Whats the difference between a budget and a high priced flashlight

I assume everyone drives a Yugo? :smiley:

I’m sure not everyone has a yugo

but i wouldn’t be suprised if this is what everyone that owns a yugo has in the glove box

Not sure I agree actually.

Let’s face it, nobody really needs lots of different torches. One or two would be more than sufficient, in fact you could even get by with none.

I agree not all budget lights will be cheaply designed and built, and not all premium lights are good lights. But I think there is place for higher quality. Same goes with PC’s, cars, TV’s, kettles, you name it.

When it comes to flashlights im more interested in whats “under the hood”… Just because the host is not the best does not make you can not turn it into beast…

Just like a Yugo could potentially be turned into a beast…

I often prefer cheaper lights, because I use them more instead of baby them.
I also have way more fun with them, making them into small beasts that can humiliate “premium lights” costing way more. :slight_smile:

Personally I can justify the price of a BMW, expensive electronic stuff, speakers, etc… I cant justify the price of most premium lights.

Ha ha, made me chuckle that did!!
I don’t see a huge difference, and think in the world in general way too much badge engineering going on, but some people will pay for a different badge, not saying all are like it just most.
Bit like people in the Uk who buy a VW over a Skoda, even though 99% identical, saying that Skoda’s aren’t cheap any more!!
tabs

my last vdub, 01.5 passat glx, was basically an audi with a vw badge here and there, but audi badges on every single part. my current vdub, a 97 cabrio, is a mexican made POS. so a certain badge dont always mean quality either

I tell people to buy all the cheap and junky lights they want for around the house and garage, but that everyone should also have at least one dependable high quality light for the house and car.
It is similar to guns, I shoot all kinds of junk ammo at the range but when I finish, I load my guns with high quality, expensive ammo for off the range.

My one real expensive light is a host kit. It should have been $79 for the host, then needs an led and driver. I’ve got an mt-g2 to go in and am waiting on drivers coming in.

Now, its likely that if I’d paid retail for everything, I’d have in the region of $110 in it.

I didn’t spend that, but it is a high quality host, with fairly up to the minute components, I’m not aware of a manufacturer using the mt-g2 or driving them at 5a.

However, this light really won’t see the use of my “budget” edc’s, work used c8 or jm07 clone. These all perform perfectly (granted they have been “tailored”) for what I need, I just dont need magnetic control rings, fancy ui, square cut threads or a name on the side. All I need is what I listed originally - host, light engine, cell. I’ve spent a lot more on cells than on some of my most used lights.

I’d also never ever buy a light with onboard charging. Putting a cell with potential to vent in a sealed aluminium tube to charge does not strike me as a brilliant idea at all.

I have never fancied the onboard charging either. I like to use a good charger (like my Xtar SPII) and check voltage before and after charging with a DMM.

If a flashlight comes with a really nice box/case it is a sign that it has a premium price. If I ever should buy a premium light I would use it, and I would like to know that I did not waste money on a fancy box/case that I would never use. And which is worth the same as a good flashlight. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not only does a premium light cost much more on because of the UI and build. Premium lights usually comes with higher shipping cost (from EU or US), higher profit since manufacturer is not located in China (thus higher price). Higher price equals 25% extra VAT and custom fees for me. All in all. I would pay a lot more for not much more.

As for the extra reliability. I have never had a budget light fail on me, and if it should fail. In many cases I could fix it quite fast (if it uses 17mm driver or a typical switch). I usually carry a spare too so reliability is no issue. I dont have super high expectations for them…
I have heard a bunch of stories of Zebralights having issues. One of the few manufacturers that offers a UI i could like. But I would not like to have issues if paying premium!

Despite all the above (and more reasons) I can see many nice things about premium lights, but the cost is just not worth it for me.
And there are so many reasons to like budget lights.
:bigsmile:

Ultimately I think that’s what it’s about, your priorities and the perspective with which you view that purchase. If you’re giving your wife a light to use in the midnight hours, possibly as life-saving action, do you want it to be a $15 budget cheapy copy-cat? I don’t! Are you going to use it a few seconds or minutes at a time to check what the dog is barking at or let the kiddo play with it? Then budget comes to mind.

I’ve discovered Solarforce lights. Cheap (til you buy the battery) and well made to boot. So I now have 4 of em. Didn’t need em. Wanted em for different purposes. Ones got a M3 head for throw. One has a triple Nichia 219 for Macro Photography on-the-quick, one has a nice flood of white light for around the house, and one’s my wife’s edc. The wife got the expensive one, still a Solarforce but very solid and with a McClicky switch added.

I also am having a custom light made, not budget at all, but that’s more about the dude’s machining abilities than it is the light itself so that one’s about perspective. It will also be as near 100% reliable as they come, and backed keenly by it’s maker. Not a single off-the-shelf part involved, save for the cell.

So, one is none and two is one works in many ways, No?

Right down to the 600 lumen floody that’s 2” long and rides on my keychain. :slight_smile:

Personally I think the difference between expensive and inexpensive torches was much more of an issue 8 or 10 years ago when LED technology was just emerging. I spent significant dollars on a hand built, HA3 finished, programmable output level, hand picked emitter BIN, torch back in 2004 as it offered features I found appealing that were unavailable on the retail market at the time. It still serves me well :slight_smile:

But today the field has been more or less leveled. As noted in posts above, fit, finish, parts quality, warranty, and customer service are what distinguishes between price levels. Functionality is pretty much equal save the super cheap that fails after a handful of uses.

you win the prize (if there was one), since i can’t try the expensive lights i authored this thread instead :bigsmile:

So lets summarize

Pros of higher price
-cachet of owning a name brand item
-likely better drivers, hopefully a buck/boost, or at least lumen maintenance over the battery lifespan
-possibly different kinds of modes, infinitely variable or programmable
-better glass, AR coated and/or hardened glass
-possible research before development (would be nice to know that the heat shedding has been calculated)
-better manufacturer support and a warranty
-better QC, less batch variability, and little to no quality fade
-better anodizing (can one determine the quality of anodizing non destructively?)
-‘better’ threads (could use some clarification)
-less fudging on the specs (and hopefully none)
-better sized and durable or even double o-rings
-less likely to incur damage if abused/left on high (may have temp sensors built in)
-more pride of ownership, and other forum inclusion J)
-user interface may be more polished
-less likely to have PWM
-anodized threads (why is this a benefit?)

Pros of budget
-lower cost :wink:
-more bang per buck
-less fear of damage or loss
-the top of the line budget category can be more advanced (R&D is slowing down release of non budget?)
-less on the line if something goes wrong during modification
-often easier to customize/upgrade (less proprietary and hard to replace parts)
-shipping is super cheap or free (likely subsidized)

Both may have interesting features such as onboard charging, USB out, bendable head, lamp mode, and so forth

Thoughts?

‘better’ threads (could use some clarification)
better threads would be anodized, square cut and or tighter tolerances. anodized threads will help them last longer and have lockout. some cheap lights have made me cringe while screwing them on. take a qtip with some alcohol to bare threads of the tail end of a light. that silver/gray stuff is aluminum wearing off

If you have one of the early Photon Protons from about 6 or 7 years ago, they will replace it for free, because they believe that the first threads were a weak spot in the original light.

That kind of thing inspires confidence in a company and their lights.

I believe it is very difficult to have the best of both worlds.

Whilst Solarforce host are fun to play with by combining different drop ins and reflectors and tail switches, the combined cost does not come up cheap. Unless we are talking about ebay / DX / Manafont / Kaidomain cheap entries >20 USD lights. (usually 5 mode XML blinky lights)

Add a little more, we can get higher quality lights like foursevens quark aa2 / QP2A or FENIX LD22. the Moonlight mode and current regulation is really efficient and important.

There are no budget lights with current regulation and moonlight modes. unless DIY with a Nanj driver.

Take Fenix TK75. There are no comparable budget entries. there just isnt any.

I believe you have to own a couple to appreciate it. Value is a perceptive term…

Materials used are different though most might not be able to see it or appreciate it. Nowadays we seldom see T7075 used for expensive light anymore. Looks like T6061 is used more often. I have no idea what aluminium used in budget light. The stronger aluminium used will allow your torch run over by truck for example. Not useful for common folks like us. It is more a want than need.

Whats the difference between a budget and a high priced flashlight

About $70

I understand iam new to this forum ans way behind on the newest technology curve but about 61/2 years ago I bought a Streamlight ultrastinger feeling I overpaid way to much tool truck .But what I can attest to in a court of law if need be is I dropped my prized ultrStinger off the right wing of a Boeing 747-200 on a concrete tarmac I dented the bezel crazed the lens popped the the bulb .I called the manufacturer spoke to and english speaking rep .got a RA sent light I. Sent all Streamlight s cost
2 weeks later they sent lightjunkie back@their cost? Then 1 years ago I drop the same light in a cold water lake I was night fishing in and crazed the lens again all total abusw by me Streamlight warranted at their cost, I can no longer afford these high dollar lights but I figured the high performance for what I’m paying for will outway the old technology!

The price