Which solder to buy???

It’s called a joke, sarcasm, humour, exaggeration.

oh. sorry.

i honestly didnt want to risk antagonizing you to the point you refuse to do another ray trace attempt, lol… you are far too valuable, as the only guy i have ever seen can do them on demand…

Any experience with the AIM Sn/Ag/Cu/Sb alloys trademarked as CASTIN?

Melts at 217C and is stated to be compatible with flux chemistries used with Sn/Pb type solders.

It is available in cored wire spools.

I see a couple of vendors regularly selling it on eBay.

http://www.aimsolder.com/technical-articles/comparing-mechanical-and-soldering-properties-castintm-babbitt-and-alternative

http://www.tayloredge.com/periodic/lists/CASTIN.pdf

www.psinter.com/downloads/aim/A_Study_of_Lead-Free_Solder_Alloys.pdf

Hell everything’s bad for you. Being a weekend solder, can’t be anything like welding for a living and the fumes that come from that. My uncled welded his whole life now in his 60s. No respirator or anything besides a face mask and when just tacking a couple pieces together you just close your eyes when the arc is going

I have a pound roll of the old fashioned Kester that works just fine. When someone shows me some lead free solder that works as well as what I have, I’ll make the switch, *after *I use up the roll I’ve got. (I bought this roll over 5 years ago, and there is more than 75% left.)

The big push for lead free came about when consumer electronics started to move into the waste stream. Remember when you bought a television and it lasted nearly forever? Even when it broke, you went to a repair shop and some bright kid (probably one of US!) poked around inside it, found the problem and fixed it. Pepperidge Farms remembers. Now we got them new fangled electronics that are so cheap that it isn’t worth fixing. More and more electronical stuff gets thrown away, creating a need for more, new electronics. All those circuit boards with trace amounts of valuable elements like gold and lead and so on are simply never going to biodegrade in a landfill. So some poor schmuck in a third world country (usually) decides to put a bunch of them in a pit and burn it to melt the lead and gold out - releasing plumes of toxic FR4 smoke, along with the lead oxide and who knows what other nasties. Thus creating a small amount of ‘recycled’ material, a huge amount of pollution, a new superfund site, ongoing health issues for everyone nearby, and a subsistence income. So the Powers That Be decided to DO Something. OBVIOUSLY the problem is the lead, so removing it is the solution! Getting the various hazardous substances out of electronics is no doubt a good idea. But let’s not turn solder into a boogieman that people are afraid of.

The smoke from soldering is vaporized flux. It’s not good for you, but it aint ‘lead fumes’. Don’t chew on the solder. Wash your hands when you are done soldering. Don’t lick circuit boards. Responsibly recycle your electronics.

kester “44” 63-37.
second would be multicore 63-37.
end of discussion.
if lead was as bad as it is made out to be i would have been gone long ago.
after casting several thousand pounds a year of muzzleloader bullets and balls,soldering since i was 6,and my current pound a week habit doing manufacturing of boards i am none the worse for it.
just dont eat it!