what's the highest capacity 14500 cell?

Was there no metallic coloured wrapper underneath?

No, but the backside of the yellow/black wrapper is shiny.. and pretty tough.

Because when tried to press my nitecore I the saber a1 I damaged the wrapper and it looks metallic but I get no continuity against both poles so I thought it is just a scratch on the paint…but I was a bit afraid as you said that there is just yellow and black…

Edit:for sure there was no contact, I blame autocorrection…

I doubt its metal.. I just set it on fire and it burned completely. Continuity against both poles could mean you "found" the strip connecting both poles?

Every TF Flame 14500 I got was bad. Wouldn’t hold a single charge. I’d go with the Nitecore or Sanyo.

The big advantage of the TF protected is there size…

With metal wrap I meant metal colored like the ones on the trustfire flames…
Thanks for extensive testing, now I can leave mine original without having fear.

So who is the manufacturer of the Nitecore?

edit - found this: http://cecell.diytrade.com/sdp/1022339/4/pd-4993181/9619869-1962761.html

Groupbuy? :bigsmile:

I just read your edit Werner, I'm not sure if it said "no" from the beginning.. maybe I misread it, but whatever. :D The wrapper is yellow/black, but the backside is shiny. Its pretty tough for a cell wrapper, the wrapper of Keeppower or Sanyo cells gives up more easily.

I had written garbage, that was what i meant in my edit in which I blamed the autocorrection to mess things up(I need to switch the language each time on Ipad, if I miss it the result is cryptic garbage)

Hi BLF members, after reading some threads on 14500, I wonder what would be the recommended protected 14500 cells for “beginner”? Seems like some close contenders include,

Primary concerns include the “fitting” of cell into various flashlights. Some current lights include, SC52, XENO E03, Acher 1A
Also, have some similar questions for 18650 choice here. Many thanks!! :slight_smile:

Those are all good. Measure the ID of your flashlights. If the ID is 14mm, then you've got a problem. If the ID is 14.5mm, you are fine. Lenght of protected 14500 cells is about 51.5mm, so thats also something to consider.

Cool, got it now. And given I have yet to own a measuring ruler (those cool micrometer I saw on this forum), I might just have to open some other new thread and seek help from kind members here on specific light, e.g., “any concern of fitting this cell into this light?” :slight_smile:

You should totally get a caliper, very useful tool. Should be available at hardware stores for about 10-15 bucks.

Yes, a new thread would be better in this case. People that have these flashlights already could share their experience.

Nitecore seems to be best value. I have two and they work great.

I did get a zl 14500 to run in my sc52. It fits fine and no problems of any kind. Goes for a week before its out, used every day usually on high. I also have a couple of nitecore 18650 batts and they are flawless so far.

It is a chinese battery, but it is not crappy. Keeppower, AW, Solarforce and Fenix also use chinese batteries. Those guys can produce high quality products, if you pay them right. If you dont, you dont get high quality.. but ultrafire quality. :D

It’s not crappy, it works well.

If I was to use the unprotected Sanyo cells in a flashlight like the Sipik sk68 would the flashlight cut off below a certain voltage or would it just keep bleeding them dry?

The Sipik68 is a very “dumb” cheap flashlight, I’m pretty certain it would keep the circuit open, but there are so many variations on quality and operation on them, you couldnt say for sure…so I’d just assume it would and get a protected cell.