Where do the batteries go?

For Christmas my hubby got a Jobsmart flashlight. No package, just a flashlight. Doesn’t work but I believe it was purchased new (from his sister). No idea how to check the batteries and no idea where they are. Think we might throw it out? It’s red, LED, has a magnet on the bottom. The top flips up and pulls up like a lantern also. About 10” tall. I have taken both ends off but still not sure where the batteries go. Seriously feel like an idiot. I didn’t learn flashlights in college.

Please click the following link to see some Jobsmart lights. Does your light look like any of those?

Also you should know that some lights have an internal rechargeable battery that can’t be “removed” or seen. Those lights will have a receptacle for an external charger.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?orderBy=&searchTerm=jobsmart+flashlight&bCrumbCatIds=&beginIndex=0&searchTermScope=&pageSize=20&searchPageType=&langId=–1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&searchType=1000&minPrice=&pageView=image&maxPrice=&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&filterTerm=&sType=SimpleSearch&metaData=&manufacturer=&viewType=

I don’t see a charger outlet/inlet but I did find that some of them are rechargeable. I just can’t determine how much I need to take apart to figure this out.
No, it doesn’t look like any of those. I took a pic on my iPhone but don’t know how to post it in here.

Help may be just a posted picture away! But the road to posting a picture may be bumpy if you have not traveled it before.

Here is a how-to:

I assume that your flashlight doesn’t have a “battery carrier”. Yes, no?

A picture of a battery carrier shows up in the third picture of the thread linked below. It’s the part with the red arrow on it. Not to make fun, but some people have only used flashlights without battery carriers (in the olden days) :). If you have a battery carrier, that’s where the batteries go. The negative end of the battery is usually contacting the spring in the carrier. Typical battery carriers will need 3-4 batteries.

It makes sense but from the top I have taken out three screws, opened thin cover, two more screws, wires to the lantern part. Then the other end (magnetic) removed four screws, then three more, then wires. I assume batteries go in one of the ends. However I cannot get either end open. I’m just worried I’m going to unscrew something I shouldn’t or damage something. Seems silly since it’s probably a $10 flashlight.

Jobsmart
This is the pic!

Try shaking it. It might just have a magnet and coil for power.

Found it here:

http://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-6119-LED-Worklight-Flashlight/dp/B004XFW128

It seems to have a rechargeable battery, and needs a 6 volt charging adapter. Look at the 6th picture down to see the input for the charging adapter. The name “JobSmart” or “Tekton” is simply the “nom de jour”.

Edit: The USA website shows some negative reviews, in case you are thinking of putting money into this light to get it working.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6119-LED-Worklight-Flashlight/dp/B004XFW128/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Wilson, I couldn’t find it on Amazon when I looked. Thanks for finding it! After looking at their pic I found ours is not exactly the same as this one but the pictures solved the problem. It opened when pulled up as a lantern style much further than ours did. Ours is not a rechargeable. Glad because that would mean his sister gave him a rechargeable light without the charger… otherwise known as a weirdly shaped paperweight. I pulled and jerked the entire top up as hard as I could and it pulled up like the one in the pic. I had never pulled on it that hard because I didn’t think it came up any further and I didn’t want to break it. The pic made me see that it had to pull up further. When I forced it, it came upward and the AAA batteries were in there. Weirdly off brand and mismatched batteries that were not inserted properly. Even when properly aligned they were very weak. New batteries and it works. Long story short (sorta), it works but I’m not sure I would buy one but it was a gift. Now I don’t have to throw it away. Thanks everyone who responded!

Glad you got it working! And by the way, welcome to BLF Tammy! Hope you don’t become a stranger. :bigsmile: