Which lights do you NOT use, and why? What were your worst buys?

Yep, me too.

I cant say that I have lots of lights, but I have plenty of them and thus, not all of them have seen equal use, some duties have lights rotating through them.

Probably my least used light is Nitecore EA8W simply because its such a thrower and I live in the city :D!

But it will, I know :D!

Not a lot of lights here (yet!). I tend to ‘specialize’ with mine, each for a planned purpose. I don’t always carry my Gerber multi-tool, but with it goes a Tank 007 TK 703 fed with a 10440. I wanted a slender thrower and high lumens. I knew it would be ‘ringy’, and I got all that. But I also got a 30-45 second run-time before it gets extremely hot, and that doesn’t fit the intended purpose. Alki’s run cool enough but lose the exceptional lumens. Not sure if I can find a purpose for it, so it will become my first “mistake” when it’s replacement arrives.

Liking this thread, kind of makes you think about that next purchase doesn’t it?
Phil

It would be the Jacob A60 coz its a pure thrower and I have no use for it apart shining the beam to the sky at night.

I had a Fenix TK75 for a while. It was too big to carry around often, and too throwy to use in a city. Great light, but I gave it to someone who lives in the country where it will actually be useful.

OTOH, I’ve found a Noctigon Meteor to be a lot of fun. Three times the lumens of the TK75 but only a third as much throw. It’s much more useful here.

This zoomie: Deal alert; 18650 size zoomie $3.50 e-bay

Cheapie DX AA angle light : http://www.dx.com/p/stylish-cree-q5-310-lumen-3-mode-led-flashlight-adjustable-angle-1x14500-1xaa-102522#.Ve1tLGdFBjo

....squealed like a stuck pig on low, always had to cycle through strobe to get back to low, and without a diffuser the beam was horrendous. Used it about three minutes total before it quit working; I tossed it in the garbage and never looked back. I can honestly say throwing that light out was immensely satisfying! Worst light I ever owned. I learned a valuable lesson however..."no name lights", proceed with caution.

Dqg 18650 twisty was the bigest fail ever!
I also don’t use a generic c8 from ebay and the ultrafire f13 because of battery rattle.

My DQG’s. Got 3 1st gen 18650’s as groomsmen gifts… uneven anodization, switching problems, generally a disaster. Had to come up with alternate gifts.
Got 3 DQG Tiny AAA’s. Tiny II SS worked great… got a Ti, really liked the newer body, got the SS in the newer gen to match. Ti and new SS both had driver failures.

Not buying DQG anymore.

Admittedly my light collection is minuscule and my X2000 is an 18650 version, but I quite like it. Perhaps it’s because I don’t have much to compare it with, or that I find zoomies most suited to my needs, and it is the least objectionable one I have used.

I want to replace the X2000 but haven’t really found anything that looks like it will be superior. The zeusray looked promising for a while.

My worst light is a “3w super bright” aaa clicky. Terrible tint and a terrible switch that failed after two or so weeks.

A line-up of just part of my mistakes: bad lights, and even not suitable as a host because too flimsy, too heavy, ugly, no heat path, etc.

The FIRE mafia :stuck_out_tongue:

Was wondering when someone was going to bring that one up :slight_smile: Its one of my worst too, but at $3 its nothing and there is much worse out there.

My worst has to be my first LED flashlight purchase other than Photon Fusion headlamp: a “MX Power” $58.99 flashlight which turned out to be a C8 like clone, with a blue LED, 750-400mA current H-L-strobe (mA was not listed at the time and who knows if it is truthful), crappy driver that whines and a cheap switch with some type of crapfire “MX power” batteries. I purchased it since they had a guaranteed return policy but I didn’t read closely about the 15% restocking fee, which in total is probably a good price to purchase the light itself in the first place and still feel cheated. I had gotten it from Gorrilla Gadgets on a recommendation from a friend, don’t ever buy from there, everything I got was cheap junk, phone batteries also rated way above real capacity, nothing was as expected and much more expensive than you can get everywhere else.

I second that caution with DQG 26650 lights, I had 3 in a row that didn’t work right from there, always driver and switch problems. Funny thing is most of the problems don’t show up at first, but they don’t take more than a few days to show up when you use them a couple hours/night. I tend to wonder if the people who like them turn them on for a 5-10mins a couple times then put them away…the problems wouldn’t show up by then if it takes 4-8hrs of usage to show up.

Few weeks ago i ordered a few “sipik sk68” flashlights on dealextreme, but i think they are fake. Very blueish light, low output…
Not gonna use them, just for giveaway…

That doesnt mean I wont participate in BLF budget thrower group buy if when it comes to fruitition :D!
And will check how to upgrade my Jacob A60 with better of the shelf components :)!

Cant you sell them to someone?
Or for scrap :D?

Weird. I have a DQG Tiny AAA IV, and it still works very well after about two years of keychain use. I don’t try to use li-ion cells in it though.

That might be a nice idea, I will dump the lot in a box and make that my 6000th post giveaway when time comes :-) Most are working lights, and some, like the TF-X9 are actually widely appreciated.

Micro mag. I can hardly tell it’s on even when the room is dark.

I don’t use most of mine anymore. I bought loads and loads of cheapies when If first got into lights. I have educated myself a lot since regularly using this site but even then I have got carried away buy some of the ultra cheap no brand offers as seen on here and have regretted buying them all. I now only buy BLF lights or lights that always get mentioned as top choices by you guys. I would guess if I own 30 lights I only ever use 10 of them.