Which Skyray King do I buy? 3-6-7-8 leds?

what about economy sky ray on ebay?
they can be good?

Hi there, I’m pretty new here and am glad I found these forums. I also just bought an SRK, from that high fee auction site. It’s a 4 led model. Boy is it bright! And has throw. It has what I guess you would call a shelf right underneath the led star. I also bought 4 really high power 5000 mah 18650 batteries. They are ultrafire batteries. Tonight I am going to see if I can take out the circuit board. Maybe I can mod something in there. I’m going to do a search for SRK here and start reading up. From what I am seeing so far,looks like there are plenty of mods available.

This isn’t quite correct. The driver will pull the same amps (assuming the drivers are the same) no matter how many LEDs. So the runtime will be the same or near enough.

I believe a good Skyray King pulls approx 7.5 amps tail cap. This means on a:

3 led you get 7.5 / 3 = 2.5 amp per emitter

4 led = 1.9 amp per emitter

6 led = 1.25 amp per emitter

If you look at the Cree data sheets most leds are more efficient at lower currents. This means in total more LEDs while they will have more losses (more wire, etc). Should in theory produce more lumens in total. It certainly won’t be less. Not at this number of LEDs anyhow. Driving the emitters less hard will also produce less heat. So you’ll probably get a more stable output assuming your batteries are up to the task.

As for the reflectors. Smaller shallower reflectors will offer less focused hot spot and a more diffused corona to spill beam. i.e. Less throw and more flood. OTF lumens are likely to be unchanged or even slightly better.

Cool.

Did I say something wrong?

what Jubeldum is trying to say is that u might wanna do a search on batteries first.

Ultrafire batteries are not reliable. try some brandname batteries like sanyo, panasonic, LG, Samsung, etc

Had no idea! That’s pretty low, to sell these batteries like this when there not too good. I wonder how much they actually hold. I don’t have any way to test them.

Any love for UrAnusFire batteries? :smiley:

UltraFire batteries hold up nicely. Some of them come with magic powder inside of them. :bigsmile:

As long as it isn't MyAnusFire, knock yourself out! :evil:

No idea about your cells but I tested some for a buddy and of the 4 I tested they were all between 675 and 1000 mah. Lesson learned for you and him - well hopefully learned

Do you already own a battery charger? If not then consider the Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 since it can not only charge your batteries but measure the current available, discharge your batteries and measure the internal resistance too.

Here is a review of it Opus BT-C3100 v2.1

I forget which endor sells it for the best price but it seems it is in the $36.95-39.95 range.

It's not the capacities of the UltraFire batteries that you need to question....but do you want to risk a catastrophic failure to life and limb (not to mention home FIRE) by using them and saving a few bucks. I think NOT.

If it was not already mentioned there is a great set of tests for all kinds of batteries here.

a data point.
i got a deal on amazon for 6 securityling 3 led version last week.
seller stated they were last of the old sku.
so is the new sku cheapened?
these are the good ones with the threaded shelf.
we of course could hope the new sku is improved but as srk’s go i doubt that.

here is a good review of the skyray king:

I don’t think there’s such a thing as “THE” SkyRayKing.
They’re all clones and clones of clones…

(edit) …and welcome to BLF :slight_smile:

Do yourself a self righteous and Read HERE

There is info to sign up for nice batteries too.

If you want an SRK, READ my friend ;)

Actually, there used to be authentic SkyRay Kings (3 emitters). Things got nasty when the clones started to appear…

Of course, it started with the genuine SkyRayKing, but that was years ago.