Which multiple AA? Laptop pulls and chargers

What type of rechargeable batteries? Not all batteries are created equal. If they are old NiCd or non LSD NiMH, then you may be disappointed.

Plus, Li-ion batteries and chargers are pretty cheap, so it’s not exactly a huge leap.

As for AA, what sort of size and use? There is a vary wide variety of multi AA lights, from 2AA to 9AA or more. So what you want to use it for is hugely important.

My favourite multi AA light is a Mini Maglite Pro. It’s not perfect, but for it’s size, price and power source is a nice useful light.

Just for clarity….

The EA45S uses 4 AA batteries & has a 34 mm head and takes 34 mm filters.
If you have AA Eneloop rechargeable’s, they work great in this light. (that is what I use in mine). If you don’t have any, use up and wear out what you do have and then get you some. :wink:

The EC4 Series (there are 5 of them ) are all 18650 lights with a 40 mm head. They all take 40 mm filters.

As far as simple chargers for Li Ion batteries, there are many. LiitoKala Lii 500 is a good one that does both Li Ion & Ni Mh batteries. It will also analyse batteries, but is still extremely simple to use. Xtar also makes several great chargers, as well as OPUS.

For me, the problem with lithium-ion batteries is not their safety or cost, it’s finding a reliable supply of quality cells that I can have shipped to me (at a reasonable cost). It’s almost impossible to find a local source of reputable cells, and shipping now seems impossible by air (or any method) to Canada.

:person_facepalming: … Whoa…… that would be a big problem. . :person_facepalming:
If you live close to the border you need to visit someone in the USA or either have them visit you…. after one of you receives a battery order of course. :smiley:

All the elliptical lenses I’ve seen are 20mm diameter (work fine in e.g. Convoy S2+ and most other tube lights, and several headlamps I use too)
They come in a variety from “fat circle” oval to long narrow “light bar” output.
They are very nice. Try asking at mtbr.com, someone will know where to find bigger ones if they exist.

I have normal eneloop and the latest pro eneloops. I have been looking into xtar, opus and the liitakola chargers. All seem very good. I was thinking of going for the xtar vp2 as I have a charger for the eneloop. From reading all the reviews and loads of research all the mentioned chargers are good but I’m led to believe the opus and liitakola chargers are good but not excellent at everything. On the other hand the xtar vp2 is a very good charger but have less features then the other two.

What I can use help with is the following which will help my decision on which charger to get. I have 3 old laptops with dead batteries. Actually 2 are dead and one laptop battery holds very little charge. The laptops are useless so I was thinking of recycling the batteries from the laptops.

Firstly is it worth pulling apart the laptop batteries to see if they can be salvaged? Two of the laptops are very old. They take floppy disks.

Secondly which of these chargers will serve me best in trying to revive these dead cells? I will of course buy a few new 18650 batteries too.

Tbh I don’t have much hope in the laptop batteries so it may be a case of buying the opus or liitakola charger only to find the batteries are non salvageable. Just for the information the laptops have not been used for a good 7 years or so.

Any advice?

Again thanks to everyone for all the information regarding chargers filters etc.

Plenty of advice. Best not to try to get it all into a thread about multiple-Aa flashlights, if you don’t mind my saying so.

Either use the site search button (upper left corner) and change the default to results by date

Or if that fails to work for you (adblockers and script blockers and the phase of the moon seem to screw site search up, at least for me)
use Google.

This will give you a start:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abudgetlightforum.com+laptop+battery+cell+salvage

use the search tool settings to adjust and narrow the results by date or added/reduced keywords

Here for example is a narrowed-down search, “verbatim” and “past year” and added keyword:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abudgetlightforum.com+laptop+battery+cell+salvage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=site:budgetlightforum.com+laptop+battery+cell+salvage&safe=off&tbs=qdr:y

It’s a big complicated subject with some significant cautions important to understand.
Before you try it, make sure you know when NOT to inhale.

Like hank said much, much info about lap top pulls, Li Ion batteries, etc., etc. … tons of it. And there are definitely some basics it is imperative you familiarize yourself with concerning Li Ion batteries.
But it is your thread if you want to edit the title and go for some of it here. :wink:

As far as the charger goes, I have all three you mentioned. They are all good. But if you are going to try the laptop pull option at some time. I personally would go for the LiitoKala Lii 500 or OPUS. They will both do the job, the OPUS is just a slight bit faster at it. And either one of them will also do NI Mh in addition to Li Ion.

So1oled, here are some things I have found helpful. This is just the tip of the iceberg as to the info that is available. But it should give you a good start as to some good places to find answers to your questions… from the easy ones to as deep as you want to go.

My advice would be to pay close attention to the safe handling & treatment of LiIon batteries, follow those suggestions, and chances are you will have a long & harmonious outcome with Li Ion’s. :slight_smile:

Got any more questions or something you don’t understand, just ask…… someone will most likely be glad to answer. :slight_smile:

Lithium Ion Battery Safety 101

How to see if a battery is protected

Rechargeable Batteries / BLF

Flashlight Wiki

Battery University

Thanks a lot guys. Plenty of reading to do.

Your welcome So1oled. The links I put will hopefully just kinda keep you from having to search some of this stuff out. But rest assured there is much more information out there if you need it.
But this will hopefully give you a start. :slight_smile: