What's the best value thrower?

That sounds like some excellent value, but I’m seeing it there at $39.39, or $37.42 with scaru’s 10% coupon. Did the price change or am I missing something?

I guess so. I think mine was like $34 something. But that’s still one of the best throwers you will buy for the money. You can buy a HD2010 for like $27 something at Tmart using the coupon code.

I have that same U2 C8 light and like it a lot.
I have this one on the way which appears to be the same light;

Disregard the 248 lumens in the specs.

I also already own this one from Wallbuys which is listed as a regular T6 and it hangs right with the U2 and is not black, so if you want a little variety, get this one.

At those cheap prices, order both!
Please remember they will not be shipping until Jan 4th because of holiday.
Anyway they are nice lights and I have not found them any cheaper.
HTH
Keith

Agreed. C8 can do pretty good, possibly up to 400m for the best examples. They are nice combo lights. But many of the other lights mentioned above can throw in the 500m range.

From my findings, I doubt if you will find any C8’s to throw close to even 400yds where you could actually see much of anything at all.

I have the Small Sun ZY-T13 and im quite happy with it. $26 from Tmart. In stock form mine is pulling 890mah at the tail cap.

I think the ZY-T08 is a bit better thrower for a few $$ more

The small suns all seem to need a resistor mod to get them up where you want them drive current wise. I have the zy-t08 and stock its so so, in fact to be fair its impressive when you consider how underdriven it is, but I feel it does want a sense resistor mod to wake it up properly.

Still, at the price of them, you can’t really go wrong.

+1

Sort of yes and sort of no. My brother and I both own C8’s that will basically throw 400m. One is an XRE and the other is a XML U2 driven at about 3.6a. Both will throw about .25L at a target 400m away. Have verified it multiple times. So “officially” they do it.
BUT, I fully agree with you that at that level it’s not really useable light. If you count 1 lumen as useable light, then they will only throw about 175m at that level. But that same thing applies to all lights. Even my SR90 only throws 1 lumen about 375m.
So I guess it’s all about what level one thinks is useable. .25L, 1L, 10L, etc……

That light looks a lot like the C9 with XML-U2 that cost about a buck cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261136121958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I’m pretty new to these type of flashlights, but isn’t the xml-u2 a lot better bulb than the XRE-Q5 ? i was hoping to find the best/brightest, etc, for the money

Hey thanks for the info. They definitely look promising. Whoa, those prices are fantastic. I never been to that site before. Thx

Yea, that first one doesn’t even say what type of bulb so I wouldn’t want to risk it myself, but hopefully you can share your opinion when it arrives. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Zooming in on the body it says “XML-U2” -That’s hell of a deal for $10

Question about the Jacob A60 and Fandyfire HD2010… do they have built-in over-discharge protection circuit?

@PyTech: XM-L is capable of a higher overall output (lumens) but the XR-E has a smaller emitter size and therefore can produce a pencil-thin beam.

@Verge: I doubt the HD2010 has a protection circuit, but since it is on direct drive, you should able to see the decrease in brightness.
Sorry, I’m not too sure about the A60 though. :slight_smile:

My HD2010s do not have protection. However, they get very dim (high much lower than the low mode) before the battery is at unsafe levels. That does not protect against a light that has been left on unattended but it is no problem for me during normal use.

I absolutely agree. Although 0.25 lumens is used as a benchmark for testing purposes, I think 1 lumen or so is more correct with regards to usability. I really do wish we would be given the throw numbers (distance) at 1 lumen.
Btw, I have the XinTD and the STL-V2. My vote would be the STL-V2. Just my 2 cents worth.

Not lumen, lux

Even though they look the same, they differ in the bezel size: Jacob A60 is 55mm while the above C9 is 44mm. Consider that the bigger the bezel (reflector) the better the throw. But remember though A60 is better thrower, you may not think so because the total light output is a lot less than T6/U2, and the hot spot is narrow and dim. Whenever I use A60, I keep reminding (or assure) myself that it’s the best thrower for under $20. If you are not in a hurry, perhaps you wait for possible another Wallbuys 50% deal and get Small Sun zy-t13 (2x18650) for $14.

if you ask me… i wouldn’t carry a thrower to the wood, since i joined this forum… i somehow managed to collect lights that was over my budget :smiley:
the best light to carry into the wood probably something like Thrunite TN30 or maybe fenix TK75, as they can light the surrounding very bright and also a good thrower too, it can throw as far as your eyes can see in the dark with the light on :wink:
but these are not budget lights.
but if i have to start over again in buying lights … i might just get over with and buy 1 “expensive” light so i can be happy for a loooong time :smiley:

I still like my Solarforce Pro-1 with 2x RCR 123’s or 2x18650’s. Might not light up a big area like the XM-L flood-throwers but still punches right out there. More of a lightsabre than a blaster…. :smiley:

just get over with it… start from the top and you won’t have to worry about upgrading for awhile…
I think FEnix TK75 is a good start, it can be both trhower and decent flood too… :smiley:
I got Fenix TK75 from CouldUseALight, an awesome light, and he got the TK70 is for sale too… too bad my budget for light is already stretch to the limit this week ( Thrunite TN30,Thrunite TN31,Fenix TK75, + $200 worth flashlights from wallbuys)
come to think of it… i think i’m done with buying flashlights. :smiley:
here’s the oppotunity to own TK70 for good price …Sold: Price DROP: TK70 (SOLD) $175, TK75 (sold)
(BTW i’m not related to him nor i known him personally, but definitely he deliver :laughing:

Best thrower? Maglite with rebel reflector. :zipper_mouth_face: Hot spot is less than 2/3 the size of the hot spot from the XinTD. (of course with an XPG LED, hotspot would be even smaller.)