Where did the old BLF go? The bring back budget to BLF thread, LOL.

Given rudimentary soldering skills at present. My lot in modding limits me $8-$10 mtn FET drivers x 20 lights it adds up.

SMD soldering is really not hard. Some solder paste, a reflow gun, fine tweezers, magnifier helmet (harbor freight sells one that I use) and you are basically set.

There are lots of videos online about how to do it but basically you put solder pate on pads, place components on the paste in the correct locations, heat with some kind of temperature control heat source (aka, reflow / hot air gun), wait until the paste melts and then let everything cool.

The hardest part is installing all the tiny components without dropping one, cause you ain’t never gonna find it if you do.

Yep. I wouldn’t be doing my own drivers if I had to use my iron, I’m not that precise with it either. Paste and a heat gun make it pretty easy, as long as you have a steady enough hand and a good eye. Not much skill needed

I would reckon the programming portion would be a little more difficult to learn, if’n you don’t then get to the build phase and start breaking crap.

Programming is really easy actually assuming you get a pre-compiled hex file. Which is available for most driver designs. If you get the C file it takes a little work to compile it but you can generally find someone that can upload a compiled version for you if using a standard design.

Flashing a hex file just needs a $3 programmer, a simple program and a $3 clip off ebay.

Overall it is not hard, just a bit of time to learn how.

If your time is worth more then that, well thats where RMM comes in with his pre-made drivers.

Writing out the code itself in C was actually what I had in mind, not that it makes a difference. Just something that interests me personally. However you look at it, there’s a lot of intricate work behind the scenes of any well done build or modding project. Would you know where some examples of flashlight driver C files can be downloaded, pre-compiled? I’ve found the hex files but would like to look at the C programming. All the info I’ve read on this forum has most definitely been very helpful. Thanks guys.

Ah, yeah writing the code from scratch is a whole other ball of wax. Even I don’t venture into that arena much, minor edits of code is about where I call things quits. Editing values to suite your desires is easy though.

Toykeeper has a great thread with tons of flashlight code for you to play with: Flashlight Firmware Repository

You can obviously get as detailed as you want with making drivers but it doesn’t have to be that way. I was trying to point out that most people are capable of building and programming drivers with basic DIY knowledge.

Yes, the term programming has extensive contexts. It’s all good though. Thanks for the link. For me, it’s more than enough information to chew on for a good long time.

I’m both a CPF and BLF guy. I started here and found myself spending more time at CPF.

Generaly speaking I find the mention of low budget lights to be much more frequent at BLF than CPF.

Seems to me that BLF caters more to modders and do it your selfers that have the talent and skill to create great lights. CPF is for the rest of us that want that GREAT HIGH OUTPUT LIGHT but don’t have the skills to build it.

CPFers therefore spend the bucks up front and enjoy the light. BLFers enjoy the light AND THE BUILD.

Of course these are just observations and not a hard and fast rule for either group. I appreciate both groups.

But as the OP (justin) states. It’s tough to mod a budget light without spending money.

What I have found as others have already stated is if you haven’t put the money into modding the cheap light, you are often times left with just that. A CHEAP LIGHT.

As anyone that has ever been a recipient of an OL light knows,there is nothing cheap about them.

Rant over. Thanks for starting this thread Justin.

Wow. I’m astounded.

Hey mate you will be okay i had a similiar issue before. My jaw is out of line and i got TMJ and my jaw was inflamed and i had vertigo. They can give you pills for it but you will still have to wait it out. Go and see a ENT they may be able to help.

Thanks. I’m scheduled to see an ENT late this month which was a battle to get as they had me down for a soonest available appointment of Nov. 1. Taking the Meclizine helps. TMJ, ouch, doesn’t sound fun at all. My vertigo from VN. Wish I see ENT today. Hey if you want to talk anymore Dr. shop maybe pm me. Also if I can think of any questions, is it ok to pm you? However, we’re way off topic here.

But aren’t group buys and deals on quality lights the “budget” in budget light forum?

In addition to my above comments, I must admit there is a much greater sense of comradery and community on BLF which I greatly appreciate. From the many giveaways, and raffles, I love the way BLF picks each other up when one of thier own is down. :slight_smile:

LOL as a relative newcomer to BLF, I disagree. My $70 Fenix purchases have been replaced by $20 Convoy and BLF and Astrolux and Eagle Eye that are just as good, if not better. So yes, I have spent equal money getting more lights, the name sticks, is my vote.

I see two problems in your post, that people are not modding enough and that the modders are modding using too exotic methods. And the third hilarious one that this forum has become an excuse to get free lights. IMO none of the reviews I’ve seen have been such, they have been some of the best, most detailed ones anywhere.

If you were just trolling, then LOLs at me.

The Ultrafire C8 is a piece of junk! Hollow pill and a latticebright emitter. You can mode the driver for a bit of extra power!

On another note!
Heaps of us still mod but i guess there is no point on opening up like 100 threads about the same mods? How many times can you do the same mods and be entertained?
Just in the past few months i have built 4 C8, 2 EE X6s, modded 2 BLF D80, modded 3 headlamps, Had a few other random builds like a few cheap zoomies and a fully redone XHP50 build.

Ditto, I have built a few flashlights a week the last few weeks but who cares to see a convoy s2+ with DTP, Texas Avenger driver, TIR lens + center ring and various LED’s installed. It is has been done so many times it is just not interesting anymore.

That said I now have quite the rainbow of tints out of tube lights, which is quite fun and I am planning some mixed tint lights as well for extra fun.

Although I keep leaning towards a basic XP-L HI in ~3D to 4C tint under a TIR lens as my EDC, it just seems to give the best of all worlds IMHO. The XP-G3 is nice as well though.

So, the answer to the question “Where did the old BLF go?” is that it went into ‘been there, done that’ territory. But, at the same time, I always thought the spirit of BLF was getting the most out of what you have, and that spirit seems to be living on in new ways. ‘Pushing the limits’ doesn’t have to mean using yester-year’s hardware just for the sake of apparent continuity. ‘Pushing the limits’ means pushing into new territory, with new challenges and new solutions to old challenges. If you think modding at BLF has gone the way of the dinosaur, you’re just not paying attention:

• We have new people joining the Scratch-built contest every year.
  • We see new, fresh ideas for flashlight and ‘other’ light builds at least weekly, and sometimes daily.
  • We have new LEDs coming out quite often, which people are jumping in to test. Some are going back to their old builds and updating them with the newer emitters.
  • We have newer drivers, designed with better circuits, coming out in a variety of sizes and configurations, and lots of people are building those, testing them, and giving feedback.
  • We have some awesome firmware being written by TK, TomE, and others, then being tweaked constantly to keep up with the ever-changing hardware landscape.
  • Not all, but a lot, of the group buys are incorporating the bleeding edge technology that is being developed here at BLF. That is a new ‘kind’ of modding which is bringing new challenges and new solutions as well. We don’t just get a light out of the deal. Those who love to create are getting to see their creations made available to the world and are pushing themselves and the manufacturers to continue the quick pace of improvement. So, we’re basically ‘modding’ the manufacturers now! How cool is that?

I understand where he is coming from. When I first came to this site I was looking for the best lights possible under $10. That seemed a fair old price for my innocent eyes back then. You quickly get into lights and the next thing you know it’s $20 lights and then $30 lights. It is easy to get carried away with the latest bit of kit. I have to say though the best deals I ever got from this site was when all the old Olight’s were being sold off cheap. Now I think I bought my S30R for around $20 so do I consider that a budget light or just a light I got at a budget price? My personal limit is around the $30 mark and that is as much because TAX and shipping errors being an issue more than anything.

I would suggest for many especially the lurkers and occasional contributors when they think budget they are thinking $20 and under. On the other hand, when you find out a $200 light is being offered to us for $100 why wouldn’t you post it on here? That being said though that is a bargain price not a budget price and the two things are not the same.

There is no question that BLF is not what it once was in the eyes of many. This is because like everything else it needs to evolve with the changes within the industry!

Granted there are a great many grumblings amongst the diehard members that there is a significant loss in the number of flashlight modification threads? This was and has been a intricate part of Budget Light Forums for many, many years. To see it diminish is of course a concern for many members as it should be.

This combined with the theme of being frugal and budget conscious and seeing this aspect disappear from their forums should be concern all members as it represents a very large following of its members. The key: get involved with your community here and make it happen instead of waiting on others to do it for you. Make the suggestions, after all it is where you come and spend your time?

While all this is true there is the need to evolve with the industry and yes there is a market for the pricier flashlights albeit not everyone’s preference. It does not mean that the two cannot live together if properly orchestrated by the forum administrators. There is an obvious interest of what is available out there which interests all of us although for many we are about to hand over hundreds of dollars to own such a piece when we are more than satisfied with the Convoy’s we have modded .

There are those however that must own the latest and greatest piece of equipment that has come to market. Who are we to call them down ,those of us who are budget minded should be thank full that we ourselves have not been bitten by this bug that drives an individual to spend such idiotic sums of money on a light! The Corvette and the Ferrari crowd is the only difference.

There is certainly room for both to live as other forums have managed to do just that! While we may have a larger base with individuals interested in modding it does not and should not be cause to force active members to go open their own Website! They are not the issue as they are evolving as must BLF as a community.

Keep in mind these are the individuals that made BLF! Making them not feel welcome was/is a big, big, big mistake!
It does not need to be us against them we can all live together with a simple forum restructure in respect to topics and keeping things current and organized using the forum administrators and the people we have here. “You can be part of the solution or you can be part of the problem” which is it going to be?

Some say that the budget flashlights are Junk and that there are No new budget lights worth modding? Who said that? Maybe instead of $3.00 you might be spending $ 6.00 as a bare minimum but you can still mod the light to exceed all expectations. If that is not sufficient you can buy a Convoy Host for under $9.00 that will not break your bank account and go to town that will provide you all the enjoyment one needs for a fraction of a $100.00 flashlight. No, modding is by no means dead it is about to get interesting.

Obviously the modding section is a big deal and it can live and prosper with the creative minds that BLF has . As with anything it takes people to contribute the ideas and participate. If the participation falls off and the interest dies it is because you let it die! The expensive lights will only add to the conversation here at BLF and evolve how we improve upon our modding practices and techniques.

It’s a new chapter that BLF members need to embrace and participate in together! Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water and bring those that have contribute greatly to this site back and make the necessary changes.