What would you take for a trip to south/east Europe?

I won’t take them all (especially if they are fake as I suspect), but I was planning to take 4 lights (2 per person), and 2 spare batteries per light at least. Less if I find a correct solar charger…but they seem to be big or inefficient…

In the past (long time ago) I did the same type of trip with just 2D and 2AA Maglites (yes it was in the “before-led” era), and ended running out of batteries, but I don’t remember how much spares I had, nor the practical runtime of these Maglites. I tend to favour small lights, I don’t think I’ll need much power. Maybe I can take the Sparks SG3 instead of the H31fc, it has a great powerful turbo mode though.

I have an older version of this solar charge Amazon.com and it works fine charging 4 NiMH batteries. If I was charging less than 4 I would plug this one http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products/AA-2-Pack-with-USB-Charger into the output port of the Goal Zero battery charger so that it doesn’t constantly go on/off if the sun is occluded.

I come back to taunt you with my Olight S20-L2. :wink:

If you run it on the lowest mode you can have it running continously for more than three weeks on a single 18650. Not very bright, but bright enough to find the way to the bathroom in the dark or rummaging in the luggage if you don’t want to disturb others or destroy your eyes adaptation to the darkness. And easy to increase the level if needed.

Add a small silicone diffuser and you have a great tent/camp lantern for hiking as well.

And if needed it runs fine on two CR123s…

you have a point, this would be a great light for the OP

You do not need any special equipement. First of all, you need two light sources - flashlight and headlamp. Both water resistant. Ideal is combination of Nimh AA battery in pocket flashlight and 18650 headlamp. You need some spare reachargeable batteries. There is no problem to buy alkaline AA batteries almost everywhere. If you have some USB adapter and usb charger for you batteries, take it. You can charge your batteries is some cafes. Also you can tell some man in villages that you need water to drink and if it is possible to charge your batteries for a half hour. That is reason for take really good USB power bank with solid input - XIAOMI for example.

I agree with street on most of his points: you only (need) a headlamp. That being said, it is extremely useful to have some form of flashlight. Make sure it takes rechargeables + primaries (JIK), and has a low low and a decent high.
I disagree on his battery considerations, but that is just me.

I am going on a group backpacking trip this summer, and I am debating whether I need a flashlight at all gasp.

The reason behind me recommending the black diamond revolt was: small, can be recharged via USB, can take (3)AAAs if needed (I recommend lithiums), decent efficiency, mode arrangement (has dimming), and different leds (flood, spot, RED (more useful than you might think)).

the olight S15 is cool because you can get 2 extra extension tubes (total of 3 AA) for a better runtime.

The Black diamond revolt sure looks interesting, but non regulated, and also cool white without an easy way to mod it.

I’ve tried some various lights in various situations this week, and I think the Olight S20-L2 you pointed will do great. I’ll have to find a way to mod it to neutral or warm, but it should be doable if it’s like the S10 :smiley:

Lithium AA are more expensive (for me) than CR123A. Zebralight H502c is really nice for close-up tasks, but its lack of reflector is a real handicap for what I’ll do I think, as I tend to end up in high mode with it… Size and weight matter a bit, so I’ll avoid solar charger, and I’ll probably end with these lights:

Me: Spark SF3 and Zebra H31fc
GF : Olight S10 and Spark SG3
Backup : L3 Illumination L10 (small, runs on AA) and Olight i3s (with lithium AAA)

plus very probably an Olight S20-L2 with a 3400mAh 18650.

With 8 CR123A (one in each light and 4 spares), that will be waaaay overkill I think, but I can’t help it, I’m a flashaholic :cowboy_hat_face:
Anyway, these should be light and small enough to remain unnoticeable. The headlamps will probably get the most use, so I’m not still 100% for the S20…maybe an Armytek Wizard instead? But they are expensive, and suffer from firmware bug (?).

Its not more lights you need, you need the most power you can get away with, 3 lights is more then good enough (4 or more is overkill) but you want as many batteries as you can

I think flashlights with AA/AAA will be better to find extra batteries when needed.
In Europe it is not easy to find 18650 format and also cr123a.

Yes, that’s true, even if now with all the vaping stores you can usually find 18650 and chargers much more easily than before.

I’m still hesitating with AA, but AA primary are inefficient, except Lithium AA which are too expensive for my tastes. I think having one AA and one AAA light as a backup is enough :smiley: Also I don’t like AA lights anymore…plenty to sell soon!

Also I’ve found the S20-L2 for ~40€ locally :heart_eyes:
so…

Me: Olight S20-L2 and Zebra H31fc
GF : Olight S10 and Spark SG3 (with reflector)
Backup : L3 Illumination L10 and Olight i3s (with lithium AAA), plus 4 CR123A (one storage box).

The occupied space is now correct, and in the worst case I’ll probably be able to buy AA or AAA. And if things get out of control, I’ll be an ashamed flashaholic and buy candles :smiley:

Great combo. Also they can use the same batteries, CR123A. The S20-L2 supposedly can run on two CR123A, but I’ve never tested.

I agree with your earlier comment about modding the S20-L2 to NW. The cool tint was the only reason I hesitated when I bought it. It is CW, but not too bad. I usually prefer 3C for general use and 7A for area lighting in the garden.

There’s also the Eagletac D25LC2. More expensive, but can be found with Nichia 219, or modded easily…and it can also take2 CR123A, but has no moonlight.

When I modded my S10, I broke a small part of the switch cap, so it is a bit squishy now. I have some 7A XM-L2, arrived two weeks ago and still not tested, along with some 4C…will probably put the 4C in the S20, if I can!