 for it at a gun show…
All I knew at the time was that it destroyed all my Incan Maglites. Great little light that got used a LOT (my most worn down light in my collection) It doesn’t get much use anymore unfortunately.

Favorite is tough… It changes frequently. Right now it’s probably my 26650 modded DST.

Like those before, forget the cheap led jobs, and I am gonna skip the Maglites too. So my first real “super powerful light” was the 2 Cr123 Tacstar light with the weapons mount & pressure switch. I couldn’t afford the hyper light I really wanted, a Surefire! lol
I think this was ONE of the First Surefire clones. And they did a nice job for the money!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/812477/tacstar-t6-tactical-flashlight-aluminum-black

“Product Information

Shop more TacStar products The new T-6 Tactical Light features 6061 aircraft grade aluminum construction and an ultra bright 15,000 candle power Xenon bulb powered by volt 3 volt lithium batteries (Included). Water resistant with o-ring seals and corrosion resistant black anodized finish. Features rubber coated switch with on or intermittent operation.

Technical Information

Battery Type and Number: 3 Volt Lithium Batteries (2)
Batteries Included: Yes

Length: 5-1/4”
Weight: 7.5 ounces

Finish/ColorBlack

Notes:
Features 6061 aircraft grade aluminum construction.
75 Lumen Xenon bulb.
Water resistant with o-ring seals and corrosion resistant black anodized finish.”

I didn’t know anything about LEDs.
I was reading Randy Wayne Wights “Doc Ford” books, a marine biologist with a black ops background. He liked to carry a Fenix LD20 light as a tactical device to momentarily blind an attacker.
I googled this LD20 device thinking it was made up, but there it was. I bought one and impressed all my friends.

My favorite light can change, but right now it’s my modded Boruit Z001. I changed the reflector from a seven to a six XML2 with a BLF17DD driver. Compact and incredibly bright, I’d put this light up against anything in its class.

1. Fenix LD22
2. Olight S15

my first light was FENIX LD 40 :slight_smile:
and my most used light is Convoy S8,i always use it when i’m on my night shift :heart_eyes:

My first real LED torch (not including the 9x5mm junk) was a Trustfire A8, still a great light that I use a lot. My favorite is a tough choice but at the moment would be my Supbeam K50 and Acebeam K40M (that could change as I am awaiting a X40 and X60!)

first light was the itp a3 eos, followed closely by the jetbeam bc25

favorite light right now is my K40mvn

First (halfway decent) light:
Terralux Lightstar220
Favorite light:
Hd2010 direct drive with dedomed xm-l2 (I have spent literally hours focusing that thing because I don’t have a luxmeter so it’s all just eyeball. I’m pretty happy with it now, though.)

A fellow aviation industry flash-a-holic. Welcome bro! I fly into MEM every so often, usually going to Signature. Which FBO do you work at?

My first light was a Maglite LED (not really a “niche” flashlight like the rest)

My favorite is my modded and de-domed HD2010. Probably the best size and price per throw ratio out there.

My first light: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/sz_8led_1aa.htm

My favorite: I guess there’s quite a few favorites, depending on what I’m doing.

My first light: was the skyray 818

My favorite: is a modded mini mag with 3x XP-G2 its in my pocket i take it anywhere and the great small sun ZY-T08

What is the first LED light you ever bought ? Feeling a little de-ja-vu here…

Didn’t see that.

I think I’ve told the story before, but the first non-Mag-lite I had and got excited about was the Dorcy One-watt. It was something like 45 lumens with a belt clip and nice performance for the time. I can remember being very impressed with it. That opened the flood gate. Next light was the Coleman MAX 73 lumen incan. I remember it slightly outdid the Surefire G2.

And the rest, as they say, is a series of [bright] memories!

My first power LED light was a Nebo Red Line 3 x AAA XR-E given to me by my brother. He probably got it at a gun shop. The exterior is a sort of Flash Gordony demonstration of numerical control. Very nice but now somewhat outdated. Output is regulated at about 1 amp.
My favorite single light is the Yezl T9 with a Qlite star 4 driver and an expensive and imperfect lens that is so big I had to glue it in with Duco Cement, instead of using the bezel ring.
My current favorite type is the Smiling Shark SS-5039, though it is not bright as bought and, as bought, does not carry heat well from the led to the case.

My favorite normal white flashlight is my MT-G2 modded Shadow TC300, I like a lot of my RGB creations more but when I need a white light and throw isn’t a concern the TC300 is what I reach for.

1 Maglite

2 Maglite

Whew I’m not alone lol! A&P since 1995. Yourrid I was just in Hinesville, GA a month ago. Got my feet wet in ga FBO work. Moved 1800 miles to work on the big iron for a few years, now doing goverment work :slight_smile: But boy do I miss GA work :frowning:

My 1st Real LED light was a streamlight Task-Light titanium that saw heavy use in Aviation

My current favorite is my SRK. (Butt I have a Warsun A9 on the way so that may change hehe)