which flashlight hosts and driver

Hi,
Which flashlight hosts fit 20mm Cooper Star PCB (I know WF501/502b uses 16mm, but I can’t find any information about other flash light hosts - do anybody know a database ? ) ?
And what driver(what is the minimum/maximum specs?) fits this 14V 10W LG3535 Ultra Violet UV 395nm 45degree High Power Led Emitting Diode ?
The size of the flashlight is not important. Whether it uses 2 or 3 x 18650 does not matter.
I hope there are some that will help.
In advance thank you
Michae Larsen, Denmark

And why is the specs for the current of the 14 volt lower than the 7v ?

Current: 350mA-1400mA(7V) 350mA-700mA(14V)

Kind regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark

?

Interesting find on aliexpress, if the pictures are correct those LG UV-leds are pretty up-to-date, they sound like the 3535 G1 series leds, see http://led.lginnotek.com/ :slight_smile:

So you want to fit them in a flashlight? First the specs on Aliexpress are seldom correct, better look on the site I linked above.
The leds on sale have a narrow emission angle so it is nice to use them in a flashlight with a lens instead of a reflector, such as the Uniquefire UF-1406 ( https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009201/1815001-uniquefire-uf-1406-1-led-1200-lumen-5-mode-cool ). The driver in that flashlight will be for 3.5V leds so you will need a new driver that for the 7V version of your quad ledboard (=2 leds parallel, 2 in series) delivers 1A to the leds, divided to 2 strings of 2 leds that is 500mA per led which is the recommended maximum drive current. This driver from Mtn electronics will do the job, but you will have remove 5 of the 8 chips, or ask Richard from MtnElectronics to do that for you.

This is not the whole story, i.e. I think that a 19mm board will fit in the above flashlight so you have to file the tips off, and the driver size may be wrong, have to look that up. But you have a little input to work out now :slight_smile:

Hi Michael,
The specs are the same, the point of view is Power!
P=U*I
(meaning in units: Watts = Volts * Amperes)
So if you double the voltage, the currant has to half vice versa.

As you are obviously not familiar with the basic laws of physics you maybe want to find somebody for help or at least do some basic research before frying your parts :wink:

The quad board has “CREE” printed on it and they seem to be in series configuration, so posssibly these LG emitters share the same footprint than a XP. If this is true then you can reflow them parallel onto a quad MCPCB then use a quad carclo 24mm optic and a simple 3A 7135 based driver with a single cell. Or use only 3 emitters and turn it into a triple.

If the LEDs are in series then it would mean they have vf of 14/4 = 3.5V, and at the rated 3W it means 850mA of drive current which is adequate for this type of emitter.

I see that you want to build the ultimate UV light… The thing with UV emitters is the very low power handling so the only way is more emitters. Maybe a flashlight with a ~50mm head can be used to fit 4x carclo triples, but you would need a custom heatsink. Of course all this assuming they have can use a CREE XP mcpcb, this would be quite complicated and lots of factor come into play.

Or get a cheap SRK style light and stuck a bunch of leds in there. It all depends on how far you modding skills can go. If I were you I would order a single emitter and try it with a low power driver first.

will, these emitters are normal XP-footprint leds with normal voltage. The maximum drive current is 500mA. I found that you can not overdrive UV emitters like you can with white leds, even not on a DTP-board. The limitation is not the heat but physical limitations of the die. 850mA may be a bit too much. Edit: correction: just looked at my test of LG385nm leds (one gen. older than these btw) and on a copper board it can handle 2A, so I was wrong, 850mA is fine.

These leds for sale on Ali have a very elongated dome to give them 55 degrees beam angle, I’m not sure how these optically behave in TIR optics. What I do know is that the UV probably mostly is absorbed by the optic, you need glass optics for UV. (there are a few optical plastics that do transmit UV well but I’m sure a normal Carclo is not made of that).

The SRK idea will work fine, buy a cheap SRK clone, use the stock driver and tune the current by varying the thickness of the led wires, or a resistor in series with the FET on the board. Perhaps the stock configuration is just right if you are lucky. I made a 385nm beast last year, here’s the build thread: my first soup can mod: 9xLG385nm

Okay…Thanks a lot guys. You’re probably right … maybe it’s above my abilities.
Kind regards
Michael larsen, Denmark

No no, that is too easy :wink: , you can just learn how to do it if you want.

We will help you of course, it is just that what you want is not easily for sale without some DIY. You need to do some soldering, and to make the build easier you may need to reflow the leds on a different ledboard (unsoldering them and resoldering). We (or I) can help you with that or do it for you.

#djozz
Thanks djozz :slight_smile: :+1: :+1: All of you should cooperate in making a “bible” (in a PDF file) with the most basic theories and tips on developing LED flashlights :smiley: :+1:

Kind regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark