Which flashlight for geocaching?

seriously?? the name? :star:

Ch*nese flashlight brand names are the best!! ( lemme look for Bestfire .. ;) )

that's the BA20, not the PA20, am i wrong

BA20 correct, good price!

I'm unaware of the shops that would sell these kind of lights in the UK. I would need a reasonable runtime but with a very good output still. I have no idea with PWM or current regulated, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each of these? I do not require a clip. Standard cells, mainly AA would be best. I would also consider LiIons - these are the 14500 AA cells, right?

I am in the South East. It will only be simple walks or searching in woods - nothing too extreme!

So far I am leaning towards the Klarus P2A/Jetbeam BA20. Is the Jetbeam considered better than the Klarus? Also any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

others may correct me:

jetbeam is considered a world premium brand and is as prestigious as Fenix. any jetbeam owner can be proud of owning a jetbeam because it is a true brand name product and "original" (well.. Fenix is the classic and all Ch*nese brands take it from there and try to improve the classic designs).

klarus is en par with sunwayman: both are new brands (~1 year of awareness) and already established as respected premium brands. their designs are more sophisticated and "premium-like" than the conservative Fenix (who seems to have run out of ideas and forward momentum). Only few honest and in-depth reviews of klarus and sunawayman torches exist -- their torches are, except for select best-sellers, not as best-selling as the full catalog of Fenix or 4Sevens or Eagletac or jetbeam torches.

luckily the P1A is a knock-off of the jetbeam ba10, and the P2A a knock-off of the jetbeam ba20 .. so we know what quality and performance to expect.

firestarter, check out the Balder SE-1. i dont enjoy its esthetic design, so i would never buy it (e.g. for its performance or whatever). it's a new budget brand and the SE-1 is well received on all forums. not my type of choice, but may suit your needs:

http://www.forolinternas.com/viewtopic.php?p=31234#p31234

Chidwack has both the Klarus and the Jetbeam... he seems to like the Klarus better, but essentially the 2 are sisters. You can't go wrong with either one. I like my P2A a lot, but I am still not sure if mode spacing is optimal for geocaching, but it certainly is a lot brighter on high mode than the Fenix E21 and a lot lower on low mode. Any of those lights will blow the Mag, that you are used to, out of the water. Anyway at currently US$ 24.69 at DD after coupons and surveys the P2A is a steal (31.69-$5 coupon (oneworldweshare)- $2 (survey)). One thing I forgot to mention before, is that the E21 throws a lot further, because it has the tighter beam... might be important when searching for the caches at a longer distance.

i thought kreisler is the shiller for DD haha :bigsmile:

DD?? way to goo!!!

I will always shill for good prices for quality torches... no matter where they come from. ;-)

Do you have to be logged in to see that survey? It doesn't seem to work for me, just says:

Sorry!

The survey you request is not a available right now.Thanks for your participation.

It's a bit annoying as even $24.69 is just over the £15 threshold for customs charges :( I wonder if DD would declare it as much as this? Anyone know or know how much I will be charged? Tempted to get the BA20 that
PickNickeR suggested as it would get here so much quicker but is still quite a bit more than the klarus.

Cheers.

If you decide on the fenix e21, I'm UK based and have one I dont really use.

I wouldn't let it go for pennys but I certainly wouldn't want to make any money.

You have to create an account and have to be logged in to see that survey.

Id flip a coin between the E21 and the P2A and BA20, as you mentioned.

E21 48lumen/150lm (11hours/2.2hrs)

BA20 25lm/219lm (27.5hrs/1.5hrs)

P2A 20lm/245lm (33hrs/1.6hrs)

I have an E21, its very nice, and an P2A on order should arrive in another 2 weeks...

the survey is dead. really.

Oh, good to know... maybe we overdid it a little with saving on DD.

hehe. we did.

and no time or need for remorse.

we profited well, and no more DD surveys mean that it's now even easier for us to move on with life. do a ResellerRatings review and then use up your last dinopoints for a 2pack of fake Trustfire cells, and CU DD in 11 months again!

it's just a pity for those who dropped in too late (end of January).

Anyway, last week i ordered another copy of the popular Tank E09 and i paid full price this time, 13.99$ apiece!!!! ( :bigsmile: ;) )

I couldnt give a good response to this thread because I dont know geocaching from fly fishing. In an effort to resolve that situation, I did a little research, Downloaded an app and hit the trail with my son. We looked for a couple of caches before I realized that the phone app kind of blew. Went home and dug up the old Garmin 12. It took me a while to figure out how to input coordinates, never used it like that before. We tried to find another cache, now with the help of a real, if very old, GPS. The first one we looked for we found! GC28NVE It was pretty cool. First time out, I dont even know if these things are still out there. This one was a couple of years old. We looked around and couldnt find it and I looked one last place before we left and there it was. Great fun.

As far as a light best suited for this activity? Anything you like with the batteries you are comfortable with and an XPG emitter in it. And thanks for the new hobby, both my son and I had a great time.

I can't help you more of what others have done

but ty for let me know that geacaching :) is not popular here but on map I can see 3/4 cache at 30 km to my home

[quote =kreisler]

Anyway, last week i ordered another copy of the popular Tank E09 and i paid full price this time, 13.99$ apiece!!!! ( )

[/quote]

I need paypal and DD invoice to believe you xD

You guys are all wrong.

You should get this:

My first 2xAA light was a Quark AA2 Tactical. My friend liked it and asked me to order him one. After reading about the Jetbeam BA20 I told him he would probably be just as happy with the Jetbeam and it was $20 less. He told me to order 3. I called GoingGear and put in the order. When I asked the salesman if he had anything like the BA20 he said he had the Klarus P2A for the same price. When I asked him which one he liked best he said they were almost identical but he preferred the Klarus just a little better. He said it had a little better tailcap/clicky. I ordered 2 of the Jetbeams and 1 Klarus P2A. The reason I ordered 2 Jetbeams is because they claimed 270 lumens and the Klarus claimed 245 lumens. I should have bought 3 Klarus P2A lights.

Even though they are almost the same, the clicky in the Klarus has just a little better feel IMHO. As far as brightness, the Klarus actually looks brighter to my eyes. It is really hard to tell any difference in the throw but if I had to pick one, the Klarus seems to slightly out throw the Jetbeam. So much for lumens ratings from the manufacture. I only tested battery run time on the high mode and they were within 3 minutes of each other. I couldn't tell the difference between either low mode in brightness. Beams of both were almost exactly the same with the Klarus being just a little cooler.

My friend has one of the Jetbeams and I have a jetbeam and the Klarus. My friend dropped his Jetbeam and it stopped working. He brought it over and I checked it out. Thinking that his tail cap might be bad, I put my tail cap on his light and it worked. I put his tail cap on my Klarus and it worked on my light. Switched it back to his light and it didn't work. I just traded him tailcaps and neither of us has had any problems.

It boils down to this. You can't go wrong with either the Jetbeam BA20 or Klarus P2A. I recently picked up a Klarus ST20 and brightness, battery life and beam pattern is the same or close to the same as my Klarus P2A. GoingGear has the ST20 on sale for the same price as the BA20 and P2A. $39.99 minus 10% when using the discount code. I like the ST20 better because it has more modes and you change the modes with a forward button. I still like my Caveman the best. It's a higher quality light than the others. BTW, my Quark AA2 Tactical is my least favorite of all my 2AA lights.