What you got today

Yeah I wouldn't mind some larger flashlights (Maglite C & D sized). I too was surprised how small my KD C8 was when it came (my first high-powered light). On the other hand, I was also surprised by how big an 18650 was when I got my first ones. Guess I was used to AA's. Oh well, like the old argument goes, size doesn't matter.

-Garry

I just got my TR-12J from Manafont!! This thing is a beast!!!!

Today I got SPAM - lots of SPAM. Actually a forum full of SPAM.

Good eye DTHRCKT; I didn't notice the low post count combined with the image link to the external source.

A strict 'To the pain!' policy for the paisley spammers!

"

Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.

Westley: No. To the pain.

Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.

Westley: I'll explain, and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog-faced buffoon.

Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.

Westley: It won't be the last. "To the pain" means the first thing you lose will be your feet, below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists. Next, your nose.

Humperdinck: [losing his patience] And then my tongue, I suppose. I killed you too quickly the last time, a mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.

Westley: I wasn't finished! The next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by your right —

Humperdinck: [exasperated] And then my ears. I understand! Let's get on with it-

Westley: WRONG! Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why: So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

Humperdinck: [Cautious] I think you're bluffing.

Westley: It's possible, pig. I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.

[Westley slowly rises and points his sword directly at the prince]

Westley: Drop. Your. Sword.

"

I just received my fake Solarforce L2 from Lightake along with their 3-mode XM-L drop-in. (The drop-in is SMO not OP as stated in the description.) Ordered this L2 based on Vectrex's recommendation. This is my first P60 host! Now for some of that copper foil!

Edit: Ordered 2/10/12 - Recv'd today 3/1/12.

-Garry

You are allowed to turn it on... you know? :-) How is your first impression on that host? Is that drop-in really high-voltage? Try with 1 cell first and measure the output just to be safe... pic of the driver? Didn't you order the 2 batt host?

Actually I'm at work, so I wasn't going to mess with it until I get home. (I do have (2) 18650 flashlights in the car if I wanted to grab a battery though.) It seems like a real nice host, although I'm sure it's not Solarforce quality. I don't own a Solarforce, but from all the raving I hear, I don't think this lives up to it - but it's not bad at all. The drop-in, I do wonder about that "7.4v" spec. How would I know whether or not it can run 2 Li-Ions for sure? If it's made for 2, would it be lower output on 1? I'll take a tailcap measurement tonight at home.

Oh, I remember considering that 2 battery host, but I'm not sure why I passed. I guess I thought I'd never want that long of a P60 host.

-Garry

I'm interested in knowing if that drop-in can handle two cells as well! I have the MF Ultrafire 501d host on its way and was planning to fill with a single-mode XP-G R5 @ 1A as a long-runtime/reasonable power/decent spill type of KISS light. I might be willing to upgrade to the XML 3-mode if it will work!

If you went for the 1 batt host there is nothing to worry about safety-wise, but it is possible that you will be disappointed by the max output if it really is a high voltage dropin (they are rare) , when you are using only 1 cell. I don't trust Chinese vendor description very much and the first dropins were all single cell driven (3.7 or 4.2v max) Many real budget high voltage dropins have considerably less output on high on 3.7 V (1 batt) than 7.4V (2 batt). A tailcap reading would eventually clarify which driver is used.... or not... hard to say... together with the brightness on max... might give you a rough idea. You will be running it on 1X18650 exclusively or also 2X16340? I have the direct comparison between L2t, L2r, Fake L2 and UF-504B and at least on my samples the differences are not that great as one would think after reading some of the SF reviews. It depends largely on someones exceptions.... how much is one willing to pay for better knurling or slightly better threads. (actually I prefer the threads on my fake L2 over the orig L2R) But since we are on budget territory production quality can change over night.... that's why I asked... I need another 2 batt host for a friend who has seen my Frankenstein 3AA XM-L lights. So my initial question wasn't completely unselfish.

I got 3 FEIT PAR38 18 Watt 885 Lumen LED recessed light bulbs from Costco for $21.99 each. I'm very pleased so far.

Are those dimmable , sir ?

And could you please describe the tint ?

They are dimmable. The color temp is claimed to be 3000k (warm) I'd say they're closer to a nutural white. I've got 2 installed in my bathroom, and 1 above my kitchen sink. They're much brighter than the 23 watt CFL's they replaced. Very pleased so far

Interesting .

I got my uf t50 from ric , thanks it’s my fav. 18650 atm

I got home, changed out of my work clothes and sat in my recliner. Hmmm whats that smell. Jumped up. One of my cats decided my chair would make a great litter tray.( turd- too) WTF. Thats never happened before.

We had a dispute yesterday morning. He wanted me to feed him some roo meat and I didn't want to. Then he would not go outside so I persuaded him by flicking a towel at him. It was PAYBACK!

Does that host have any branding on it?

Yes, it is branded as "Solarforce L2". You can see it in this photo on the Lightake page:

I really like this light! Probably my favorite right now! The threads seemed a little cheap, but once lubed work very well. The head and tailcap feel featherweight when removed (not sure if the true Solarforce's are that light) which add to the cheap feel, however once it's all together the light has a very good feel to it. It tailstands just fine. The drop-in seems to fit well. The tailcap switch feels like one of the best I have. It's very rigid (not squishy), and changes modes with just a slight tap (but not too easily). My KD C8's switch doesn't have the same nice solid feel and feels like the switch is a bit too far recessed. It does have a green GITD boot. Mode memory engages very quickly (1 to 2 seconds?). I'm learning that I appreciate a mode memory that kicks in quickly.

The drop-in is 5 mode, NOT 3 mode as advertised. It is SMO and not OP (as previously mentioned above). Mode spacing seems to be 100%, 50%, 10% (then Strobe, SOS). I will say that this strobe is the nicest I've seen yet (if there is such a thing as a nice strobe!). It's a much slower strobe than my other lights which seem to be an extremely fast blinking strobe for "self-defense" type use. This one is slower (guessing about 2 to 4 flashes per second) which is more like a "signaling/warning" type strobe. The tint is a very nice cool white (didn't notice any purple or green). Emitter was perfectly centered.

Tailcap currents (measured with homemade thick gauge leads):

With Trustfire Flame 2400 @ 3.94v:

High: 2.43A
Med: 1.48A
Low: 0.32A

I thought the battery might be a little weak, so then I tested with a Tenergy 2600mAh @ 4.20v

High: 3.04A
Med: 1.58A
Low: 0.38A

I am guessing this means the drop-in is probably the standard "4.2v max" since I'm getting such a high reading with one cell. (So basically all the specs listed by Lightake are wrong!)

I compared this light side-by-side with my KD C8 (tested to pull 3A on high, OP reflector) and their beams are very very similar. I finally noticed a slight difference shining 120 feet to a shed where the KD C8 had a slightly brighter hotspot. You really had to look for the difference though. I didn't notice the head getting hot, but it was cold outside and I didn't run it on high too long. I also don't have the drop-in wrapped in any foil yet. The medium setting doesn't look too far from high (would prefer just slightly lower) and low is still plenty of light (about perfect for me - I don't like "moonlight" lows).

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks to Vectrex for turning me on to this purchase (the body anyway)!

-Garry

At lunch, tuesday, I let my samoyed inside but left the husky and great pyrenees out in the snow (because they'd excluded her from the dog houses). They looked at me like WTF?

I got home to find a hole ripped in the welded wire kennel fence and some hair hanging around the hole. No great pyrenees to be found (the husky got snagged by animal control once and spent the weekend in their cage, now he won't leave the kennel even if you leave the door open). He could get out any time he wants (he's 5' tall, so is the fence) but he was just letting me know...

I started calling around and he had trotted about two blocks until he found someone to let him inside and rub his belly. She had told the agencies she called "I don't know what kind of dog he is...like a little polar bear".

Anyway, I went and picked him up - at least he picked a cute one - good dog ;)