When will the next gen CREE come out?

But remember that computer's aren't getting any faster; it's just that we are using more of them... at the same time! It's all multi-core CPUs now. If the CPU is analogous to the emitters, then a triple-core CPU would be equivilent to having a 3x XML dropin which is where the market seems to be at this time. The next logical step will be cloud lighting where we all have a single huge light source that is shared around the world and anyone can use when light is needed! See this article for information on this revolutionary new technology.

Yes you can say the clock speed of the processors are not any faster, with multicore processors doing the work now, but the computational performance of even a single core in todays (system) is still superior to the 3ghz core (system) of not too long ago.

The sun works well for a cloud based system, however its availability is still limited due to routing difficulties resulting from the geographical distribution of the population over the planet. A time share system still has its down periods when service is unavailable, thats where the technology is still lacking.

I don't think that the "computers compared to emitters" analogy is a good one. Lots of factors go into making a computer faster, and the market is ginormous compared to the high-end flashlight market.

Emitter mfg's only have to generate light from a coil, so their options are limited. It would take a totally new discovery (i.e. a competitor to the Cree format) that could excite more light out of a dome yet produce less heat Not saying it won't happen, but I doubt you will see single-Cree emitters putting out twice as many lumens as the current crop.

Maybe they could "grow" the emitter vertically, if they can figure out how to wick away the heat, and end up with a Cree that looks like an HID bulb. That would give more surface area for light, but heat is still going to be the issue.

Cutter MT-G takes 6 to 24 volts 4amps and pumps out 1500 lumens from a 20mm star if you can get the heat out... Maybe possible to hook up to a 7027 bucktoot, two IMR 18350's and blister some retinas. Of course when you push the clickie to shut it off it will be so hot that it brands your thumb.

hmmmm, forgot about that one

You are also faced with bandwidth issues for users in remote subterranean regions. As with any new technology, there are barriers which must be overcome before it can become widely adopted. Fortunately, recent advances may help bring this revolutionary technology into our lives. Light Storage and Light Pipes could very well be the stepping stones toward this goal.

And I think I've gotten all the milage out of that joke I can get...Undecided

The analogy's closer than perhaps what's obvious. Both use similar semiconductor processes, though with different priorities. See for example Haitz's Law.

Google is currently working on FlatEarth technology to address this shortcoming.

Are we all bound to suffer a deprivation crisis?